Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it just me that can get my head around it ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Another one; http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/528/M5-replica/1122426/
    the M6 wheels are gash to say the least. The look great on a true M6 but they make the above look like a drug dealers or a rapper car.

There's just so much wrong with that car. The front bumper is still the standard M-Tech one not the M5 one, so it's not even a complete job.

I suppose at least it doesn't have the side grills that were never on the e39 M5 that many "replicas" have.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

eoin_s wrote: »
    For a start "mutton dressed as lamb" means something older trying to look younger, so not really an apt expression.
    I think you get the meaning.
    It seems that BMW really get the brunt of a lot of hatred in this forum. I bet most people wouldn't have a problem with an Alfa 156 1.6 with Sportivo trim or a C class with AMG kit, but once you get that dreaded BMW badge with an M-tech kit and an engine a "miserly" 2 litres, the sneering begins. It's getting very old.
    I've just read through this thread again, and I still have no idea where you get this idea?
    Yes - it's ridiculous to have a 525 badged as an M5, not many people will disagree. To equate that to a factory supplied trim level is pretty sad, and just reeks of inverted snobbery.
    They're essentially the same thing, eoin_s - an attempt to make the car look like something it's not. If one is ridiculous than both are. I'm sorry if this fact upsets you, but there you go.

Anan1 wrote: »
    They're essentially the same thing, eoin_s - an attempt to make the car look like something it's not. If one is ridiculous than both are. I'm sorry if this fact upsets you, but there you go.

It's hardly "fact" - it's your opinion, and no doubt others' too - but still not a fact. We're clearly not going to agree on anything here, if you don't think there's a big difference between a 525 badged as an M5, and a factory supplied trim level. It's like saying the Boxter is not a real porsche, just because it isn't a 911.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

My own view is that if a car comes from the 'M' people (geddit?) at BMW, then it's a genuine M car, regardless of if it's a diesel or petrol, once it rolls out of the BMW factory with an M badge, then it's an M car. Whether that is merely a marketing tool that devalues the BMW M class of cars as a whole is for another thread.

There is no comparison to the above situation and some plonker buying a few M parts and sticking them on his BMW to make it look like an M car.

my 2c.

EDIT: On the contrary, I don't think BMW gets a hard time on these forums...try being a FIAT owner, then you'll know all about a hard time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Why is it that when these people spend all that money making M5 and M3 replicas, the one thing none of them ever replace is the interior rear view mirror? It is the single biggest giveaway, as most BMWs have a rectangular one, even on the M-packs, whilst the true M's have an oval one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

No, an M car has an M engine. An M badge - is just trim.

I own an M sport, I don't think it's an M car. I wanted the wheels, the big chunky steering wheel, the interior trim (don't like wood thanks!), the splitter and sides and the grey diffuser around the exhausts, that's why I went for an M sport.

However, the idea on here from some people that an SE is a classier car is bull. Is a non S Porsche classier than an S? Is a Elegance Merc better than an Avantgarde? It's a matter of opinion but there's certainly nothing 'tacky' about an M sport model from the BMW factory. :confused:

Fey! wrote: »
    Why is it that when these people spend all that money making M5 and M3 replicas, the one thing none of them ever replace is the interior rear view mirror? It is the single biggest giveaway, as most BMWs have a rectangular one, even on the M-packs, whilst the true M's have an oval one!

That's a big give away if you know your cars, I'd say 90% of people wouldn't pick up on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I think you all get far too excited about this M replica thing! So what! I would rather see a BMW with a replica M kit done well than some fibre glass mess (designed by a 5 year old) stuck on it.
    Is an M badge really more offensive than an "FM105" (deliberately changed) sticker!! Have any of you changed the alloys on your car at any stage? Better a set of BMW wheels than some tacky chrome bling-bling Fox4 or other rubbish.
    It is probably a waste of money investment wise but if the owner enjoys it then let 'em at it.
    BMW & other manufacturers play on this as a marketing ploy themselves, why can't owners be allowed to do it themselves? I know some really clever people will reply that you cannot buy M parts without an M VIN number (which isn't true in reality), but BMW themselves have set up a "BMW Performance" range now where they sell big brake upgrade kits & sports sears, etc. for your 1 & 3 series.

This is the 2nd or 3rd thread on this very item, get over it!!:D
    So what!

It's hardly "fact" - it's your opinion, and no doubt others' too - but still not a fact. We're clearly not going to agree on anything here, if you don't think there's a big difference between a 525 badged as an M5, and a factory supplied trim level.
    You're an ad-man's dream, eoin_s, do you know that?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

That's immaterial to this thread though. I'd far rather something supplied by the factory than some hash job done by somebody else.

At least the M-trim is exactly what it says it is. It doesn't pretend to be an M5. The car in the OP, does. Simple really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Fey! wrote: »

good grief - we're down to interior mirrors now???:o Jaybus............

OTOH, I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the fact that 'real' vs, er, 'unreal' :rolleyes:, is only available as an auto afaik................

