Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony DAV-DZ260 Theater System €199

• 30-08-2008 4:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Guineys talbot street are selling this for €199 but i went to Power City and they matched it (€280 in Sony shop and €220 in power city).The great thing i like about it is that there is an Optical and Coaxial in so you can hook up your xbox 360 or PS3 (not at same time as they both take optical,maybe you can get a splitter?) to it for surround sound.Also rips cds to usb connected flash drive and is an upscaler.It synchs to Bravia tvs.Link to english prices and specs http://www1.dealtime.co.uk/-sony+dav+dz+260+5.1ch Check out reviews on Amazon.co.uk which has cheapest price but does not deliver here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

I am setting this up for someone tonight. I have never seen so many good reviews on amazon before! Check them out
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/product/B0015S394U/ref=cm_cr_pr_link_1?%5Fencoding=UTF8&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

He paid €205 in powercity sallynoggin, not sure if he asked for a price match,

€209 online http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-22-DZ260

Any other decent brands/stuff in Guineys??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Not bad at all for ~200e.I didnt realise you could get systems with optical inputs.I though you'd have to get an amplifier for that.Anyone no where you could get four cheap speaker stands??Apparently, a proper home cinema set up transforms a gaming experience on a ps3 or 360.Very tempted...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭PIMPHO

I've had this system for a while now and only recently figured out how to get the tv sound through the system. I connect the system to the LCD via HDMI and the NTL box to system via scart lead. Works perfect. As for the upscaling of DVD to 1080i, it only goes to 720p on the tv for some reason? My tv isn't 1080p but it should still upscale it to 1080i? The tv is a Samsung LCD.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Oh I bought it in Currys for €250 over 6 months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I was considering it on Pixmania the other day, €201 inc delivery.

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/1176290/art/sony/dav-dz260-home-cinema-sys.html

Let me know how you get on with the amount of connections etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ninty

Connected to tv via hdmi,working perfect.connected xbox 360 and PS3 with 3 optical 2m cables and splitter i got on ebay for €15.DVD player seems to auto detect what input i'm using so far(TV for Xbox and PS3).Loads of different audio and Video settings i havent tried yet,quiet happy with default ones.A lot of people think a 720P picture is better than 1080I.Argos do relativly cheap stands.

• Advertisement

PIMPHO wrote: »
    I've had this system for a while now and only recently figured out how to get the tv sound through the system. I connect the system to the LCD via HDMI and the NTL box to system via scart lead. Works perfect.
    Had me a bit worried. It has a 3.5mm line in jack on the front. Then on the back it had 2xdigital audio in, co-ax, and optical, had HDMI out and scart out, some other new digi connection, but no phono analogue audio in! and no 3.5mm analogue in at the back. Also has USB for sticks with music, pics or film.

I was thinking I was going to have to have phono out on the TV going to a 3.5mm in the front of the unit which would look crap (it is intended for mp3 players).

I had a scart adaptor kit and connected 2phone from the TV out, to the scart device and inserted in the dvdplayer, this scart device then has a input/output switch. The fact the scart just said OUTPUT was worrying, but on the sony site it said it had audio in via scart. Then you have to press function on the remote until it says TV.

If the NTL box was just connected you would not get your terrestrial sound out of the TV, may not be a problem for most, but some might be recording on the NTL box, and watching another terrestrial station at the same time.

So be warned if you want a different setup, esp, with no HDMI since you may already be using the scart.

The only other problem is the unit is very deep and sticking out the front of the shelving.

PIMPHO wrote: »
    As for the upscaling of DVD to 1080i, it only goes to 720p on the tv for some reason? My tv isn't 1080p but it should still upscale it to 1080i? The tv is a Samsung LCD.
    How can you actually tell what it is upscaling to? In my setup it was on auto 1080p, there was an option to set to 1080i on that list, is this not visible/selectable on yours? or when it is selected do you get no picture?

I am just wondering if I need to change anything on the TV too (also a samsung, series 5 37" 1080p), i.e. I am unsure whether I am getting the best pic possible, and if that setting might turn itself off somehow.

My new NTL box has digital audio out jack, but I am not sure if they actually broadcast it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭PIMPHO

I figured it out last night regarding the video format output upto 1080i. Just press the video format button on the control and choose whatever format you want to watch the DVD. Played around with the audio button aswell last night and only realised now that I can change from Dolby to NTS! Watched Die Hard 4 which had NTS sound and it was unbelievable! The sofa was shaking with the bass and subwoofer. Tried Transformers after and the sound wasn't as good as the DH4 as it didn't have NTS, only Dolby. Still class sound system for the price though!

I might be wrong but think there was thread on here a few weeks back saying that DID or Powercity were selling this sound system for €99, the silver coloured version. Could be wrong though, can't be sure.

