Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best of old skool Dublin!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭leiwand

hanging out in the coffee inn on south anne street i think it was called .one cup of tea lasted at least two hours.people watching outside hmv grafton street.

the wonderful 3 o'clock gigs in mcgonagles instilled a deep and abiding love for live music.garden hasn't changed much,golden horde, guernica and something happens.

attending the grove in raheny ,knacker drinking in st annes park,asking 20 women up to dance!!

william tell,my fake usit card and the gorgeous women inside..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Programming Sinclair ZX80 home computers for hours, only to find there's a code error and you've to wait for next months magazine to get a correction.

Being blown away by the power and speed of the Amiga 500 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Actually walking home from school! Do kids still do that? And taking shortcuts home that actually took you miles out of your way and involved the canal or some patch of waste ground...

I also miss The Bunch of Grapes pub on Clanbrassil Street; some of my first legal pints were had there :).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Having fields of crops and cows within 2miles of the city.

Watching punks getting mohawks in the barbers (think it was called the A1) upstairs on the corner of Mary St. and Caple st and being AMAZED!

CJH arriving by helicopter to open new parks for gluebags and bootboys.

Bonfires that included the prish priest's morris minor.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Speaking of Bonfires,does anybody remember them on roads...?There used to be loads on the roads around Donnycarney.Absolutely crazy and very unsafe.

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote: »
    Speaking of Bonfires,does anybody remember them on roads...?There used to be loads on the roads around Donnycarney.Absolutely crazy and very unsafe.
    Ha! Donnyer...it was Father Quigley's Morris minor I was thinkig of too! About '79-'80. The same PP was on Ripley's 'believe it or not'(Jack palance doing it back then) claiming he saw a monster whilst out fishing on a lake. When they ran outta PPs cars the Bollards could usually be relied apon to fan the flames with an electric milk float from Premier Dairys. (Only kidding...the place was fort knocks on hollo'een). It was left to the Reilly's to get it!!

P.S. The hardest, toughest ever monicker held by a human being must go to Stum Bollard. Quite an ok guy now but what a name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

humberklog wrote: »
    Watching punks getting mohawks in the barbers (think it was called the A1) upstairs on the corner of Mary St. and Caple st and being AMAZED!

The Classic Barbers. I got my first skinheads there..

I looked like this fella >>>> :o

Mairt wrote: »
    The Classic Barbers. I got my first skinheads there..

I looked like this fella >>>> :o

The Classic did a great flat top too :)!! I had my one and only mohawk done there... the Company Sergeant had a fit when he saw it but couldn't do a thing about it. He had me barred from the NCO's mess though until it grew out :mad:!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Just for the record lads.Americans called them Mohawks,everybody in ireland called them mohicans.
    I was more a pole-spikes sort of person.
    Get booze in Baggot st Superquin then drink them in stephen's green before heading to the Last Resort which was upstairs in the Plough in abbey st.
    It was a mental place,i dont know how they ever made money,people would go in with flagons down thier trousers,and weirdos would be dishing out strange tablets to all and sundry.

I always called them mohawks because I just left a one inch wide number two strip on top as in the 101st Airbourne combat cut.

• Advertisement

I'm with Degs on the Mohican too (although my original post said Mohawk. Been so many years). The Classic! that was it. Flat tops and tennis balls for the nippers. Mohicans for the grown ups.
    The plough was a cracking under-age spot but thought it'd a different name upstairs when I was drinking there than The Last Resort.

Back to OP... A kicking from someone that went to THE TECH left a lot more marks for a lot longer...and they all did something called The Group Cert. Some fecking group(all shoulda been certified alright).

The neptune Lounge.That was a great pub in its day.You could smoke joints there,drink your on booze anything,unless of course you were caught and barred by grumpyhole Paddy who worked there.
    Nowadays its hardly open once a week and the life has gone from the place,along with the pint-nicking priest!

boneless wrote: »
    I always called them mohawks because I just left a one inch wide number two strip on top as in the 101st Airbourne combat cut.

Okay audie Murphy its all over now ;)

Degsy wrote: »
    The neptune Lounge.That was a great pub in its day.You could smoke joints there,drink your on booze anything,unless of course you were caught and barred by grumpyhole Paddy who worked there.
    Nowadays its hardly open once a week and the life has gone from the place,along with the pint-nicking priest!
    <SNIP> if I recall. He'd been de-badged(ahem)years and he still wore the collar. He was one dirty skinny little mickey-fiddler. But he made for a richer enviroment in a more complex tapestry.
    They started running comedy there a while back on a Friday (battle of the axe, run by the odious and repetitive <SNIP>).
    Upstairs is still well kept and Laura ain't bad on the eye.

Is the Goalpost still serving these days? A good pub for the smoke was The Suffolk lounge, where Thing Mote was and now presently O'Donoghues re-deux on Suffolk St. Bikers and tokers all welcome. I hadn't got a bike but plenty of the other.

