Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting A Stove In Open Fire

Options
  • 30-08-2008 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm planning to put a stove with back boiler in the sitting room where the open fire was/is. I've the fireplace taken out and thought the hole left would be alot bigger. The pipes will run along the outside covered with decorative stone cladding.

Q is how safe is it to enlarge the existing hole (see pic) and what problems am I likely to expect.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I'm not sure about the fireplace - remember the chimney breast is probably the centre of the house and is very suportive.
    You should also read this thread - you can't just run pipes anywhere. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055359706
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

around the area you have marked is of structural importance. the black area at the top of the gape would contain a head which is what is holding up the front of the brest, so removing this could cause a colapse. the inner sides of the gape are supporting the head also and removing these would have the same effect. to remove the area highlighted you would have to first support the weight of the brest then remove the masonary untill the gape is big enough. then you would have to reinforce the head and lower sides. what your essentially looking to do is remove half of the masonary that is holding the whole brest up and if you remove half the support your doubling the stress on the remaining pillars. can be done but by a pro imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

looks hairy enough lad.

I would consider getting a different size stove unit.

There is an some weight over the chimney Brest and its all bearing around that area. Would take an engineers approval before I slept well in that house again. the head would have to be removed and the lot jacked while work was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭zale

Thanks guys,

I was going to stick in a new header before I started cutting the sides away but I might be safer with a smaller stove and leave it sitting in front of the existing hole to save me cutting anything.

Cheers..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Is it not an option to brick up the fireplace opening just leaving the opening for the flue?

The stove would be "in" the room at that stage as well and you'd get more heat out of it I would think.

I agree with the others. There is a lintel in that fireplace and I'd be concerned about removing it. It could be done but would need to be done properly,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭zale

Avns1s wrote: »
    Is it not an option to brick up the fireplace opening just leaving the opening for the flue?

The stove would be "in" the room at that stage as well and you'd get more heat out of it I would think.

I agree with the others. There is a lintel in that fireplace and I'd be concerned about removing it. It could be done but would need to be done properly,

Sorry yea I meant to say blocking the existing hole with just a hole for the flue....reason I wanted the stove in the hole was so it wouldn't be taking up as much room, cause the stoves I've looked at so far are pretty big.

Actually can anyone recommend a smallish multi fuel stove with boiler to do 11 rads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

zale wrote: »
    Sorry yea I meant to say blocking the existing hole with just a hole for the flue....reason I wanted the stove in the hole was so it wouldn't be taking up as much room, cause the stoves I've looked at so far are pretty big.

Actually can anyone recommend a smallish multi fuel stove with boiler to do 11 rads.

hard to get a small one with a back boiler, depends on how many rads you have to heat, the one i went for can take a boiler as far as i know and its quite small, charnwood country 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

if you have the room you could also extend the existing fireplace to incorporate a bigger stove. I have used fire proof plaster board and metal studding in the states for a similar project. worked well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Why not try an insert?
    They are comparable to a stove and most are designed to fit an existing fire place ope. There are a number on the market.
    Check out ESSE 300 or 350. Circa €990 upwards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

zale wrote: »

I would expect that a small stove will not heat 11 rads unless they're very very small rads.

To heat what you're talking about, you'll need something like the Stanly Erin, oh and lots of fuel!

IMO an insert would be unable to provide the amount of heat, if you can get one with a back boiler.

• Advertisement
Advertisement