Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rally ireland comes to donegal

• 30-08-2008 11:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

it has been anounced that donegal is to host the final two stages of rally ireland, the first round of the WRC in 2009,

stage 18 is a reverse run of the donegal bay stage from the 2007 rally ireland, a 14.52 km stage that runs south of donegal town, with stage 19, a live televised 1.5km street stage in donegal town

rally news

2009 rally ireland guide (pdf file)

not sure to watch the donegal town stage on TV or go to the stage its self, was at the televised stage in mulagmore last year, and i think due to driver standings in the rally, the short lenght of the stage (similar distance the the donegal stage this time around) and that it was the final stage, some of the drivers weren't going as flat out as they were on the previous stages, and i left sightly disapointed

although considering this is a street stage, i would hope it would be more exciting, compared to last years final stage, considering the technical nature of it, ie, streets, compared to rural/country roads

either way, great way of promoting the town, bringing in extra revenue, and tourism

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Sounds good think I will pay a visit to that myself:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Welcomed news indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

for the best view its better to watch these things on tv, but for the enjoyment and atmosphere, being there on the side of the road is hard to beat.
    I'll be there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Your right the view would be better on tv but as I am a photographer I gotta be there:p

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Great news. It should be good for the town, I think. Good for me too, won't have far to wander! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

woooo hoooo great stuff see you there byte (mind you the 2miles from town to my house will probably be parked solid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I see there is a meeting tonight at 8.30 in the Abbey Hotel to discuss the Donegal Stage.. might take a wee strole downtown to that.

byte

woooo hoooo great stuff see you there byte (mind you the 2miles from town to my house will probably be parked solid
    Ah, another Donegal town man! :) I'll have less far to go, as I'm in Ardeskin. Handy stroll!

Didn't realise there was a meeting tonight :( Bit late noticing now! I suppose tonights meeting will be too late to see anything about it in tomorrow's Demo, as I'd guess it's already gone to print.

byte wrote: »
    I suppose tonights meeting will be too late to see anything about it in tomorrow's Demo, as I'd guess it's already gone to print.
    Dont think the democrat is that good seeing as they went to print last night and out on the shelves this morning :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

mmm, thought they were going nearer mcintyres garage my self, nearer the kilybegs side of the bypass, altough looks quite a good route if thats the one, although finish is very close to the start, going to be interested to see how/where cars starting/finishing are going to be seperated

Ah, another Donegal town man! :) I'll have less far to go, as I'm in Ardeskin. Handy stroll!

Didn't realise there was a meeting tonight :( Bit late noticing now! I suppose tonights meeting will be too late to see anything about it in tomorrow's Demo, as I'd guess it's already gone to print.

Waves over from Drumrooske:)

byte

/me waves back! :)

I'm looking forward to the town rally! Probably the biggest event in the blank town calendar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Ignore him, he's a blow-in from Lifford. :D

I'm looking forward to the town rally! Probably the biggest event in the blank town calendar!

kinda looking forward my self, although would have to be in it a couple of hours before it starts, and will probably take a few hours to get out of it again, could be better veiwed on da oul telly

Said like a true Strabane man there Smashey !:D

Just looking at that route though.. I was in Mullaghmore last year.. will Donegal town be able to hold the 50,000+ that visited that day. I presume Rally Ireland and the boys in blue have learned from the mistakes highlighted that day.

(wonders... is that a grandstand being built in the back car park?..hmmmm)

irish1967 wrote: »

reckon you might be onto something there you shouldnt be giving kelly ideas like that though, nind could turn from tarmac to mud stage if it washes into the car park again

irish1967 wrote: »
    Said like a true Strabane man there Smashey !:D

Just looking at that route though.. I was in Mullaghmore last year.. will Donegal town be able to hold the 50,000+ that visited that day. I presume Rally Ireland and the boys in blue have learned from the mistakes highlighted that day.

where are you referring to in the car park :confused:

coould think of a few vantage points for the rally, the bank over looking pauls car park, or the raised parking section,

the land infront of the libarary, see the cars coming over the bridge, past the funiture store, and taking the sharp right down towards new row along the river,

or on the oposite road along the river, watching the cars go towards magees factory

or from the many house/flat windows over looking

thing about a town stage, there is not tomany feilds to stand in, being streets, you are not really going to get close, not to many barriers or safe points to stand behind, donegal town is being billed as a TV stage, could be more of an advertising tool

cant remember if the presentation was in mullagmore last year or at the clarion in sligo, picturering the diamond as a good location of a winners ramp

Bit more info on the rally here

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭summerdreamn

silly question, to anyone who might know, as the rally is passing by several businesses, will they have to close for the duration of the rally? i'd imagine that it will be a huge effort to get around, on foot or otherwise! can't wait for this, it must be the biggest thing in the town since i moved here.

• Advertisement
    byte

No pedestrians allowed on any footpaths adjoining any street that the rally stage drives on. So I'd say there'd be little point being open during the rally (from what I was told from someone who seemed well clued up and was at the meeting in the Abbey). Streets get closed off at 10.30 I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

I can't wait for the rally to come to town!!
    I heard that a limited number of people with wrist bands will be allowed to onto the diamond and that there will be a few big screens at various points around the town..As for a great viewing point, I reckon,standing on the Iron bridge might be good or up at the old tech..

LoanShark wrote: »
    I can't wait for the rally to come to town!!
    I heard that a limited number of people with wrist bands will be allowed to onto the diamond and that there will be a few big screens at various points around the town..As for a great viewing point, I reckon,standing on the Iron bridge might be good or up at the old tech..

that'd be the one closed to heavy vehicles then because it was moving every time a lorry went over it lets see how many people it'll take. my office overlooks the diamond so maybe we'll get wristbands

byte

Ah, that bridge! I was, for some reason, thinking of the bridge near the Reel Inn with the steel railings :rolleyes:

Ach, Im' sure it'll cope with a handful of people standing on it :pac: (aside: if it's as bad as they say, and it looks it, why can't they replace it, as Water St can now be a nightmare?).

I have a relatively good vantage point from my workplace too, though I'd probably have to sit on the roof or something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

bumping this thread.
    Has anyone more info on tickets for the Donegal town street stage, i see tickets are available on ticketmaster, but is there different tickets of this stage or is it just free to the general public?
    Will there be viewing stands?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Macroom Man

It is the right county for the Rally. The locals drive like maniacs, with no respect for others, especially North from Ballybofey.

whats that got to do with anything, its not the locals that are competing, plus, all the stages are south of ballybofey

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Macroom Man

irish-stew wrote: »
    whats that got to do with anything, its not the locals that are competing, plus, all the stages are south of ballybofey

:rolleyes:

The rally could run on the public roads and it would be hard to distinguish the locals from the ralliers. That is my point. :cool:

Macroom Man - 2 weeks off for trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

The rally could run on the public roads and it would be hard to distinguish the locals from the ralliers. That is my point. :cool:

Seems a bit harsh to me but it is true the county has a problem.
    "Gardaí, in co-operation with the National Roads Authority, have identified almost 2,000 zones as collision prone and these will be targeted.

Co Donegal has the single largest number of zones, with 118 separate areas of roads identified as vulnerable to speeding, compared with 46 zones in Dublin."
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/1231/1230581505007.html

Advertisement