Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone got a great pepper sauce for steak recipe?

• 30-08-2008 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

hi im cooking dinner for my parents in a few weeks and was planning on doing a nice fillet steak for main course, with pepper sauce, i want to make the sauce myself, but i dont have a recipe.

anyone know a really really good one?

also, any suggestions for dessert, i want to make something a bit "different", if that makes any sense.

suggestions would be much appreciated.

yes, i do realise i could just google this stuff.

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Ok, I don't really do quantities, I measure everything by sight, but this makes a fantastic sauce.

After you've cooked your steaks, move them to a warm plate to rest. Deglaze the pan with a glass of red wine, making sure you scrape up all the lovely blackened bits from the bottom of the pan. Ad a tablespoon of cracked (but not completely crushed) black peppercorns, and boil the wine for a minute or two until it just starts to reduce. Add a carton of cream and return to the boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until the sauce reduces to your required consistency. Keep tasting and adding more pepper if needed.

Simple as that, really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I make a cream pepper sauce - I never measure anything, just taste as Im cooking.

So a tub of cream (amount determined by number of people - 250 mls is enough for 2 usually), add a tablespoon of mustard (add more if you think it needs it), throw in some black peppercorns (I tend to use 3 tablespoons), also some coarse ground black pepper and some cayenne pepper if you have it. Bring to boil, allow to simmer - KEEP STIRRING.

Very rich, very tasty, goes really well with steak.

The previous recipe is yummy, but my stomach doesnt enjoy sauces made with the juices on the pan so the above is my alternative.

If you dont fancy using cream and want an easy ordinary version use plain gravy granules and add the mustard and pepper as above, and simmer til it thickens up to sauce levels - its not as rich but it is tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

If you find that crushed dried peppercorns make for a gritty sauce, try using the green peppercorns that come in brine - a quick rinse and they're ready to use. Into the pan that cooked the steaks, add a knob of butter and one very finely diced shallot, cook for a couple of minutes and add a splash of brandy - about 2 tbsps worth, flame to burn off the alcohol. Next add a glass of good red wine and 2 tbsps of lightly crushed green peppercorns. Reduce by half and add 2 large tbsps of double cream to finish the sauce. Taste and add seasoning if necessary.

Two easy dessert suggestions that look great but are quite simple. Poached pears in a red wine sauce, or souffle pancakes with a rhubarb & ginger compote filling.

For the poached pears (these can be made a day in advance and kept in the poaching liquid in the fridge)

1 bottle good-quality red wine
    300g sugar
    1 cinnamon stick
    2 vanilla pods
    A piece of orange zest
    6 large or 8 small ripe pears

The pears want to be ripe but still firm so that they won't be mushy after the cooking. Peel them but leave the stalk on, half them and scoop out the core. Put the poaching ingredients into a large pan and add the pears. Bring to boiling point and reduce the heat to a simmer until the pears are cooked - 20 to 30 minutes. Leave in the poaching liquid to allow the red wine colour to penetrate the flesh of the pears.

To serve, warm the pears in the poaching liquid and remove, bring the liquid to a boil and reduce until it gets syrupy, taste. Allow to cool slightly. Arrange the pear halves on a plate and drizzle with a little poaching liquid and a scoop of vanilla icecream on the side.

Souffle pancakes with rhubarb & ginger compote. Gordon Ramsay's recipe.

Ingredients
    100g plain flour
    2 egg yolks, beaten
    2 egg whites
    200ml full fat milk
    2 tbsp caster sugar
    2 knobs of butter

For the rhubarb compote:
    2 stalks rhubarb
    1 vanilla pod
    2-3 inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
    Butter, unsalted
    1 tablespoon caster sugar
    1 lemon

To make the pancakes, sift the flour into a large mixing bowl, make a well in the centre and pour in the egg yolks and 1 tbsp of sugar. Whisk together and slowly add the milk, whisking as you go.

Beat the whites in another bowl with an electric mixer until they just hold soft peaks. Add the remaining sugar and beat until the mixture holds stiff peaks. Gently fold the whites into the batter mixture.

To make the compote, split the vanilla seed and scrape out the seeds. Cut the rhubarb into 2 inch pieces. Melt a little butter in a pan and add the rhubarb, ginger, vanilla pod and vanilla seeds. Stir, and add the caster sugar.

Peel 2 -3 pieces of lemon rind into the rhubarb and add 2 tablespoons of water to help the rhubarb to steam and break down, cook until the fruit is soft. Taste the fruit and ad more sugar if necessary.

Melt a little butter in an extra frying pan and ladle in batter – cooking one large pancake at a time. Allow approximately 2 minutes of cooking on the first side and 1 minute on the second - making sure they’re cooked through and golden brown on each side. Remove to the serving plates.

Spoon a little compote onto the middle of the pancakes before gently folding over and dusting with icing sugar. Serve with vanilla ice-cream.

The ginger and rhubarb really work well together or you could try adding some finely shredded japanese pickled sushi ginger - rinse the brine off it first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭blue_belle

thanks, they all sound great!

much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 wanneabecritic

for the best pepper sauce put emty pot on stove heat for few minutes add cracked black pepper leave for two minutes until just about to smoke put good glug of brandy flame then add cream and a beef stock cube or some gravy granulales let it boil and reduce it will thicken itself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

for the best pepper sauce put emty pot on stove heat for few minutes add cracked black pepper leave for two minutes until just about to smoke put good glug of brandy flame then add cream and a beef stock cube or some gravy granulales let it boil and reduce it will thicken itself

Brandy in a smoking hot pot???? sounds dangerous!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 wanneabecritic

its called flambie it will flame but its meant to thats what gives it the flavor
    !!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I usually take off my meat from the frying pan.. add a spoon of butter to get the juice off the pan, Add some cracked black pepper.. A good splash of brandy...

Then I flambe... .. Keep shaking the pan till the flame goes out.. Add cream (or if stuck I use milk and gravy stock)

Had it today with fillet steaks,

It was mighty!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

its called flambie it will flame but its meant to thats what gives it the flavor
    !!!!!!!!!!

hhmmmm...yea i know how to Flambe, but i wouldnt do it in a smoking hot pot, from a bottle....recipe for disaster if you ask me...

Advertisement