Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Gaming? (Probably the wrong place to post this)

Options
  • 30-08-2008 2:45am

Yes, I don't know where else i can post this, but I think this is the appropriate place.. :confused:

Anyway,

I have a PC but i don't have any real interest in games these days (Original X-Box was my last and favourite console).

Anyway, to get straight to the point:

I seen GTA 4 Is coming out on El PC-o and I'm vaguely interested in it*. If I do decide to get it, I'd like to get online with it.

So my question is:

How do i go about playing such games online?

Is it a lot of hassle? does it cost (much) money?

(Also, does anyone know what kinda specifications my PC would need to run GTA 4 comfortably? are there any games that would be similar that i could check out before hand?)

Cheers to anyone that can be of help :)

*I didn't put this in the GTA sub-board because its more online-orientated, and the GTA board looks pretty dead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Yes, I don't know where else i can post this, but I think this is the appropriate place.. :confused:
    So my question is:

How do i go about playing such games online?
    Is it a lot of hassle? does it cost (much) money?

Basically you make sure you have broadband and you start the game and hit the big "multiplayer button" when you are in the game menu. Thats it! There is no real magic or voodoo about this, it really is that simple.

The game will then list a number of servers,listing their names, ping(response time, the lower the number the less lag for playing on that server for you), how many people are playing on that server, what type of game etc. You then select the game you want to join and hit the join button.

Cost will be free, the vast majoirty of online games are free bar MMOs such as eve online, World of Warcraft, Age of Conan where you have to pay upfront to play.

Servers are provided by individuals or groups/clans who want to play multiplayer GTA4. Sometimes groups of people get together and rent a server for the playing of GTA4 and they can either leave the server public for anyone to join or make it private so only those with the password can join.

The vast majority of servers will be free and public.
    (Also, does anyone know what kinda specifications my PC would need to run GTA 4 comfortably? are there any games that would be similar that i could check out before hand?)
    *I didn't put this in the GTA sub-board because its more online-orientated, and the GTA board looks pretty dead.

I honestly don't know but I would assume you would need at least either a pentium 4/Athlon XP 3000+ and a geforce 6/ radeon X800 series as a bare as a base line spec to play it on low settings.

If you post you details in the building and upgrading forum you can get advice on what are your upgrade options.

First off, cheers for the reply. Much appreciated :)

uberpixie wrote: »
    Basically you make sure you have broadband and you start the game and hit the big "multiplayer button" when you are in the game menu. Thats it! There is no real magic or voodoo about this, it really is that simple.

The game will then list a number of servers,listing their names, ping(response time, the lower the number the less lag for playing on that server for you), how many people are playing on that server, what type of game etc. You then select the game you want to join and hit the join button.

Cost will be free, the vast majoirty of online games are free bar MMOs such as eve online, World of Warcraft, Age of Conan where you have to pay upfront to play.

Servers are provided by individuals or groups/clans who want to play multiplayer GTA4. Sometimes groups of people get together and rent a server for the playing of GTA4 and they can either leave the server public for anyone to join or make it private so only those with the password can join.

The vast majority of servers will be free and public.

So it wont be a long over-complicated procedure? Literally just pick play online and what server? Sounds a little too straightforward...

I honestly don't know but I would assume you would need at least either a pentium 4/Athlon XP 3000+ and a geforce 6/ radeon X800 series as a bare as a base line spec to play it on low settings.

If you post you details in the building and upgrading forum you can get advice on what are your upgrade options.

I have two questions in relation to this (I can use a PC for general internet and messing around, but don't know much more than that :o)

1. How do I find out the details of my own PC? (I Have Vista, thats about all i know)

2. Can you link me to the forum you suggested i should post in? Boards.ie is huge, and i rarely ever venture outside of the Pro-Wrestling forum, so although i've been here a little while, i've never really looked around anywhere :(

Again, though, thanks for the info you gave me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

So it wont be a long over-complicated procedure? Literally just pick play online and what server? Sounds a little too straightforward...

