Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help needed please

• 30-08-2008 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

hi everyone, I have a broadband modem and a wireless router, the wireless connection to my acer aspire 1360 laptop was running fine until about a month ago, im running win xp, ive had a go at getting it going but to no avail, the icon in the right hand corner was saying acquiring network address and i got that sorted by clicking sharing in LAN settings however its now telling me im connected but with no signal, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver for the wireless card but all this done is set up a new connection and im still getting no signal, any ideas:confused:, any help greatly appreciated as this is driving me nuts thanks in advance:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

have pa put in the wep correctly, it can happen if there is multiple wep's and ya can choose which one to use, that could have changed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Gonna move this one to windows. I think it's better suited to there.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭anthony112

sorry mods didnt know where to put this, thanks for your replies so far, I dont think i need a wep as i have to put in a network key which i have, the settings are wpa-psk, tkip then the network key. In authentication the IEEE 802.1 is not selected, I think these settings are right but am not sure if anyone knows different then please feel free to give your support :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Try using a cat 5 cable and see if you get an IP, if yes then that ensures the DHCP server is working ok. Sounds like a network key problem, just temporarily disable the encryption and see if you can connect, if yes then bob's your mothers brother you have identified the key as being at fault, always copy and paste the key in when needed and save it in a text file kept securely.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭anthony112

hi munster,thanks for your reply, I am conneced by cable with no problems at all also i have another laptop thats working fine with the wireless router so i dont think its a router problem also i made up the network key myself when installing the router which i have also reinstalled by i still have no signal it says connected but no signal also when i view the wireless connection it says 100% signal then no signal and keeps jumping from 54mbps to 1.0mbps, I dont think its a network key issue as the other laptop works fine , i think it might just be a setting im over looking and help you can give with this is greatly appreciated, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

are there other routers in your area? The signals might be clashing if theyre on the same channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 6Jesus6Allah6

anthony112 wrote: »
    hi munster,thanks for your reply, I am conneced by cable with no problems at all also i have another laptop thats working fine with the wireless router so i dont think its a router problem also i made up the network key myself when installing the router which i have also reinstalled by i still have no signal it says connected but no signal also when i view the wireless connection it says 100% signal then no signal and keeps jumping from 54mbps to 1.0mbps, I dont think its a network key issue as the other laptop works fine , i think it might just be a setting im over looking and help you can give with this is greatly appreciated, thanks

I am not going to explain this very well but I had a similar problem a year or more ago. Basically you need to stop, from what I remember, using windows to manage your wireless. Grab the latest Intel manager, I think.

It has more advanced options and there is one in there about making one laptop the boss and the rest have to have access rights.

I did say I was not going to explain it very well :) I'll have a look on my note book tomorrow to see if I can find that "advanced" setting. All I can remember is that I had the same issues you had with being able to connect using another note book and by the cat cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 iTroll

I'd recommend downloading IntelPro Wireless and using that to manage your wireless settings.

Advertisement