Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Festival for Limerick

Options
  • 30-08-2008 7:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

Last night I've been in town (rare enough) and there must have been a festival.

O'Connell street has been decorated with amazing stuff! Mc Donalds papercups, Supermacs bags, Abrakebabra wrapping paper, empty tayto bags, shiny beercans, cigarette packs and colourful vomit stains. All stuff that would somewhere else go into the bin! The people made a real effort to refurbish an otherwise dull street!

So far it was only known as the Liverpool Festival of Litter. It's great to have that in Limerick as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

happens everywhere, at least in limerick its cleaned up by morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Not true.
    No street cleaning on Sunday.
    You can see the walking tour groups walking up Henry street surrounded by Take away litter, empty beer cans etc.
    The City Centre looks disgusting on Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Not true.
    You can see the walking tour groups walking up Henry street surrounded by Take away litter, empty beer cans etc.
    steet cleaners are on the street about half 5 on a sunday im sure, used to be the case when i lived in town anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

F**k sake.
    Got me all excited thinking Limerick had actually got a new festival.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Us students aren't even back yet, WAHAY!!

Every city has this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

yeah, iwonder how much galway city spends on those guys that power wash eyre square every morning!

agree 100% with this thread, the litter in limerick at the weekend is feckin awful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Not true.

I was on Henry street this morning at 7 o'clock today (Sunday), and there was a few street sweepers and trucks cleaning up. Left the place spotless too, so thanks for that guys, unsung heroes and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

The problem with Limerick is there just isnt enough bins around the street Like other citys. In Dublin there are dedicated bins for recycling cans etc... here Limerick council are only interested in putting out bins for cigarette butts that are always overflowing and plastered in advertising....

It's about time more was done but the €150 on the spot fine for dropping chewing gum is a step in the right direction but I wonder if that money will be used for the purpose of cleaning gum

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I don't think the provision of extra bins would have too much of an impact, especially when you're talking about the collatoral from the post closing time scene. The combination of general laziness, drunkeness and tiredness is what accounts for most of the filth, in my opinion. It's a change in attitude that's required, something that's pretty hard to force on young people who have to eat up quickly or face an hour waiting by the side of the road for a taxi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭avillan

limerick had lots of bins ,if they were not burned they wre put through windows.sweepers do try.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

As a person who works most weekends at 9am, I have to say I think the city looks grand.
    Okay, if you're out looking for litter at 4am, it might look a mess.
    For the most part though, it looks grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 saudek

Hello,

I was in Dublin one wek ago.
    I saw a sensitization campaign there about litter.
    This problem is quite usual in such cities no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

saudek wrote: »
    Hello,

Hi and welcome to boards, one bit of advice though is I wouldn't have your location as detailed as your have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

saudek wrote: »
    Hello,

No, it's just Limerick, everywhere else is perfect and continually sunny.

1huge1 wrote: »
    Hi and welcome to boards, one bit of advice
    though is I wouldn't have your location as detailed as your have it.
    Oups, didn't know it's shown to everybody.
    That's fixed now.
    Thanks.

No, it's just Limerick, everywhere else is perfect and continually sunny.

Hehe.

Advertisement