Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mature Student able to sign on for holidays?

• 30-08-2008 11:50am
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

Hi.

The University teaching course in UCC consists of 24 weeks - 12 weeks before Christmas, ~3 week break, 12 weeks of teaching, ~4 weeks break, then exams.

I've heard mature students are perfectly entitled to sign on for the break periods.

Any truth in this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I can't imagine so, no. You're either a full-time student or you aren't. If you're the former you're not entitled to sign on.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

ellscurr wrote: »
    I can't imagine so, no. You're either a full-time student or you aren't. If you're the former you're not entitled to sign on.

Yeah but during the holidays you're not in college.

I think someone who actually works in the dole told me that. If you're a mature student. I'm not quite sure though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

jayteecork wrote: »
    Yeah but during the holidays you're not in college.

I think someone who actually works in the dole told me that. If you're a mature student. I'm not quite sure though.

You're still a student though during holiday periods. It's only the Summer you graduate (or if you leave sooner) that you're eligible to sign on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

Your not allowed to sign on .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

I signed on every summer from the day after my last summer exam in the end of May until the day before start of September term & was paid benefit, but at a reduced rate as I had no earnings in relevant contribution year.
    I got BTEA during christmas & easter as this is considered part of school term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Just to clarify, mature studens on BTEA are allowed to sign on during the summer.
    I cant speak for other students

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭abi2007

Other students aren't, to get BTEA you would have been long term unemployed before starting college.

Advertisement