Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista Ultimate 64bit - Problems....

• 30-08-2008 10:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

Left the computer two weeks ago working fine.

Came back from holidays yesterday and turned on the machine. After I typed in my User Profile password, instead of the Startup finishing and the Desktop complete with icons appearing, the screen went completely grey.

I waited a few minutes, tried Ctrl/Alt/Delete a few times and, eventually, unplugged the machine.

It appeared to start OK the second time. However, when the "Windows did not shut down normally the last time....." window appeared, I just chose the Start Windows Normally option.

Just now, I booted up and then connected an external card reader to the front of the machine. When I inserted the SD card into the reader, the usual prompt window didn't open. So, I browsed to the Computer and double clicked on the card reader icon. Nothing happened. I tried Ctrl/Alt/Delete and couldn't get it to close.

So, unplug and reboot...........

This time, when the "Last time Windows didn't shut down properly...." window appeared, I only got two options. Start Windows Normally or Launch Startup Repair. No matter how many times I clicked on it, Startup Repair would not launch.

I appear to have one very sick computer. It is used for nothing, and I mean NOTHING, else but image editing. It has only a handful of programs installed. So, it's very clean.

What programs can I run to try and solve the problem? Also, where are they located? I've come to Vista 64 from XP Pro and things are very different, so I'd be grateful if you could tell me exactly where repair programs are located.

Many thanks.

D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

does it allow you to boot to safemode? usually pressing F8 when its starting up will get you to the prompt, also there is a repair option if you boot off the vista dvd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Avoid repair if You can, causes more problems. Just try booting to safe mode by pressing f8 and then boot back to normal windows. No harm in running ccleaner while your there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

OK, now I'm in deep doggy do.....

I did the following from the instructions here>

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/60405-boot-screen.html

..and when I start up, I get two options:

Launch Startup Repair, which doesn't launch and....

Start Windows Normally, which leads to a black screen!!!

Also, holding down F8 doesn't produce anything either.

I presume the black screen is as a result of following the instructions above, so how do I reverse this first off?

Finally, inserting the Vista DVD and rebooting leads to the black screen too.

Help!

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

ps..........

F2 takes me to Setup. F12 to Boot Menu.

What should I be looking for in either?

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Moved to windows....

• Advertisement