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I see the M-Tech kit for what it is - a trim level. Quite simply, I much preferred the look of my car:

34view.jpg

to this:

CB4_1052066_1_300876.jpg

I am under no illusions it's an M5, and I doubt anyone else is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I think you get the meaning.
    I've just read through this thread again, and I still have no idea where you get this idea?

how is an m kit or an s line kit etc trying to make a car like something its not?

maybe the point is that bmw dont differentiate their m cars enought (altho most enthusiasts can tell an m from an mtec from a mile off)

i think it improves the look of the cars, a normal se 5 series doesnt interest me, the sport kitted one does, it improves the looks no end

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

That's a big give away if you know your cars, I'd say 90% of people wouldn't pick up on it though.

I think you have indirectly hit on the crux of this discussion. Only about 10% of people would be able to pick up on the details that reveal that a car is a real M3 or RS4 and not a replica. The other 90% don't know and don't give a sh*t what an M3/RS4 is. So why then waste your time and money trying to make a car out to be something it's not and trying to impress/fool the 10% of people who can spot a real M3 a mile away. Makes no sense:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I think the idea of M cars is that they are "Q" cars really :D
    In that they are not meant to be in your face, they have the power & there are small styling cues that indicate to those "in the know" that they are no ordinary car. People who make modifications to their cars to look like these serve two purposes:
    1. Keep owner happy, they would like to own an ///M car but their financial/situational circumstances they cannot.
    2. Make it difficult to spot the real ones from the bolt-on ones.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    At least the M-trim is exactly what it says it is. It doesn't pretend to be an M5. The car in the OP, does. Simple really.
    The whole point of an M-Pack is to make the car look more like an M-car - the hint is in the name.

The bottom line is that you guys like your M-packs and the guy selling the car in the first post likes what he's done. How you can argue that his is ridiculous simply because it wasn't fitted in Munich is beyond me.

The whole point of an M-Pack is to make the car look more like an M-car - the hint is in the name.

The bottom line is that you guys like your M-packs and the guy selling the car in the first post likes what he's done. How you can argue that his is ridiculous simply because it wasn't fitted in Munich is beyond me.

Again - the M5 is a specific model. M-tech is a trim level. A 520 with M-Tech trim is not trying to look like something else - it looks like what it is - a car that came from the factory like that.

Would you not see the difference between a boxter that may share factory supplied styling with a 911, and a boxter with a 911 badge?

Again - the M5 is a specific model. M-tech is a trim level. A 520 with M-Tech trim is not trying to look like something else - it looks like what it is - a car that came from the factory like that.
    Absolute bollox, eoin. Without the M cars, there would be no M packs.
    Would you not see the difference between a boxter that may share factory supplied styling with a 911, and a boxter with a 911 badge?
    This is an irrelevant analogy. The car in the first post has been restyled to look like an M car, using parts that were supplied by the factory but not fitted by the factory. The only difference between that and cars with M packs is factory fitment.

To brand the car in the ad as ridiculous while defending your M pack is badge snobbery, pure & simple.

Ah, I give up - can't be arsed continuing this pointless debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

To brand the car in the ad as ridiculous while defending your M pack is badge snobbery, pure & simple.

Advertising an M5 when it isn't an M5 is a lie. Advertising a 525 M-Sport is the truth. That's the difference. One seller is a liar the other is telling the truth. They are the facts of the matter.
    The M-tech kit is different to the real M3/5 anyway. Only slightly, but different none the less.

• Advertisement

Biro wrote: »
    Advertising an M5 when it isn't an M5 is a lie. Advertising a 525 M-Sport is the truth. That's the difference. One seller is a liar the other is telling the truth. They are the facts of the matter.
    Eh, the car in question's being advertised as a 525SE M5 replica. Where's the lie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

It seems that BMW really get the brunt of a lot of hatred in this forum. I bet most people wouldn't have a problem with an Alfa 156 1.6 with Sportivo trim or a C class with AMG kit, but once you get that dreaded BMW badge with an M-tech kit and an engine a "miserly" 2 litres, the sneering begins. It's getting very old.

Untrue - people trying to pass off A4 TDI's as mighty RS4 TDI's also get laughed at in equal proportions. As a rule most people trying to pull wool over peoples eyes get sneered at.

Nothing wrong with cars with M sports packs or AMG packs or S line kits but its when you start trying to imitate every detail of the M version or AMG or RS version right down to the finest detail when its mostly an entry level car that the owners get flamed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Eh, the car in question's being advertised as a 525SE M5 replica. Where's the lie?

That one is, I was thinking of another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Mac 3

Just wondering and I'm open to correction here but was this (or something similar) for sale a few months ago in Portlaoise?

The interior is what seems to stick out in my mind..

Absolute bollox, eoin. Without the M cars, there would be no M packs.
    This is an irrelevant analogy. The car in the first post has been restyled to look like an M car, using parts that were supplied by the factory but not fitted by the factory. The only difference between that and cars with M packs is factory fitment.

most m kit cars wear their badge 520/530 etc the car in the op is wearing an m5 badge and has gone to the trouble of fitting a quad exhaust etc and m5 replica wheels, he is trying to make it look like something it isnt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

RedorDead wrote: »
    Untrue - people trying to pass off A4 TDI's as mighty RS4 TDI's also get laughed at in equal proportions.

In fairness to audi, an A4 TDI with the s-line pack and the best wheels available would still look nothing like an RS4, i dont think.

why would it look any less like an rs4 than an msport kitted 320d?

Advertisement