Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some database advice for a newbie!

• 30-08-2008 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi!

Im creating a website and i would like to get some advice please :D I have been researching what type of Database to use and im lost :confused:
    I need a Database that can potentially expand as its going to start off with just a few thousand records but if all goes according to plan it will end up being pretty big so can anyone point me in the right direction? I would initially like something free.. and something which is relatively straightforward to us.. its been a while since iv even looked at a database so documentation would be good!

All advice appreciated :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Most basic webhosting packages will come with a free mysql database..

do you have hosting yet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 N3wb1e

Just in the planning stages at the moment - i have been looking at a few different hosting options :) Thats something i have more of an idea about than databases - im a learner :confused:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

What coding language do you know?

For PHP -> MySql
    For ASP -> MSSQL or MySql

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

louie wrote: »
    What coding language do you know?

For PHP -> MySql
    For ASP -> MSSQL or MySql
    PHP will also do PostgreSQL and MSSQL.

How big is your database looking to be? mySQL is quite simple and should do the job. Its probably most used by small to medium sites which use databases. PostgreSQL is also a very popular option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 N3wb1e

Thanks :) mysql is what i was thinking of - its seems to be the best option so far! Iv used PHP and ASP im not an expert at either theres loads of room for improvement!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Personal preference would be for MySQL

http://adodb.sourceforge.net/ will let you handle pretty much any type of database (warning may not be entirely true) :D

MySQL can handle large data sets no problem ... basically my advice ... just don't use access :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

PHP can be used with pretty much any database actually. I have worked with it on MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle & Postgresql.

MySQL would be a good starting point and can scale very well. I have worked on enterprise level systems with it, but it doesn't suit every task.

The key element when you are starting off is not so much the database type, MySQL, MSSQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle will all probably be more than adequate to the task, but getting the database design right so you don't end up having to go back and make difficult changes down the line.

If it is an important project, you would be well advised to talk to someone with database experience to plan your database schema with you.

Advertisement