Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ubuntu live cd - install won't go graphical

• 30-08-2008 9:44am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭

I did something weird last night when I was trying to reinstall ubuntu and now the live cd won't boot into X it just goes straight into console/expert mode, even if I try to boot ubuntu direct from the Cd it just jumps into console.. and if the fact that I've had to reinstall 4 times in as many days teaches me anything it's that I'm just not ready for console mode.

any ideas on what I did, how to undo it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

You sure it's actually booting from the CD?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah, I was trying to update ubuntu ran 'sudo apt-get upgrade' last night.. but it kept freezing at certain packages and when I had to kill X or reboot, it wouldn't let me start again I had to run 'dpkg --configure -a' which kept stalling at the same packages each time. After trying to boot into the live cd last night and failing, I just left ppkg running all night and when I woke up it was still on the same package I left it on. Oddly enough a f ew minutes after I woke up, that package cancelled itself and moved onto the next package.. which started to stall as well). I can boot into ubuntu, I'm using it now... but dpkg still stalls and I'm afraid I'm done some damage with my abortive update which is why I was trying to boot from the cd and start again

. So it's definitely not booting off the HD when it goes into console, cos the hd boots fine.. it's just what it does afterwards that worries me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well, I put in a different cd drive and now the cd is booting up fine... one of the pins on my dvdrw has snapped in half which apparently is what caused the problem considering the other cd drive worked straight away.

so I guess it's new future is propping up one of my speakers :/

Advertisement