Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new graphics card issue

Options
  • 30-08-2008 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Just installed my new GTX 280 and Im having a weird problem.
    When running games im getting a very high pitched buzz noise thats constant while just playing games or running any 3d application. I cant really tell if its coming from the PSU or the card.

Also my pc crashed twice so far. And all that appears is some random colours on screen looks like some kind of graphics glitch.

My specs.

E6600 Core 2 duo
    680i nForce
    GTX 280
    OCZ 2GB Ram.
    OCZ 850w PSU

Any help appreciated :D

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Could be a heat problem. Check your core temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Temps are normal. CPU at 47c. Card at 60c

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Have you checked under heavy load?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Tyrant^ wrote: »
    Hi all

Just installed my new GTX 280 and Im having a weird problem.
    When running games im getting a very high pitched buzz noise thats constant while just playing games or running any 3d application. I cant really tell if its coming from the PSU or the card.

Also my pc crashed twice so far. And all that appears is some random colours on screen looks like some kind of graphics glitch.

My specs.

E6600 Core 2 duo
    680i nForce
    GTX 280
    OCZ 2GB Ram.
    OCZ 850w PSU

Any help appreciated :D

Tis the card: there are reported issues with the 260/280GTX.
    Capacitors on the card itself are the cause of the buzzing seemingly.

In some cases the buzzing stopped after a few weeks or when users tried a different power supply with better strength rails.

I would try get a shot of a spare good quality psu and see how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've got a funny issue where I get this - but ONLY when I play Crysis? Quite strange....And I don't even mean literally playing the game, as soon as the first screen appears, it's a sudden high pitched whine that won't die until I quit the game....playing other games for hours at a time without experiencing it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Im just after ordering a gtx260 with my new build,so can i expect this whiney sound as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Im just after ordering a gtx260 with my new build,so can i expect this whiney sound as well?

Random from what little i picked up on either the guru3d or hardocp forums.

Some had no issues, some had the issue but it went away as mentioned in my above post.

Seems to be random.

I wouldn't be too worried ahead of time, build the pc first and see :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

cool thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I've got a funny issue where I get this - but ONLY when I play Crysis? Quite strange....And I don't even mean literally playing the game, as soon as the first screen appears, it's a sudden high pitched whine that won't die until I quit the game....playing other games for hours at a time without experiencing it!

I say its cause this game puts more stress on your video card then other games.

I had a nvidia card that did the same thing. Cost me 300euros and it drove me mad. In the end i just stoped using that computer...
    Even the 8800GTS im using now can do it also. But not bad at all and only when its under pressure it will do it.

Some have said underclocking the card slightly can resolve this problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah but it does it when the first splash screen appears, as in, even in the main menu my machine starts whining like an injured puppy....

• Advertisement
Advertisement