Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog S**t in Waterford

• 30-08-2008 3:53pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

Just down in waterford for a few days and can't help but notice the volume of dog **** on the paths. I walked along the marina are it seems to be all over the place. We took a walk from there out to the bowling alley near the credit union and it was more of the same. Do all the dogs here have dihorea?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

TomTom wrote: »
    Just down in waterford for a few days and can't help but notice the volume of dog **** on the paths. I walked along the marina are it seems to be all over the place. We took a walk from there out to the bowling alley near the credit union and it was more of the same. Do all the dogs here have dihorea?

Its a problem generally, a lot of dog owners here are completely inconsiderate. Barrack Street is consistently bad for dog ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've reported dogs crapping outside my home to the litter warden.

Gave address of the dog owner but to say litter warden wasn't interested would be an understatement until I informed him that I was not a dog owner and was fed up cleaning up after the local dogs crapped on a habitual basis outside my home and even in my drive and that I would bag all offending crap and deliver it weekly to his office for him to dispose of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Nothing worse than avoiding dog **** when walking anywhere. Anyone caught leaving their dogs **** on the footpath should be fined heavily.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Nothing worse than avoiding dog **** when walking anywhere. Anyone caught leaving their dogs **** on the footpath should be fined heavily.

Or at least heckled by passers-by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭mang

i totally agree.. its everywhere, i hate walking home when im twisted at 3am.. i cant see the ground let alone whats on it.
    its an issue that needs to be raised with the council. then again.. they wont fix the roads, why would they bother with dog ****e..!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

KingLoser wrote: »
    Or at least heckled by passers-by.

Heckled while being overcome by the shadows of shaking fists.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

mang wrote: »
    i totally agree.. its everywhere, i hate walking home when im twisted at 3am.. i cant see the ground let alone whats on it.
    its an issue that needs to be raised with the council. then again.. they wont fix the roads, why would they bother with dog ****e..!

Nothing worse than strolling home on a Sat night/Sun morning and realising you've walked in shi*e

or fallen in it.. hahahah

another thing is the lack of rubbish bins around town.

or fallen in it.. hahahah

I've never had the misfortune of falling in it...hope not to either ha.

Yea well it might have more to do with the quantity of fast food bought on a saturday night. I doubt many people would walk the 5 or 10 meters to a bin anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Try wheeling a pram or pushchair as well as walk young children and avoid the dog sh1t at the same time is some challenge.

God help anyone in a wheelchair that they wheel themselves, dog sh1t being one of the hazards they've got to contend with.

• Advertisement

god help anyone in a wheelchair in waterford, the place is full of hills.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

god help anyone in a wheelchair in waterford, the place is full of hills.

that and dog****, narrow footpaths and gob****e motorists who park up on said footpaths, must be a ****en pain trying to get around waterford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

deisemum wrote: »
    I've reported dogs crapping outside my home to the litter warden.

Gave address of the dog owner but to say litter warden wasn't interested would be an understatement until I informed him that I was not a dog owner and was fed up cleaning up after the local dogs crapped on a habitual basis outside my home and even in my drive and that I would bag all offending crap and deliver it weekly to his office for him to dispose of it.

Did you actually follow through on this.... that would be so cool if you did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

yea they had to hide them all, cos some fella was dumpster diving in them all night!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Uggh its so annoying, walked in some the other day was not a happy camper.

My neighbours dog, constanly used to do his business in our garden , we told them but hey wasnt in theres so they didnt really do much about it , one day stood in it got really fed up , shoveled it up and put it in her drive way , kept doing this! we have and understanding now !:p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

emo!! wrote: »
    Uggh its so annoying, walked in some the other day was not a happy camper.

