Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

'Watershed' Tour 2008 OPETH+CYNIC+THE OCEAN

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

krimson765 wrote: »
    what time do ye reckon Opeth will be on stage that night..9 or 9.30?i cant make it until that time..

Might even be later than that. It says on this page that the first band are on at 8pm so by the time The Ocean and Cynic play I say it will be closer to 10pn before Opeth get on stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 krimson765

was thinking that alright hopefully..cheers..i was trying to get through to akerfeldt on the landline but all i got was his answering machine..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

I think Opeth are to be onstage about 9.30. They're playing for 1hr 45mins and are to be off stage at 11.15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Only a week to go....
    Cant wait to see Cynic also.

What would you like Opeth to play based on an hour and half?

I would like the following

Lotus Eater
    A Fair Judgement
    Baying of the Hounds
    The Moor
    Burden
    Bleak
    Black Rose Immortal
    When

I know I am probably dreaming with Black Rose Immortal, have they played this much live as it would take up the bulk of the show. Would love to hear it all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

I haven't seen a set-list from Opeth in a while but recently enough I believe they were playing stuff like Serenity Painted Death, Wreath, Heir Apparent, Lotus Eater, Night and the Silent Water all of which are pretty sweet and I haven't seen live. I think someone also mentioned they've started playing When again. Actually I'd love to hear April Ethereal.

However, as this is a brand new tour the set-list will more than likely be shaken up a bit. All I really want is a fair difference from the last few times I've seen them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Nea wrote: »

I would like the following

Lotus Eater
    A Fair Judgement
    Baying of the Hounds
    The Moor
    Burden
    Bleak
    Black Rose Immortal
    When

That would be an amazing set. Nice choices Nea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I would like to see:

Serenity Painted Death
    Blackwater Park (again, saw it in 2006)
    Bleak
    Weakness
    Deliverance (again, saw it in 2006)
    The Baying Of The Hounds (again, saw it in 2006)
    To Bid You Farewell
    The Amen Corner (again, saw it in 2006)
    In Mist She Was Standing
    Under The Weeping Moon (again, saw it in 2006)
    The Moor
    Moonlapse Vertigo
    Face Of Melinda (again, saw it in 2006)
    Porcelain Heart
    Hex Omega

But that's not gonna happen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

jenizzle wrote: »
    By the looks of it, it could be sold out so get yer tickets now.

Yeah, all the standing tickets are gone, just seating left :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Would love to go but i just cant get back from Galway. Wish they'd do more of a tour here. Even just 2/3 venues would be enough. So glad they arent playing in the Point like Tool did. Such a shiiite venue. Sound is terrible.

Heir Apparent
    The Grand Conjuration
    The Lotus Eater
    Hope Leaves
    Deliverance
    Demon Of The Fall
    The Drapery Falls

This was the setlist from Denmark tho it was a festival. Just hope we get something from Morningrise even if its Night and the Silent Water again. Love that album!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

Worth the price of admission alone to see Ocean - brain pummeling heaviness at it's best. For those not yet in the know about Ocean check out their Precambrian album. Very highly recommended stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Great choices mp3guy. Especially In The Mist She Was Standing. I f*ckin love that song

Among many of the others :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

It's funny. People of a certain age are calling this the Cynic gig, rather than the Opeth gig :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I've been asking people since I've heard if it "Are you going to the Cynic gig ?!"

I'm only going for Cynic, so to me its a Cynic gig :pac:

Oh you better believe I'm going for Cynic, but it's noce to have those other bands playing too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Setlist:

Heir Apparent
    The Grand Conjuration
    Godhead's Lament
    The Lotus Eater
    Hope Leaves
    Bleak
    Deliverence
    Demon Of The Fall
    The Drapery Falls

Order might be slightly off. Great gig though, really enjoyed it. Half of The Ocean's and Half of Cynic's set was entertaining, the other halves were boring me a lot. Good crowd, but the usual one or two goons completely off their face/fighting.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Cynic were ****ing unreal. Opeth just bored me which is disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Superb gig. Cynic were terrific, great sound, they were tight and apart from the being 'a part of the Kingdom' remark I was very impressed by their deftness.

