Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it just me that can get my head around it ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Why bother more like :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

He forgot the "go faster" stripes.
    Well...he's never going to sell that heep.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Forgot the 500bhp engine too:pac:, why stop at the bodywork eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Some car thief is going to be so disappointed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Very silly and a waste of money but to be fair the work looks pretty professional.

I would enjoy laughing at the driver if I saw it out and about. Makes a change from the RS4 TDi and 316i M3 M-Powah reguars anyhoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I don't really see how that's worse than a 520d with an M pack, TBH. Mutton-dressed-up-as-lamb is pretty much staple fare from the Germans these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Anan1 wrote: »
    I don't really see how that's worse than a 520d with an M pack, TBH.

Me neither, TBH.An m sport pack on a 520d doesnt exactly improve performance, does it??Its just a gimmick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I really cant agree with you about the 520 with the M-Pack. I feel this is very different that creating an M5 Replica like the attached yoke. I'd say 95% of people who are interested in cars who see an M-Sport 5 series just think that it is just that, an M-Sport 5 series. I doubt it very much that they think .."Wow nice M5 ...no wait ..it's not a real one..damn I was fooled"

Similarly I'd say that at least 95% of the people that buy an M-Sport 5 series do so because they feel it makes the car look nicer/feel better to drive, not because it will fool other people into thinking it is an M5.

As regards mutton dressed as lamb...where do you draw the line. Is a 535d M-Sport mutton dressed as lamb? Is a 550i M-Sport mutton dressed as lamb?

IMO its only mutton dressed as lamb if it is something that you cannot get as standard on a car. The M-Sport pack is a dealer option on BMW's, whereas the M5 Replica butchery pack isnt.

Anyway back to the attached motor - Are they not the worst headrests ever? It's like they came from a Barbie and Ken toy car!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Me neither, TBH.An m sport pack on a 520d doesnt exactly improve performance, does it??Its just a gimmick

depends on your definition of performance

dynamics are improved with the suspension changes

also agree what bazman said aswell

• Advertisement

TheBazman wrote: »
    Similarly I'd say that at least 95% of the people that buy an M-Sport 5 series do so because they feel it makes the car look nicer/feel better to drive, not because it will fool other people into thinking it is an M5.

As regards mutton dressed as lamb...where do you draw the line. Is a 535d M-Sport mutton dressed as lamb? Is a 550i M-Sport mutton dressed as lamb?

!

Thats what i mean really.I hope they dont think they are fooling anybody with the big wheels and bumpers.

I dont think any 5 series with an m pack is mutton dressed as lamb.Even a 520d is quicker thatn the majority of vehicles on the road
    Cyrus wrote: »
    depends on your definition of performance

dynamics are improved with the suspension changes

also agree what bazman said aswell

The handling will indeed be better on a m sport 520d but i dont think your average 520d driver would notice very much.Anyway, the price you pay for the improved handling is an atrocious ride

TheBazman wrote: »
    IMO its only mutton dressed as lamb if it is something that you cannot get as standard on a car. The M-Sport pack is a dealer option on BMW's, whereas the M5 Replica butchery pack isnt.
    These days, the manufacturers are the worst offenders when it comes to mutton done up as lamb. Mutton is a 520d, lamb is a V8 or V10 petrol. Doesn't matter if God himself does it, it's still the same thing.

atrocious ride isnt the suspensions,

its the run flat tyres, the se makes it more bearable but they are the issue

These days, the manufacturers are the worst offenders when it comes to mutton done up as lamb. Mutton is a 520d, lamb is a V8 or V10 petrol. Doesn't matter if God himself does it, it's still the same thing.

Each to their own I suppose, but there is a world of cars out there in between the 520d and V8/V10 motors.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

So a 530 with M-Tech kit looks equally as silly as a tarted up a 525 made to look like an M5?

Obviously, my 525 M-Tech is even worse again, but I will try and live with the shame, if it's OK with you.

I would do rolleyes if it wasn't such a retarded emoticon. You forgot to say "vulgar" by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

LOL, defo! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Funny that, because i saw that add today and i was wondering. People who were buying a 520D wouldn't be looking in the M5 section, and people buying M5's would just laugh at it. So really there's not alot of potential for people to see it. Also spotted this
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/M3/1.9/1171279/
    Again it's pointless having it there. God i'm so bored lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

God i'm so bored lol
    What the hell did we do before DSL:confused::confused:

ninty9er wrote: »
    What the hell did we do before DSL:confused::confused:

I was 8 stone and played two hours non stop soccer a day, oh how things have changed hahah:P

He'd notice the lack of an "M" button anyway:D

• Advertisement

Another thing actually, why do people put m6 wheels on m5's? Wouldn't it make one think it's just a fake m5? Not having the right wheels?

Another thing actually, why do people put m6 wheels on m5's? Wouldn't it make one think it's just a fake m5? Not having the right wheels?

Because people like the look of the wheels?

eoin_s wrote: »
    Because people like the look of the wheels?

Fair enough

eoin_s wrote: »
    So a 530 with M-Tech kit looks equally as silly as a tarted up a 525 made to look like an M5?

Obviously, my 525 M-Tech is even worse again, but I will try and live with the shame, if it's OK with you.

I would do rolleyes if it wasn't such a retarded emoticon. You forgot to say "vulgar" by the way.
    Cool your jets, eoin_s. A 530i with M-Tech kit is less mutton and is less dressed up as lamb than a 525i made to look like an M5.

And what's all this about 'vulgar'?

they are actually an option when buying an m5 afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Funny that, because i saw that add today and i was wondering. People who were buying a 520D wouldn't be looking in the M5 section, and people buying M5's would just laugh at it. So really there's not alot of potential for people to see it. Also spotted this
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/M3/1.9/1171279/
    Again it's pointless having it there. God i'm so bored lol

The M badge is not on straight as well, I think it is falling a bit to the right. :D

Cyrus wrote: »
    they are actually an option when buying an m5 afaik

I think (but I am open to correction) that the M6 style wheels are now the standard wheels when you order an M5

Cool your jets, eoin_s. A 530i with M-Tech kit is less mutton and is less dressed up as lamb than a 525i made to look like an M5.

And what's all this about 'vulgar'?

For a start "mutton dressed as lamb" means something older trying to look younger, so not really an apt expression.

It seems that BMW really get the brunt of a lot of hatred in this forum. I bet most people wouldn't have a problem with an Alfa 156 1.6 with Sportivo trim or a C class with AMG kit, but once you get that dreaded BMW badge with an M-tech kit and an engine a "miserly" 2 litres, the sneering begins. It's getting very old.

Yes - it's ridiculous to have a 525 badged as an M5, not many people will disagree. To equate that to a factory supplied trim level is pretty sad, and just reeks of inverted snobbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Another one; http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/528/M5-replica/1122426/
    the M6 wheels are gash to say the least. The look great on a true M6 but they make the above look like a drug dealers or a rapper car.

I've spotted an absolute gem driving around Galway over the last week. It's a stock Mitsubishi Galant with an RS4 badge stuck onto its front grill. Yes that's RS4 not even VR-4. It's passed me twice now in slow moving traffic and I haven't been fast enough to get a snap of it but I will endeavor to do so if I have the fortune of seeing it again and I can hold the camera steady because of the laughter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement