Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lovin' Non Fiction

Options
  • 30-08-2008 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭

I'll start this from June 08 because the pile of books I've read since then are still on the floor beside my bed. At the moment, well since 2001 or thereabouts, I've been reading mainly non-fiction. I tend to buy books which will make me laugh or on subjects that fascinate me. So here it begins

I Know You Got Soul - Jeremy Clarkson
    My Boring Ass Life - Kevin Smith
    The World According to Clarkson - Jeremy Clarkson
    Death Zone - Matt Dickinson
    Into Thin Air - John Krakauer
    Bad Lands - Tony Wheeler
    Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte

Today I bought Twilight by Stephenie Meyer as I hear its a good book albeit for teenagers, but I'm still one at heart. Its the first fiction book I've bought in quite some time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hi Nightwish

Thanks for replying to my recent thread so I am returning the favour.

Jeremy Clarkson novels really are great. He has a great humour and is a very witty individual. He compliments his style well as has an enormous amount of motoring knowledge to draw on. Read The World According to Clarkson and it was a brilliant read. The Dead Zone is a wonderfully written book which explains in detail the hazards of climbing Everest and how treacherous it is, 8 people did not make it (1996). Wuthering Heights is a terrific novel which goes into such depth to explain Cathy’s story.

I am not sure you are aware that Within Temptation are huge fans of Emily Bronte’s work and have incorporated aspects into the songs (videos) that are taken from Bronte’s novels. The house filled with so many memories (Memories) and also the vengeful poisoning of the husband (Frozen). While not directly related to Frozen they take aspects of the story and many others and incorporate it into their work. Read that online.

I am strongly drawn to archaeology, political opinions and history. Have a shelf beside me filled with loads of goodies and my recently read are as follows:

Dalai Lama – The Art of Happiness
    In Search of the 1st Civilisations
    Native American History
    Hamlet
    Seven Pillars of Wisdom
    The Great Food Gamble

Finding the time to read recently is becoming alarmingly difficult. I seem to be more concentrated on writing and very recently, keyboard playing, so I really should get back to it, or at least make the time and effort. My recent thread has inspired me to go and get my hands on The Gothic Tradition. This book explains in detail the Gothic influences on modern writers and draws on comparisons of the changing trends in writers beliefs and how looking at The Gothic World gives them inspiration and a deeper understanding in what is a very difficult to understand and wonderful story telling world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Loved Twilight and I've just ordered the sequel New Moon. I cannot wait to get it and continue the Vampire love story :D

I bought Pop Babylon on Saturday, which is part of Imogen Edwards Jones "Babylon" series. I hope its a bit more interesting than last years Beach Babylon, which was quite boring.

Hope you enjoyed Twilight, it is a great read. Won't spoil anything for you as there are three more books in the series ;). Read the first two and last year read the third and loved them all. Regarding Meyer, she is a brilliant author. She is very upset now because some of her recent work leaked here on the net, seriously pi$$ed off (as you would be!!!) Fourth instalment of the Twilight series (Breaking Dawn released Aug 28) and sold spectacularly.

Am now a fully fledged student so hope to be able to read a lot more than I have been of late. Enjoy your reading time. Terrific win for Kilkenny (both finals), very one sided in the end (as they can be). Bumped into some fans from Ballyragget at the Backyard Babies gig at Manchester Academy on Sunday night. Very happy fans they were. Must have been brill being there.

Speaking of Babylon, Hotel Babylon, it is on RTE2 at 00:15 tonight if you want to watch it or record it.

During my recent holidays I got through 5 books. Michael Moore's Guide to the Election is a pretty harmless, funny and obviously partisan guide to this years US Presedential election. It uncludes dumb election questions from equally dumb Yanks, a love song for Obama and why European elections are superior to the American ones.

I followed this by re-reading the ever hilarious Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot and Other Observations by my favourite political satirist Al Franken. I also re-read Freakonomics as I recently found it after 2 years missing in my house. The latest addition to the Babylon series "Pop Babylon" by Imogen Edwards Jones was enjoyable, but still I felt it lacking in comparison to the first 2 books in the series. It was still better than the last one - Beach Babylon, which I found boring. Pop Babylon charts the rise (and of course fall) of a manufactured boyband, as put together by a failing indie-band manager. It is quite realistic, however I felt the story seemed almost rushed, as towards the end everything ties up too quickly.
    Finally I read Blackwater, an investigative insight into the private army contracted out to Iraq and Afghanistan. Its a thoroughly depressing and frightening read.

I'm now onto the second book in Stephenie Myers series - New Moon and I am hooked. I know its a book for people ten years younger than I, but its so well told and quite gripping.

Al Franken. Didn't he do a Valentines day announcement that he was to be a Senate candidate for Minnesota in 2007?, people in The Senate laughed at him, and he was indeed nominated in June of this year. Terrific achievement.

Blackwater is something else alright. Not only depressing and frightening but real and unedited. Effectively acting as a Praetorian Guard they do. Accountability is something that needs to be addressed.

Read The Secret History of the American Empire: Economic Hit Men, Jackals and the Truth about Global Corruption by John Perkins a few weeks ago. He looks at Global Consumerism and how the benefits of a "free market" does not benefit everyone in the world. A very insightful book and is a follow up to Confessions of an Economic Hitman. A lot of people have questioned his credibility as being a former member of the National Security Agency (NSA). I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Just back from Crete so will be looking into Greek history very soon. I have my eye on a few great books that explain in detail, and give an immense look at one of the worlds most influential cultures.

Speaking of Twilight. The film based on Meyer's first novel will be released next month so I hope it does well. I also hope they got the casting right as I am sure the plan will be to put all four of her novels onto the big screen. Several scenes have recently been re-shot. Production link below.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1099212/

Put an order in for True Stories of Law and Order:SVU by Kevin Dwyer and Jure Fiorillo so can't wait. It is highly recommended.

• Advertisement

Hi Nightwish

How are you coming along with the Stephanie Meyers Twilight novels? Was just recently at a screen writing course with Laurence Henson. The writer of Twilight (Melissa Rosenberg) spent time in his workshops in the UK. He is a very good teacher.

Just got my hands on Rant by Chuck Palahniuk. Can't wait to get into it.

Finished Breaking Dawn last week. I could have finished it a fortnight earlier if it hadnt been delayed for reasons unknown while in transit to my house. Now I feel like something is missing! I was so engrossed in the story for the past month or so and now its over! Hopefully chapter 1 of Midnight Sun will help.

I spent a considerable number of hours yesterday sitting in both Montpellier and Charleroi airports which gave me a chance to start (and finish) the latest Ross O Carroll Kelly book. Its good to see he's still in form but the story didnt make me lol as much as previous books.

Advertisement