Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil for alfa

Options
  • 30-08-2008 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Bought a 02 alfa 1.6 and absolutely love it. Want to keep it topped up with oil. What type of oil would be suitable?

Thanks,
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

147 or 156?

10W40 Semi Synthetic. Give Gerry Campbell in Ti Autos a call and see what he recommends. AR themselves recommend Selena Oil. Not sure where to find this.

Think I used Castrol Magnatec once upon a time.

You are right to keep an eye on the oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

Hey,

Bought a 02 alfa 1.6 and absolutely love it. Want to keep it topped up with oil. What type of oil would be suitable?

Thanks,
    M
    I use castrol magnatec(sp) 10w40 in my 147 its the same grade as the 20k oil alfa recommend. All twin spark engines will burn a bit of oil so you should check it every second week. If the oil runs low it can damage the variator and that becomes noisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Doesnt the variator just become noisy anyway after a certian amount of mileage? Dont think its linked to the oil?

Variator should be changed with the timing belt. BTW in what way, besides making the car sound like a diseal on startup, does a worn variator affect anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Variator wear is unrelated to the oil.
    They turn tappety after 60k miles usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

Hi lads i just have to ask you what is variator and how is that fixed, i ask this cause i have similar situation with my car usually in the morning when i starte it for first 30 to 50 secunds sounds a bit like a diesel. Would that mean that my variator is worn and how is that fixed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Ye the variator is worn if it sounds like a diseal. I dont think it affects the car in any way except for it sonding like a diseal for a few seconds. its a big job to get at it, so your best of waiting for when your gettign your timing belt changed and get it done then.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

Ye the variator is worn if it sounds like a diseal. I dont think it affects the car in any way except for it sonding like a diseal for a few seconds. its a big job to get at it, so your best of waiting for when your gettign your timing belt changed and get it done then.....

Yeah i guess i m gonna have to wait until then to get it done.
    Thanks for reply.

Advertisement