Cynic were worth every second of the 16 year wait, I don't know what else to say. After a while it felt like Opeth were playing one exceptionally long song. I never usually walk out of gigs but they just bored the ****e outta me, which is a shame because I find their recorded material quite listenable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

feylya wrote: »
    Cynic were ****ing unreal. Opeth just bored me which is disappointing.

Quoted for truth.

• Advertisement

Doctor J wrote: »
    After a while it felt like Opeth were playing one exceptionally long song.

I thought this the first time I saw them but I thought they were exceptional last night, setlist seemed a bit generic tho.

Cynic's set just seemed too short, it flew, would have liked How Could I but they sounded amazing

Sore neck this morning always a sign of a good gig!

Fair Play to DME as the gig sold out yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Yep, very disappointing when Cynic finished up. Would love to see a full set, really excellent. Picked up a copy of traced in air last night too, got a couple of spins last night. Best album & performance I've heard/seen in some time.

Saw most of Opeth, standard fare. I've seen them so many times now, and they are a great band, but I wasn't really into it last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭obsydion

Anybody have pics/video of the night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The Ocean were fairly boring, nothing really going on.

I enjoyed Cynic but they weren't the epiphany I was expecting them to be. It was good to hear some of the songs from Focus in the flesh so to speak but I could have just been at home listening to the CD. Really solid, yes, but I didn't feel it. Shame because they were the reason I went in the end.

Opeth were good but not the best they've been, especially when they did that ridiculously long pause in the middle of "Demon of the Fall".

I took some photos of the gig here for those interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭obsydion

John wrote: »
    The Ocean were fairly boring, nothing really going on.

I enjoyed Cynic but they weren't the epiphany I was expecting them to be. It was good to hear some of the songs from Focus in the flesh so to speak but I could have just been at home listening to the CD. Really solid, yes, but I didn't feel it. Shame because they were the reason I went in the end.

Opeth were good but not the best they've been, especially when they did that ridiculously long pause in the middle of "Demon of the Fall".

I took some photos of the gig here for those interested.

I'm a big Opeth fanboy but I saw them in Sept and didn't want to spoil it by seeing them again so soon. I can understand how they can get stale pretty quickly. Awesome pics by the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Missed most of Ocean, was hugely entertained by Cynic, and spent most of the Opeth set being thouroughly crushed at the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I actually never heard The Ocean or Cynic before last night and I was pretty impressed. I'll definitely be checking out Cynic, they were incredible. The Ocean were fairly good too, but it sort of felt like they weren't really into it.They were a bit meh, to be honest.

It was my first time to see Opeth, thought they were excellent, and the crowd interaction was good, too. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Cynic was excellent ! Loved every minute of it but I felt they should have had a longer set ! Got a picture with Paul Masvidal and my album signed ! Even though it was a tiny "PM" in the corner, it still counts ! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23 krimson765

good gig..nice to hear deliverance as they hadn't played it the last time..drapery falls and demon of the fall were excellent.definitely better than the last time..they are nowhere near as good as when lopez was on drums his style suited them alot better than axenrot..alot more dynamic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MetalHertzFM

Greetings all,

MetalHertz FM are pleased to announce that we sent one of our troops to Vicar St to carry out an interview with Opeth Guitarist Fredrik Åkesson, this will be Broadcast this friday Nov 21st. and once weekend broadcasts of the interview have been aired it will then be added to our Media section.. stay tuned as we have many more interviews with both Irish and International bands lined up..

Cheers
    MHFM Crew

Broadcasting to Waterford on 99.9MHz FM in Stereo
    Broadcasting to the World on http://www.metalhertzfm.com
    [ Broadcast Schedule available on our site ]

Advertisement