I might be wrong but think there was thread on here a few weeks back saying that DID or Powercity were selling this sound system for €99, the silver coloured version. Could be wrong though, can't be sure.[/quote]

They were selling the old DAV 230 (ex display) models for €129,Currys are doing old model for €179(new).They have no HDMI or optical and coaxial input not sure which)

Another good thing was the calibration microphone. You set up all the speakers and then tell it how they are arranged. We were after a 2.1 system but few are available. So we just have the woofer behind the TV in a corner, centre on the dvd, and the other 4 on the 2 shelves left & right. Looks great and you can make so it is just 2 channel anyway, it is probably better this way since most 2.1 sets would have had speakers too big to fit on the individual shelves, this fits perfect.

You get a microphone with the kit and you stick it where you are most likely to be sitting. Then you turn on a setting and it blasts out interferance noise from all speakers, the microphone picks this up and adjusts the volume accordingly.

Then I found you could go into deeper settings to view the results, they seemed spot on but could be further adjusted. e.g. the woofer had +4dB, since it was hidden behind the TV. The left had 0.0dB, and the right had -2dB, this made sense since there is a chair in the room in the way on the left side, so the right should be quieter. If you rearrange the room you just do this again, takes about 3mins, or you could manually adjust them anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

I got the DAV-DZ260 as a part of a bundle deal with my 40" Bravia, and so far it's fantastic.

Simple to setup, good length leads for the rear speakers and great sound out of it from the theater systems itself and I put an optical between it and my 360. Never heard anything like it from a games system.

Well worth it for 200 squid. When I bought it, it was around 4 ton on the shelf but I paid just under 150 with the bundle.

• Advertisement

My brother was so impressed he got one too, even though I told him sound might be an issue. He is using a CRT TV with just scart. But the sound does come from normal analogue TV through the box, or the NTL box.

So it seems if a DVD is playing the sound comes from the DVD player up to the TV, but when watching TV you just change the setting on the DVD remote to TV and then it takes audio down from the scart on the TV to the DVD.

I am not certain all TVs would do this, the TV is a decent Sony 100Hz which was good in its day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭k123456

Can the speakers be wall mounted, do, they come with suitable brackets

screw recess on back of speakers for a wall or a tripod inset fitting for a stand,no brackets with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 smokey111

D.I. D. Electrical in Wexford Bought this morning for €189.99. Best price out there......

• Registered Users Posts: 37 market_garden

Got this along with the Sony KDL32v4000 all for €549 in Currys a few weeks ago. Nice piece of kit and a great deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ricky123

I recently bought this system and I find it fantastic.

On some dvd's I don't get any sound from the surround speakers. Is this normal? Is surround sound only on certain dvd's?

ricky123 wrote: »
    I recently bought this system and I find it fantastic.

On some dvd's I don't get any sound from the surround speakers. Is this normal? Is surround sound only on certain dvd's?

Nearly all modern DVDs have surround sound though some(action movies) use it more than others and it can seem like there is no sound coming from speakers,some free dvds that come with mags etc dont have surround sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

smokey111 wrote: »
      D.I. D. Electrical in Wexford Bought this morning for €189.99. Best price out there......

And there is a further 5% discount with AXA www.axaplus.ie if you have your car insurance with them.

http://www.axaplus.ie/did_index.htm

Hi
      Indeed, I get the full surround working on some dvd's. But I can't hear sound through the 2 surround speakers on a lot of my collection. I don't hear any sound out of the 2 speakers on radio and music cd's either. Is this normal??

the default setting for radio and cd's is 2 speaker stereo,you can change this to come from all speakers.you will have to check book for this.

• Advertisement

You need to change the decoding mode to get sound from all the speakers with a cd. Look it up in the manual

I got this system too btw and i find it a fantastic piece of kit for the 170e i paid for it a few months back. Incredible when playing games that have DD built in. Totally recommend it

I paid 249 euro from Sony centre. Very pleased with it though.
      Looking forward to hooking up ps3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

Got this along with the Sony KDL32v4000 all for €549 in Currys a few weeks ago. Nice piece of kit and a great deal.

I got it with this deal too and love it. I have noticed that some DVD's don't have the full surround sound.....only the front speakers. When its in ful surround sound its amazing though!

M

ninty wrote: »
      the default setting for radio and cd's is 2 speaker stereo,you can change this to come from all speakers.you will have to check book for this.
      Yeah, its easy enough. I got a special remote from my mate to make it region free too, have yet to check if it now plays divx too, i.e. in the US it does, not sure if the unlocking enables this.

I'd love to be able to unlock mine as I have some US DVD's. What remote did u use man?

I don't think it will play DivX even unlocked :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

http://www.avforums.com/forums/dvd-player-hacks/795237-successful-sony-dvp-ns78-multi-region-hack.html

Have a look at this thread and some related threads on AV Forums - the method and remote outlined there worked for me.