My neighbours dog, constanly used to do his business in our garden , we told them but hey wasnt in theres so they didnt really do much about it , one day stood in it got really fed up , shoveled it up and put it in her drive way , kept doing this! we have and understanding now !:p

Isn't putting a bottle of water in your garden supposed to stop it? Or is that a myth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Sully wrote: »
    Isn't putting a bottle of water in your garden supposed to stop it? Or is that a myth?
    That's probably the best laugh I've had in ages!

The only way that putting bottles of water in your garden would work is if you fill your garden up with bottles so that the dog doesn't have room to take a ****!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

AdMMM wrote: »
    That's probably the best laugh I've had in ages!

The only way that putting bottles of water in your garden would work is if you fill your garden up with bottles so that the dog doesn't have room to take a ****!

Iv seen hundreds of houses do it for years and claimed success. So I assume you can state its a myth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Usually the people claiming success are the same people who think it's bad luck to walk under ladders or break mirrors. It's pure superstition and there's no scientific merit to it.

my nan used do that, she used put it around her trees, its ment to stop them peeing on them, doesnt work! Gives them the urge more imo!!

• Advertisement

the bottled water is for cats innit?

the bottled water is for cats innit?

prolly! doesnt work either way tbh!

still cats/dogs all the same when there in your garden and doing there business and they aint yours.

emo!! wrote: »
    prolly! doesnt work either way tbh!

still cats/dogs all the same when there in your garden and doing there business and they aint yours.

true, but if i had to **** outside.. i wouldnt do it in my own garden.

true, but if i had to **** outside.. i wouldnt do it in my own garden.

hahahha a totally different way of looking at it , but true!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Think it has to be a green bottle. The way I heard it is that cats & dogs don't like to see their reflection.

lugha wrote: »
    Think it has to be a green bottle. The way I heard it is that cats & dogs don't like to see their reflection.

A word of caution, suggesting that might get AdMMM into another fit of laughing!

Anyway, ya it is usually a green bottle. Iv seen lots of people do it, even those who are not "superstitious"!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

I'll tell what doesn't work. Those green crystal things you get in the DIY shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Iv seen hundreds of houses do it for years and claimed success. So I assume you can state its a myth?

Sounds like a case of monkey see, monkey do to me.

http://www.gardeningtipsnideas.com/2006/06/how_to_stop_dogs_pooping_on_your_lawn.html
    # Filled bottles of water laid on the lawn - and the rationale for this is? Apparently the idea is that dog's won't do defecate an area where there is fresh water. They see the water in the bottles and judge it to be fresh and therefore will leave your lawn alone.

This is the most stupid theory but there are many gardeners who still practice it. As if a dog could tell whether there was fresh water, salty water or pure ether in those bottles. Results have proven conclusively that this is a myth. In this forum where it is discussed one commenter accurately states,

Even if the bottle idea did work wouldn't a low profile dog doo doo that will break down in a day or so, look better in your front yard than a heap of plastic water bottles. Would make the place look like there had been a huge party the night before. Might as well just throw all your rubbish out there.

KevIRL wrote: »

Ah so it is a myth! Pitty not all gardeners practise this! I always thought there might be some truth to it as the amount of people that did it was usually pretty high!

• Advertisement

KevIRL wrote: »

As much as I agree that a bottle of water won't do anything.....
    If you can catch the dog stick his nose in it. Ever tried rubbing your nose in your own faeces? No. I didn't think so then don't do it to a dog. Could you imagine your Mum rubbing your nose into a poop that missed the toilet? Family and Children's Services would sue her.

This is how I trained my dog to not sh*t in the house. So I'm sure it may work by the same principle.

Also
    So, if none of these ideas work what will?You need to find out why the dog prefers your lawn over your neighbours. Perhaps the dog has some privacy from fences or hedges. Maybe the grass is greener or softer. Whatever it is try and experiment with changes to your lawn that may deter it.

Dogs care about privacy? Didn't know that...Any dog I know is just as happy to do it on the footpath as this thread title has suggested.

Dogs are colourblind.....greener grass...naaah

Advertisement