Thats all there is to it with most games. Its really simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Dixy

First off, cheers for the reply. Much appreciated :)

It does sound strightforward, and normally it is just that simple. Take Call of Duty 4 for example, you get 2 shortcuts on your desktop when you install it, 1 for singleplayer - 1 for multiplay. Click multiplayer and pick a server, that it. You can make it more difficult by filtering servers and setting up the graphic and sound options but leave these to optimal and you should be fine.

I have two questions in relation to this (I can use a PC for general internet and messing around, but don't know much more than that :o)

1. How do I find out the details of my own PC? (I Have Vista, thats about all i know)

2. Can you link me to the forum you suggested i should post in? Boards.ie is huge, and i rarely ever venture outside of the Pro-Wrestling forum, so although i've been here a little while, i've never really looked around anywhere :(

Again, though, thanks for the info you gave me :)

Ok as for your pc spec's you say its on Vista so should be fairly new, start with right click on "My Computer" and click on properties. This will show you the Chip (hopefully Core2Duo) and how much RAM you have. You should also see your pc rating as calculated by Vista and anything like a score of 4 to 5 should run GTA4 fairly well.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842 Link to the Building and Upgrading forum, the lads over there are excellent for helping out with your kind of questions but before you post do some homework and get as much info as you can on your machine, Make and Model Number, Motherboard, chip installed, RAM, Graphics card that kinda stuff.
    Happy gaming mate and if you are looking for some lads to game with when it does come out check out www.irish-esports.com and join us on the forums for chat on all sorts of games.

Thanks for all the help thus far.. I'm just gonna post one more question (and then I'll mooch about the net to see how i find out every little aspect of my PC and persecute the guys in the Building and Upgrading forum :P)

At a glance.. Do you think i'd be OK? I just don't want to spend too much €€ on playing games (as i imagine GTA4 will be the only one i'd play).

specs.jpg

Again, thank you all very much :)

• Advertisement

:):) Mate i would be amazed it that machine failed to run any game its a monster. The only thing it doesnt list is the graphics but with a score of 5.2 its got to be good, 8800 gtx or close to it. Dont bother with the upgrade forums, you dont need it.

try this link http://www.srtest.com/referrer/srtest, it will tell what games you can run and how well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

According to HP's site that machine has an nVidia 8500GT graphics card that shares memory with your system RAM. That's a bit weak but probably will run GTA4, just not with all the bells and whistles turned on. The rest of your system looks fine (quad core, 3GB, etc).

Blah... Failed straight away.

I just randomely picked a game, i got: Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and my results are:

failed.jpg

Stephen wrote: »
    According to HP's site that machine has an nVidia 8500GT graphics card that shares memory with your system RAM. That's a bit weak but probably will run GTA4, just not with all the bells and whistles turned on. The rest of your system looks fine (quad core, 3GB, etc).

Any idea how i could go about changing that, or how much it would cost?

I'd rather not bother with the game at all if I'm getting a crappier version of it than i should have :(

Ignore that its only a speed test it doesnt take into account yours is a Quad core chip, that pc would easily run CoD4 on medium settings, That link is a guide only and while it is correct that your CPU speed is low its a quad core chip well capable of handleing gaming.
    The final question that has not been answered in relation to online gaming is how good your Broadband connect is. Try www.speedtest.net and it will tell you ping, download and upload speeds. Click the nearest yellow triangle, hopefully ping is between 20 to 60. This would be perfect for online, anything higher is a still okish but if you get over 100 to 150 it will be a little laggy.

• Advertisement

Would that be good? bad? indifferent?

ping.jpg

I think it should be OK. I had a 360 running off my internet connection at one time and it was ok (as far as i noticed anyway). But obviously, I'm not familiar with how PC's operate, so...

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

lol you're sorted man

Mate just buy the game there is nothing you need to do.
    The pc is fine and the broadband connection is perfect
    Happy gaming

Apparently not. An Upgrading and Building guy reckons I'll have to settle for it being El Crapo unless i upgrade my video card:

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    The game chugs alot when there is lots of stuff on screen on the PS3.Both xbox360 and ps3 have much better video cards than 8500gt, so your going to need to get a decent to play it good.

