Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What other army uses the Steyr

• 30-08-2008 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

Obviously the Austrians, but I beleive the Aussies use it as well ? What other countries use it ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Along with that Wiki list, the SAS and the US Coast Guard used to use them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Not so sure about USCG. US Customs have them, but they're on the list.

I'm an army of one. I should be on the list. (OK, it's an AXR, not an AUG, but as near as makes no difference)

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

So you own an assault rifle, Manic? As soon as Obama/Osama gets in it will be taken from your 'cold dead hands'. :P

How does it compare to the issue M4 or whatever you tankers are issued with?

Any other interesting rifles in your collection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Not so sure about USCG. US Customs have them, but they're on the list.

I'm an army of one. I should be on the list. (OK, it's an AXR, not an AUG, but as near as makes no difference)

NTM

That uses STANAG magazines if I am not mistaken? You are well sorted when someone invades!!! I would assume there are plenty of Magazines floating around that would work in your AXR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

I spotted loads of Tunisian police carrying them on the streets of their capital. Not an army I know but just thought i might count as widespread service.

So you own an assault rifle, Manic? As soon as Obama/Osama gets in it will be taken from your 'cold dead hands'.

No. I don't live in a Class III State, so I can't own a proper assault rifle. (i.e. no "happy switch")

However, I do have semi-auto-only FAL, SIG556 and now the AXR.
    How does it compare to the issue M4 or whatever you tankers are issued with?

With two exceptions, I prefer the AXR. Exception #1 is the price: Almost $2,400 for the AXR, and I can get an M-4 equivalent (Semi-auto) for maybe half that, if not less. Granted, the AXR is not a mass-produced rifle, though, so that affects some of it. Exception #2 is that I can easily switch the M-4 from long-pull to short-pull, depending on if I'm wearing body armour (which adds about 3"-4" or so) or not, by just moving the telescoping stock backwards and forwards. With the mechanism located in the butt of the AXR (and, indeed, pretty much any bullpup), this option is not available. Technically, exception #3 is the trigger, as bullpups generally require a linkage system from the trigger to the hammer, they're not as good. However, they're good enough for government work, where match quality triggers aren't a requirement. (Still, the SIG's trigger is a real joy)
    That uses STANAG magazines if I am not mistaken?

Yes, but it's not a unique feature. Though not well advertised for whatever reason, Steyr does offer a STANAG compatible AUG. Indeed, the first run of AXRs used Steyr stocks. See part number 1211060610, the NATO Stock, so it is possible to have a STANAG AUG if you want to use the original system. As it happens, Steyr announced last month that they're setting up a production facility in the US, so the original AUGs will soon be available for purchase again. I would not be remotely surprised to note that sales of the STANAG version will be higher than the proprietary version.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

No. I don't live in a Class III State, so I can't own a proper assault rifle. (i.e. no "happy switch")

However, I do have semi-auto-only FAL, SIG556 and now the AXR.

Should have said 'assault weapon' to be accurate. I'd like a FAL to remind me of my FCA days and a .303 as well. Not completely sure the local Superintendant would approve though. :(

'assault weapon'

I prefer the term EBR. Evil Black Rifle.

Some say SUR: Sports Utility Rifle, but I think it's kindof cheesy.
    "Assault Weapon" is a phrase dreamed up by politicians to describe a class of rifle which doesn't actually exist, I refuse to use it. Same as 'High Capacity Magazine" to describe anything which holds more than 10 rounds. A STANAG 30-rounder is a Standard Capacity Magazine to my mind. 10-rounds is a low-cap.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Should have said 'assault weapon' to be accurate. I'd like a FAL to remind me of my FCA days and a .303 as well. Not completely sure the local Superintendant would approve though. :(

Not sure about the FAL, but you 'could' get a Lee Enfield, have a look at the shooting forum, they can be got and used here, albeit with a lot of legal hoops to jump through first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭cronndiesel

try indian ordinace they still do the bren (in 7.62 i think) and some other stuff some kind of a webely in .32 as well they might do de acts in .303??

Advertisement