Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding more RAM

Options
  • 30-08-2008 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Quick question. I'm about to add more RAM (from 2GB to 4GB) to my machine which hopefully improves the performance as now I do work a lot with Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom.

The only thing I'm not quite sure is whether to add the same exact RAM or replace existing with a better one.

I'm using Vista Home Edition (32-bit) with the following specs machine:
    • Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 2.13GHz Socket
    • Asus P5B P965
    • Corsair TWIN2X 5400 DDR2 2048MB PC5400
    • HIS Radeon X1650XT 256MB iSilence II PCI-Express

Comments and suggestion are always welcome. Many thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

mart_max wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Quick question. I'm about to add more RAM (from 2GB to 4GB) to my machine which hopefully improves the performance as now I do work a lot with Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom.

The only thing I'm not quite sure is whether to add the same exact RAM or replace existing with a better one.

• Asus P5B P965

With a 32bit OS you'll see a usable max of maybe 3.25gig, very easily less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Hi guys,

• Asus P5B P965

Ok the board can take upto 8GB of 800mhz(pc 6400), so if your upgrading and you have the cash you might as well splash out for faster RAM. You won't need 8GB only 4 max with the dual core chip..
    Which ever RAM you choose always get matched pairs as this increases the performance of the memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Thanks lads for the replies.

Is it much difference 800mhz RAM compared to 667mhz?

Will it work if I keep the current memory and put another 2GB PC6400 RAM in there? i suppose the PC6400 won't be running at 800mhz because the other two are running at 667mhz?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Thanks lads for the replies.

Is it much difference 800mhz RAM compared to 667mhz?

Will it work if I keep the current memory and put another 2GB PC6400 RAM in there? i suppose the PC6400 won't be running at 800mhz because the other two are running at 667mhz?

The memory will all run at the speed of the slowest, so that means it'll work at 667MHz.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

faster ram is better than more ram from a money - performance ratio standpoint. 2 gigs at 1066 is alot better than 4 gigs at 800 mhz.

• Advertisement
Advertisement