<SNIP> Gone!? Or at least not mentioned in years.

<SNIP> if I recall. He'd been de-badged(ahem)years and he still wore the collar. He was one dirty skinny little mickey-fiddler. But he made for a richer enviroment in a more complex tapestry.
    They started running comedy there a while back on a Friday (battle of the axe, run by the odious and repetitive <SNIP>).
    Upstairs is still well kept and Laura ain't bad on the eye.

Is the Goalpost still serving these days? A good pub for the smoke was The Suffolk lounge, where Thing Mote was and now presently O'Donoghues re-deux on Suffolk St. Bikers and tokers all welcome. I hadn't got a bike but plenty of the other.

<SNIP> Gone!? Or at least not mentioned in years.

As far as i know the priest's name was father <SNIP>.He was forever mastrurbating in the bogs and sneaking around the place stinging drinks and cadging off people.I actually never met anybody who liked him.
    Another well-known face in there in those days was < the convict cum poet who was diagnosed with AIDS and later killed himself.
    Saturday nights would often have live music,ie two bird with guitars doing cover versions or a bloke with a beard reading peotry.Different times.
    The comdey club was initially run by the odious <SNIP> but he figured coming in to work was too much hassle so stepped down.
    Before that they'd attempted to turn the Nep into a Piano bar..ie a guy with a hammond organ and no customers.
    upstairs is not bad but not a patch on the glory days of teh neptune.Pete the barman is now a key-jangler in one of the state penetentiaries!

<SNIP>

As far as i know the priest's name was father <SNIP>.
    The comdey club was initially run by the odious <SNIP>

<SNIP>
    Think you're right on F.<SNIP>
    Who's <SNIP>? Is it the guy with the slicked back brown hair,30's wears black and sees himself as a kinda Bill Hicks/Richard Lewis of Dublin?
    Soapbar my arse.

Think you're right on F.<SNIP>
    Who's <SNIP>? Is it the guy with the slicked back brown hair,30's wears black and sees himself as a kinda Bill Hicks/Richard Lewis of Dublin?
    Soapbar my arse.

Thats him,he's got a haircut like Denis Waterman in Minder..going bald on top,attempt to grow it long at the back.He usually could be found downstairs sitting to the bar.Usually sports a cheap-looking leather jacket and has a smig.
    Soapbar's all thats around unless you're in the serious know!

Thats him,he's got a haircut like Denis Waterman in Minder..going bald on top,attempt to grow it long at the back.He usually could be found downstairs sitting to the bar.Usually sports a cheap-looking leather jacket and has a smig.
    Soapbar's all thats around unless you're in the serious know!

That's the <SNIP>! I'd words with him about a year ago outside <SNIP>. He got angry with the audience because he wasn't funny and I buried him with a heckle. He got arsey outside having a fag and I nearly threw'm back down the stairs. Only that <SNIP> (barmaid) was about I didn't finish the job. Painfully I'd to sit at a table with him about 6month later as it turns out we'd acquaintances in common ("serious know" aquaintances). He'd the cheek to ask for a drink to make up!? I don't wanna make up! A hateful twat. Yep that's the guy, gank leather jacket and disguising baldness.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

OK lads - no more names of people or venues associated with illicit activities!

Please use the PM function instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

gogglebok wrote: »
    Disturbing typo of the week....

I miss the Lancer in Rathmines. Not the most salubrious place, and I saw one very scary fight there between two army guys, but there was a good friendly crowd most nights.

Is this now the Rathmines Inn?

• Advertisement

ybody else remember Bartley Dunnes(now gone so it should be okay to mention)?In its final years it was an utter den of iniquity.The only people who drank there were bikers,dealers,rockers.junkies and asshole punk rockers like myself.We were sitting in there,zonked on night when a bloke actually drove a motorbike the length of the pub.Another time there was advance warning the place was gonna be raided so everybody in the place left,by the time the cops got there the barmaid was serving two german blokes orange juice in an otherwise empty pub on a saturday night

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Temple bar - Damcus and DV8.

Damcus where you got your levis for €5.00

DV8 were you got your rockabilly shoes

sorry, i am not from Dublin, so i havent got any old memories except for temple bar but i suppose those shops were around 20 years ago

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

HydeRoad wrote: »
    The Mayfair Grill on O'Connell Street (is that Ann Summers now?) for the sausage and chips. All the waitresses were ould dears who looked like they'd been in the job since the war! There was one really doddery one in particular, who was always forgetting things, and getting the orders wrong. She'd take your order, then potter halfway down the aisle and stop, and stare vacantly into space, with a bewildered look on her face...!

there was also the few winos who would throw a tantrum every now and then. Scary for a 6yr old...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Thread is 4 years old. Locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement