Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Pizza Dough

• 30-08-2008 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭

In Cork a stall in the English Market sells pizza dough - just roll it out and add your sauce and toppings.

Is there anywhere in Dublin that sells pizza dough?

I have made my own but it would be easier to buy well made dough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

No idea Damobrew but what i do is make up a load of pizza dough, divide it into single portions, wrap in plastic and freeze it. You can then take it out as you require. It won't last for months and months but you'd probably get two months out of it before it deteriorates to dust.

Rainy saturday afternoons are the best time for putting the time aside to do this type of thing. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

If it's of any use, Superquinn sell fresh pizza bases. Picked up 2 yesterday in their Swords branch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭sarz55

how do you make your own pizza bases from scratch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

sarz55 wrote: »

1) Look up a recipe.

2) Make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Just adding to this dopes anyone know where to get Italian Flour & Polenta from in Dublin ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Smoggy wrote: »
    Just adding to this dopes anyone know where to get Italian Flour & Polenta from in Dublin ?

There is a deli at the top of Johnson court just of Grafton street at the power court center, that sell it

also there is an Italian imports in smith field that should have it and i have also found Superquinn does it the odd time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Smoggy wrote: »

Any Italian deli

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

sarz55 wrote: »

Here's a recipe I got here on Boards

1 tbsp sugar
    1 tbsp salt
    Just under a pint of warm water
    700g of strong white flour for dough and dusting.
    2 sachets of dried yeast

Add the salt to your flour and make a well on a flat surface.
    Add the sugar and yeast to your warm (not Hot) water and stir for a minute. Add the mix into the well a few drips at a time scooping a little flour with a fork in aswell.
    This makes a sloppy mix, lift it out of the well of flour and leave to the edge repeating.
    So you should end up with a sloppy warm soft readybrek mixture, add more flour working with your hands till it starts to come together and devide into 4 balls of dough for medium size pizza's, 6 balls for small size.
    Dust with flour and wrap in cling film and leave to one side. If you have mates coming over leave them in the fridge after 15 mins and just take them out to roll when they come over.
    Now the real secret is tin foil. when you are ready to cook turn the oven up to full (250c or as high as it will go and let it heat up well), roll out your pizza and take some olive oil and sprinkle it onto foil 1/3 bigger than your pizza. Rub it into the foil with your hand and then carefully transfer the pizza base to it. Now put on your sauce and toppings. I have an old chopping board that I use under the foil to take it to the oven because otherwise things can get sloppy. Slip it into the lowest rack of the oven and let it go. Watch for the edges browning and curling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Another recipe from this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dough-Richard-Bertinet/dp/1856267628/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220890141&sr=8-1 (I highly recommend the book for anyone interested in making their own bread)

Makes 3 pizza bases

15g Fresh/Dried Yeast
    500g Strong white Italian Flour
    10g Salt
    50g/50ml Olive Oil
    320g/320ml Water

Crumble the yeast straight into the flour. Add the water, oil and salt. Mix well and turn out and knead to a good consistency. Roll into a ball and put either into a bowl covered with a tea towel for an hour to rest or better still rest it overnight into the fridge for a crisper pizza base that is still chewy inside (it'll rise a lot slower in the fridge because the yeast will ferment very slowly but it'll allow plenty of time for the taste to develop and is worth experimenting with I think).

Turn out the dough, divide into three balls and rest for a further 10 minutes. Flour your work surface and start working out the dough with your hands, stretching it away from you with the heel of your hand and then turning and repeating until you have a roughly circular pizza base about 20-22cm (around 8 inches approx, adjust the recipe or divide the dough differently to get bigger/smaller bases) in diameter. Have the edges slightly thicker than the centre if possible.

For baking, preheat your oven to 250 degrees, then slide in the pizzas (with toppings), preferably, have an upturned baking tray in the oven or a pizza stone while it's being preheated and slide the pizzas on top of this, this will ensure you get a nice crispy base. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.

It's more hassle than the above recipe and olive dough is wetter and slightly harder to work than normal white dough but the resulting bases are much nicer than dough that's been rolled out in my opinion (depends obviously on how much time you have for making the bases, this isn't a quick, toss together after work recipe). If you haven't kneaded before I'd recommend dropping the olive oil because it'll make things slightly easier and cutting the recipe down to a third and only attempting one small pizza as a first go. Don't be intimidated by kneading your own dough though, it's really something that you'll pick up quite quickly once you are willing to experiment and get used to. Just keep kneading until the dough feels silky and elastic under your hands and has stopped sticking to your hands and work surface. If you want to be exact, don't flour your work surface for when you're kneading dough, it'll just add more flour to the dough than the recipe wants and you end up with a drier dough than is desirable which is a bad thing in my opinion. You can flour your surfaces for shaping without this being a problem and it makes the dough easier to work with.

Advertisement