Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra classes

Options
  • 30-08-2008 3:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭

has anyone elses timetable been tweaked because of doiing higher subjects?
    insted of the standard 5 maths classes a week ive now got 7 including one after school on wednesdays.
    and my chemistry class has been told well more then likely be staying behind on thursdays in order to cover the course.

i understand that theese classes are nesecary to cover the extra work needed for higher level subjects but is anyone else getting the "ah for gods sake" effect from them?

and aswell my guidence class has been replaced with honors maths so im going to have to find another class who has guidence when ive drama or religion in order to take it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Yeah, we had one more class a week for English and Irish in 6th year than we did in 5th year. I did all HL so I had to do extra classes during lunch and after school. I remember doing them for Maths, Physics, Biology and Irish (especially just before the Irish Orals)

It's a tad annoying but I didn't really mind - they did help a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

yeah think its only the shock of the first day back that got me so flustered.once its routine i wont even notice it.thankfully they cant rob our lunch times because its only 30 minutes and they aint that cruel so stop us eating.:)

were being sent to things out side of school for some suject like some english lectures in trinity that we have no details on yet but apparently theyre on monday nights and talk through a lot of the course so ill have to look into them aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

I don't understand why your English teacher can't just teach you, or why your chemistry and maths teachers can't cover the syllabus in 5 classes a week. :confused:

Are the extra classes compulsary? It seems really unfair if they are, especially for good maths/chem students who are going to be bored stupid with 5 classes.

nope the 7 maths classes are compulsory and we wont be allowed leave them or the chemistry classes unless we've got good excuses to.
    theres a girl in my classes who will more then likely get an a1 in all her subjects and im only passing maths so i think it should be optional for the student who know whats happeneing and for thoose struggling it could help us keep up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You don't think 7 classes instead of 5 might result in you doing better than just passing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I have an extra 45 minutes of maths a week, we have to come in at 8AM. :eek:
    I was going to have to skip 2 lunchtimes a week for Irish, but I dropped down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Nope, 5 40minute sessions of everything a week! Except religion careers and pe! Doubles in optional subjects also!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

We have 7 Maths a week. We have Irish, English and French 6 times a week and everything else 5 times. We also have religion twice a week for some stupid reason and one study class and one guidance class. but because I donhonours maths I don;t get to do PE. Boo!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Changes that I've noticed are that we have two double classes and one single class for each of our options.

Last year we had 6 maths classes a week and we still do only now there's a maths class everyday instead of none on Wednesday with 3 on Tuesday.

Our 6th maths class is taken instead of an LCVP Computer class despite the fact that there's work lacking Religion classes and a double study on Thursdays available. Basically you get screwed over if you take higher maths and LCVP. Good thing I already have 8 subjects as I'm probably going to drop LCVP. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Tbh, those extra classes sound a little extreme imo. If they were happening later in the year when they could be sure that the course wouldn't be covered, that'd be fine but now seems a little "overly enthuasiastic".

I almost had extra maths classes for HL but it didn't come to that in the end (although I would gladly have gone to them). And we did have extra Irish classes. I hated my Irish teacher and knew that I'd never be able to rely on Irish for points so I went to as few as possible. And just didn't attend when he decided to put on extra practice exams. I was always polite enough to give a plausible excuse though. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Hi Ash ,
    Well I think I had only 2 lunches a week of free time.Any free class/ guidance /religion was took up by alot of subjects.So that's like an extra 10 classes a week.It's only a year and you don't want to regret not getting what you want because you didnt finish the course.They see that you might need to do them to be ready for it and the more you get done before the mocks the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭yay_for_summer

Extra classes are great when they're offered, we had them every Thursday for accounting after school. It's better to do them from day one really instead of leaving it til near the end when you know the course won't be covered otherwise. It means less panicked catching-up stuff and that you're well prepared.

spurious wrote: »
    You don't think 7 classes instead of 5 might result in you doing better than just passing?

i hope so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I do religion as an exam subject after but in school. We went from two classes a week to four all crammed in the one day. Yay for eleven hours of school -.-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭crunchycorner

We have no religion classes this year and career guidance once a week. Will have 2 more english classes on wednesdays instead of games and accountancy from 4-6 after school on wednesdays aswell.............i can't wait:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 cellardoor36

ye it happened to me this year. one of my irish classes has been changed to 'careers' class where we (surprise surprise) discuss what we'll be doing next year. There's a lot of doubles in each subject, english, irish, maths, geography biology and classics - i'm doing honours everything so i've got as much joy at home with study as i have in school...

Advertisement