If thats the only game you are interested in, wait until the game is nearly out in November and get the best card you can get for under €100, probably 8800gt.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57088771&posted=1

Typical :(

I may just buy the game and hope for the best, and if it sucks ass, i'll look into getting it sorted out. But i don't want to have a skipping, chugging game.. that'd drive me insane :(

The hardware in a PC is not directly comparable to the hardware in a console. I'd take that post with a grain of salt. Best way to see how it will do is to download a demo of a recent game and see how it runs. If it works fine then GTA 4 will probably work fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Indeed you pc is good but the 3d card is bad. I wouldn't really consider that a gaming card. 8600GT + really. and even that's a bit low for GTA.

How much money are you willing to spend m8?

Slapping in a new 3d card is pretty straight forward tbh!
    Stephen wrote: »
    The hardware in a PC is not directly comparable to the hardware in a console. I'd take that post with a grain of salt. Best way to see how it will do is to download a demo of a recent game and see how it runs. If it works fine then GTA 4 will probably work fine too.

True , but I know my gfx cards. The 8500 can barley be considered one. If may run it, but only on a low rezz with all the graphics options on low.

Fact of the matter is if he wants to play GTA4 smoothly and on nice settings, he's gonna need a better card.

Well yes, and an 8800GT can be had for peanuts - assuming that PC has a regular PCI-E x16 port.

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Indeed you pc is good but the 3d card is bad. I wouldn't really consider that a gaming card. 8600GT + really. and even that's a bit low for GTA.

How much money are you willing to spend m8?

Slapping in a new 3d card is pretty straight forward tbh!

True , but I know my gfx cards. The 8500 can barley be considered one. If may run it, but only on a low rezz with all the graphics options on low.

Fact of the matter is if he wants to play GTA4 smoothly and on nice settings, he's gonna need a better card.

I'd ideally like to spend between €0-€1, but thats not likely.

Realistically speaking.. How much do you expect i'll pay?

Would you agree with what has been said here then:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055367344

:confused:

You'd get a new 8800GT for about €130-150. Might be worth looking around adverts.ie for a second hand one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well m8, oyur pc is prety good, but it has a few bad points for a pc gamer.

1. This Cpu is good for servers, but for gaming quad cores are much better, To be honest where did you even got pc in ireland with these cpus :D
    2. your graphic card is not that good m8, but it can be easy sorted, just go to www.play.com and buy a 8800gt, its cheaper then bag od chips now. And it will be enought for moust games atm, and near future.

now about gaming it self, you will install game, update game, maybe create a game account, and press multiplayer button.

now this is the why pc gaming is not popular in ireland, people think here its too complicated. But its not!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

you can gauge the performance of your card versus other cards here
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/graphics-cards/3dmark06-v1-0-2-hdr-sm3-0-score,538.html

I'd ideally like to spend between €0-€1, but thats not likely.

Realistically speaking.. How much do you expect i'll pay?

Would you agree with what has been said here then:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055367344

:confused:

k, I read that thread.

1st of all, seriously man...seriously. Installing a graphics card into your pc is NO HASSLE at all. You don't seem to know anything about PC gaming at all, people (such as myself) build their own PC's from scratch all the time.

Sticking a video card in your pc is very common stuff. Its not like getting a part for your car engine or something man.

Closer to buying a new joypad for your console tbh.

Us pc gamers would be adding bits and bobs to our PC's all the time, replacing this, slotting in that.. its all very standard stuff. Its like lego tbh, you just slot the things in.

I know opening it up and looking in , it might seem really complicated and stuff but man, its just plastic and wires. Relax.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=5ILrq7lMe-0

Now, what those guys said there is true, you will need to find out how powerful your PSU is.

