Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olive oil

Options
  • 30-08-2008 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

Is "extra virgin olive oil" = "extra virgin olive oil"? I mean....are they all the same? I saw some for sale in Lidls and it was _cheap_.

I'm suspicious. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

If it says Extra Virgin Olive oil, it has to be extra virgin olive oil. It's a legal requirement. Mind you, there is a bit of a mistique about EVOO, some places act as if they were selling vintage wine, not oil. Lidl and Adli stock perfectly good stuff, just no fancy packaging.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Yeah you can think about it like wine. Not all Bordeaux wines are of top, top quality and cost €40/bottle. Some are still good quality (and still Bordeaux wines), but cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Thanks to both of you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Suprman

EileenG wrote: »
    If it says Extra Virgin Olive oil, it has to be extra virgin olive oil. It's a legal requirement. Mind you, there is a bit of a mistique about EVOO, some places act as if they were selling vintage wine, not oil. Lidl and Adli stock perfectly good stuff, just no fancy packaging.

I love olive oil and have tried loads includiing some expensive ones...and Id have to say Lidl and Aldi are my favourite...far more flavoursome than the most popular ones...

:)

Advertisement