This is in Currys Sligo for 199 euro and in Currys Enniskillen 150 Sterling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Now on amazon uk site for £117.99 (~€130)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Wertz wrote: »
      But amazon don't ship electricals to Ireland. Just checked that particular product out, and it's a no go.

I got mine for christmas! €199 from PC World of all places. Very impressed so far, but need to pick up a HDMI cable tomorrow to get the full experience.

• Advertisement
    • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Saw that tv in DID for that price but no mention of home cinema system. Which currys did you get it in?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Saw that tv in DID for that price but no mention of home cinema system. Which currys did you get it in?
      The Currys offer he is on about is over now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

snappieT wrote: »
      But amazon don't ship electricals to Ireland. Just checked that particular product out, and it's a no go.

...and haven't done so for 2 yrs or more. I only posted the price to show how much more we're being charged and for any of our readers in the North/UK, or anyone who can get it delivered to friends/family there. Free delivery I might add.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

For those with a BD (blu-ray) player I would suggest you consider to buy a proper hi dev sound (dolby True HD & DTS Master) AV receiver for a little more. The Sony DG820 at richer sounds is £229. But of course you will have to buy speakers.

Wertz wrote: »

Just ordered it.

Thanks (I have a relative in NI)

snappieT wrote: »

I got mine for christmas! €199 from PC World of all places. Very impressed so far, but need to pick up a HDMI cable tomorrow to get the full experience.

How much did you pay for your HDMI cables? I wonder if Tesco will ever have those €2.50 cables ever again?

• Advertisement
    • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

FWIW - I have the DZ230 (back when it was €269 :( )and it's a stunning system, no drawbacks that I've discovered yet anyway. Solid buy if they've followed the trend with the 260.

Whatever you do, use the mic to set it up/calibrate first run. Makes all the difference.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

madmoe wrote: »
      How much did you pay for your HDMI cables? I wonder if Tesco will ever have those €2.50 cables ever again?

Thanx for that mate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

it's 159.95 in power city
      http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-22-DZ260

• Advertisement
    • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

OT but can someone explain how Tesco had some HDMI cables for a few euro when Currys sell some for €70!!!!! Are there different quality standards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭321654

OT but can someone explain how Tesco had some HDMI cables for a few euro when Currys sell some for €70!!!!! Are there different quality standards?

never ever buy cables from Dixons, Currys.
      Their top rip-off item.

I got the DZ260 there a few months ago and it really is an outstanding system for the price. I use it fot normal tv and console gaming(360 and ps3). It excels in all areas i've tested and my god, it completely transforms shooter games like gears of war 2. Turn it up loud and the gunshots sound amazing!! For 160e in Power city, and probably less up North, it really is a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

madmoe wrote: »
      I wonder if Tesco will ever have those €2.50 cables ever again?
      They have them in Tesco Castlebar, they are priced at €5 but they scan in at €2.50. Picked one up today, there was at least half a dozen left.
      decob wrote: »
      Feck them, I checked with them last week and they said they don't stock them... went and bought it in DID Electric at €190...

Qwerty? wrote: »
      They have them in Tesco Castlebar, they are priced at €5 but they scan in at €2.50. Picked one up today, there was at least half a dozen left.

Feck them, I checked with them last week and they said they don't stock them... went and bought it in DID Electric at €190...

Double darn it, was in Castlebar Tesco today and never thought to look for them!! Doh :-(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Got my unit today in power city. In and out in 10mins and i kept my money in the local economy. 159. Now, anybody know how to make it region free?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭RS6

How is everyone connecting their tvs ps3 ntl sky etc to the box?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

What I did:

Digibox & other satellite box > DVD recorder > TV (scart)

DAV > TV (other scart)

The scart on the DAV works as an input when it isn't outputting and the scart on my TV will output audio to the other scart in a similar fashion.

I haven't set it up fully (to experience all 5.1 of it) but have tested this cabling combination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 benzo22

i bought the dz260 a month after xmas in power city for 160e! its a brilliant system the sound is so good ill never listen to music through anything else again! the woofer is so powerful it hits bass so low and loud you never knew it was in the song . i have a 32LG3000,with a 360 a ps2 my comp a blu ray and this system all plugged in. and the sony plays sound for all via one optical cable from the opt out on the tv to the opt in oat the back of the sony.the auto claibration mic it comes with is a good idea and works too.it balances the sound by playing a seris of beeps and what not so your always in thw sweet spot. the sony has a usb port at the front, i connect my phone in there and it reads the music like it was an mp3 player. also a cool feature is that it plays data cds.....you can burn 700meg of music as opposed to 80 mins on a disc (maybe 6 or 7 albums or 100-150 singles) and it reads them and shower the song name and that on the screen. you can also rip music from a cd to and mp3 or phone using the dz260 in one go. great great system reconmend getting it if you see it anywhere ! would have payed 350 E!!!

• Advertisement
    Advertisement