PSU = powersupply, its what actually powers all the parts on your computer, its what you stick the plug into.

heres a pic of one on its own : http://www.pcper.com/images/reviews/206/PSU-1.jpg

heres a pic of one in a case http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/fawsa/c2psu.jpg

look at the PC in the backgroud in that pic. See the metal box above the mother board? thats the PSU.

You need to find out how powerful your psu is. Eg 300w, 650w 500w, what ever.

That way we can know what kinda card your pc can take as I doubt your gonna wanna buy a new PSU AND GFX card + GTA4 hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If you already have a 360 then why not just play GTAIV online with that?

PC gaming is expensive. 160 lids for a new graphics card?

Crikey.

I dont have a 360. My brother does. I've never been interested in getting one, bu ti wouldn't mind picking up GTA IV, but don't want to buy it only to have to put it to one side because its horribly crap on my PC. :(

Did you read my post or what man? :confused:

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Did you read my post or what man? :confused:

I did indeed (and thank you very much for the help, by the way), but the other thread in the building and upgrrading forum is after becoming a little more complicated.

My PSU is 300W (I feel weird using these technical terms) so the graphics card that has been recommended by most (8800GT) will apparently not work on my PC now. So some people in the thread are suggesting a "4760" as that will work on my PC, but I don't want to get it if its not going to be much use (as i said in the other thread, i dont want to go from crap to crap).

So now i don't know if i'd be better off buying stuff to get higher than 300W or if i should just get the graphics card that they're now suggesting (4760) or what to do. :confused:

I just want the game to play as if it were on a console. No hassle or messing about or having the game start skipping and so forth, you know :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 DeathMachine

Did you not even read the responses given on the thread in building and upgrading? The 4670 is a fast card, for example it will run Call of Duty 4 at a greater visual level then your 360 will and it pisses all over the pathetic 8500GT. How you can still think that you could be going from crap to crap is beyond me, it couldn't be made any clearer if we held you down and screamed it into your face. Maybe stick with your 360 if you won't even listen to what's being said!

Did you not even read the responses given on the thread in building and upgrading? The 4670 is a fast card, for example it will run Call of Duty 4 at a greater visual level then your 360 will and it pisses all over the pathetic 8500GT. How you can still think that you could be going from crap to crap is beyond me, it couldn't be made any clearer if we held you down and screamed it into your face. Maybe stick with your 360 if you won't even listen to what's being said!

People recommended it, but never said if it was much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I'm bookmarking this thread for the next time someone protests that PC gaming/upgrading isn't confusing at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 DeathMachine

People recommended it, but never said if it was much better.

Some quotes from that thread. You don't think it's obvious? Even if you somehow had never heard of 'google', the naming schemes alone, along with the benchmarks that were actually posted of the recommended card, make it completely obvious that the 4670 is infinitely better then your current card.
    Ok just looked it up, you have a Geforce 8500GT - unfortunately, if it supports GTAIV, I would imagine it would do so only at low settings at best. The 8500GT is a budget piece, and only marginally faster then the old 6600GT, which really scrapes the bottom of the barrel for new releases.
    Keep an eye out for the HD4670 it fits the bill as a good all-rounder, with low power requirements, excellent performance for high-ish resolution gaming, HD capability with sound via HDMI and not expensive.
    Go with Terror's advice and sell your 8500gt on adverts, which should get 30 or 35, Ati have a new card coming out " HD4670 " which is suppose to be really fast for under €65.They are saying it will perform the same as 9600gt.Komplett have them instock, but they are always expensive.
    Reviews for the HD4670 are out.

Crysis @ 1440 x900 on medium settings, runs @ 49FPS.Amazing when you think they cost €60, need no external power needed, they're a sweet card.I bet they overclock very well too.

rtrbcdoa73v3eb8d6g99_thumb.png

http://www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/f...25/#post223129
    8800gt would be about 15% faster than a 9600gt, in some games they are evenly matched others the 8800gt would be a bit quicker.The 4670 going by previews will be about 5 - 10% slower than 9600gt, but it doesnt require a good power supply and its only going to be €60 or so.

Where in that does it suggest that anyone forgot to mention how good the card was??

Advertisement