Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question for those who have had eye surgery, re: Halos

• 30-08-2008 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I had eye surgery on Wednesday evening and noticed a massive improvement in my eyesight. I was -9.25 with astigmatism and now I can see. I've followed the directions to the letter, no reading or computer for the first day (this is my first time online and I'm wearing sunglasses as I type this), taking eye drops, using eye guards.

At the moment I'm experiencing variations in my eyesight which is normal and the sheet says this will continue foir a number of weeks.

I'm slightly concerned over two things:

1. I seem to get a haze or the Vaseline type effect at different points during the day, mainly when I wake up and in the evening time.

2. I have halos and fuzzy light around any car lights, the tv & computer screen or natural light coming in throught the window, bouncing off furniture etc. Is this normal, has anyone else suffered from it and did it go away.

I know its only early days yet and I know that Halos are a known side effect when I underwent the procedure. Did anyone else suffer from these at the beginning and can they go away?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

If you have any concerns, I'd advsie asking your doctor/optician.

They know that people are very concerned with their sight, and probably will be willing to answer any questions that you might have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭daheff

i had my eyes done in january. I still have some halos & starbursts....generally they say that they will take about 1 month per diopter to heal fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Rael

When you say one month per diopter, does that mean one month per pont on the scale your sight was measured? In my case -9.25 would mean 9 months approximately?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

I had mine done over a week ago and am having some of the same issues as you, although none are particularly worrying. The only one I have a concern about if the "starburst" / haze on light colours on dark backgrounds, e.g. traffic & car lights, reading credits at the end of a movie, etc.

I haven't had any real fluctuation in the last week during the healing process, so I have a feeling this is something I'm going to have to come to terms with.

But who knows, my sight is better than 20/20 and friends who've had it done tell me it'll be healing and settling down for months, so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭daheff

Rael wrote: »
    When you say one month per diopter, does that mean one month per pont on the scale your sight was measured? In my case -9.25 would mean 9 months approximately?

yes exactly. mine were -5.25 and i had them in Jan...still not fully healed...but seem to still be getting better ....

the one month per diopter is a general indication...not a hard and fast rule

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I had mine done about 2 weeks ago, still getting slight halos but not as much as the first week. I drove down from Belfast last night and actually found it fine. Traffic lights are slightly distorted, but not too bad. I heard the 'one month per diopter' theory too, and from people I know who got their eyes done, this seems to be the general consensus. Wavefront is supposed to reduce the halos too. This is what I had done, and so far so good! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

Op, you will have to give the eyes some more time to get used to working without the aid of glasses or lens. Think of it as a muscle which has not been used for quite a while. I had it done last may, without any problems. The wavefront treatment I had should eleminate any halo effect but its only now that I'm doing any night driving so over the winter months I may notice it but I've not to date. Take it easy and it should all come together, for me it was the best thing I could have done. My only regret was waiting for my 40th to get it done!

Advertisement