Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ear protection.

Options
  • 30-08-2008 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

As above can anyone recommend some good ear procetion, was out this afternoon with my new cz .223 was using my old FCA ear plugs that were issued about 14 years ago and they were sh*te to be honest. Still got a bit of a dull ache in both ears. So lads and ladies what are ye wearing and whats good at the moment that wont break the bank.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Believe it or not, the best of the lot is the disposable foam ear plugs that you roll up and shove in your ear canal - they have the highest db rating - over 32 I think.

They can be uncomforatble over long periods but at about €1 per set you can't go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Halfords sell the best of the foam ones - they'll be in the bike section 34db reduction. They're a lot softer than others I've tried and fairly comfortable.
    If target shooting I wear the Peltor Optime 3 - only about 15 or 20 euros! I have the foam ones in as well.
    Them and a moderator and you could shoot all day long without a bother.

No such thing as overkill when it comes to the aul hearing ;)

There's already a few good posts on here about all this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Mr Mole

Peltor Optima or Peltor H10A meet the Health and Safety Spec, and are not too expensive.
    http://www.anderco-shop.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25_48&products_id=454&osCsid=c6d274b52663da61ed7c2b164fbad3fa

If you are using ear protection on a range where conversation is essential, use a high spec set with audio cut off, (ie a set of ear defenders with batteries). Expensive, but good.

As for the simple ear plugs, be very careful. They might indicate the decibel protection on the wrapper, but if not properly inserted (and most aren't) you will sustain irreversable damage to your hearing. They can be used as additional protection under the headset.

You paid good money for your firearm, invest in some good eye and ear protection for yourself as well.:)

Happy and safe shooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

As above can anyone recommend some good ear procetion, was out this afternoon with my new cz .223 was using my old FCA ear plugs that were issued about 14 years ago and they were sh*te to be honest. Still got a bit of a dull ache in both ears. So lads and ladies what are ye wearing and whats good at the moment that wont break the bank.

I use Zems they work great!
    cost about €20,
    http://www.sensgard.com/
    They can be bought at Gun shops or Ranges around the country or online.

Dvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Nice one Dvs but any idea which one is better suited to the range the 31bd or the 26bd?

• Advertisement

Mr Mole wrote: »
    As for the simple ear plugs, be very careful. They might indicate the decibel protection on the wrapper, but if not properly inserted (and most aren't) you will sustain irreversable damage to your hearing. They can be used as additional protection under the headset

+1

I always wear two sets when shooting. I have the custom moulded rubber ones in the ears and I wear the Peltors over them. If I could get a third set in I would! The more the merrier!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Did ,or has anyone tried those custom molded ear plugs that were at one of the stands at Birr,lat week?Want to know are they any good as 95 euros for some moulded silicone is pretty pricey.Any experiance anyone?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

A fair few ISSF shooters use them Grizzly. Haven't heard much complaining, other than the worry that they could shove wax deeper into your ears, which eventually has to be syringed out. But that's true of most earplugs. Oh, and the cost as well, but meh, new ears are more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Did ,or has anyone tried those custom molded ear plugs that were at one of the stands at Birr,lat week?Want to know are they any good as 95 euros for some moulded silicone is pretty pricey.Any experiance anyone?
    im trying to sort out a guy to do them 50 euro for the standard molded one 150 euro for the one with a noise fliter you can choose the filter level also there is a free hearing test with this one .try n to set it up in john lamberts shortly

I'm using the silicone rubber ones with the filter in them. I've had them for a few years now and find them great. I got them in a shop at the top of Capel Street in Dublin. Went in and got the foam stuff injected in my ear to take a template and the ear plugs came in the post a week later - €110 at the time.

As I said earlier though, I'd still put the Peltors over them when I'm shooting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

Nice one Dvs but any idea which one is better suited to the range the 31bd or the 26bd?

Hello fish slapped,
    The ones I have,
    and the only ones I have seen anyone else here with,
    are the 26Db model, they are cheap enough that you can put a set in the glove box of the car just in case you might need them,
    and put a set in various shooting gear you might have,
    Shotgun gear, Rifle gear, Pistol gear.

The only negative thing I have found with them is,
    they are not suitable for shooting Centrefire on an indoor range,
    The concussion wave is not pleasant.

So at those times the Peltor Tac 7s go on.

Dvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Cheers Dvs good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Thanks for all the info lads I just recieved a pair of Caldwell Sound Right E - 85 Stereo this morning will be using them along with some ear plugs. Picked them up from optics warehouse in the uk for 19 pound sterling they are 60 plus euro over here.

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/caldwell/catalog.asp?product=Es-85-Stereo-Electronic-Hearing-Protection-Normal-Height

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

With any of the ear protection devices ...

Keep going through the boring details until you find the Noise reduction (NR) rating . Surprisingly spending heaps won't automatically mean you have the best defence for your hearing .

Some real high dollar electronic muffs are pretty bad at keeping out noise and some of the 'Tactical' ones are more useful as hearing enhancers than protectors.

Foam earplugs are really good , and worn with a pair of muffs on top are about as good as you can get .

My two cents worth .

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

I got some of that guy when he was at Shanes Castle earlier in the summer. They were delivered in the post two weeks afterwards like they said they would. Used them for clays and the .22 and thought they were great. I like the way I can hear whats going on normally and after a short while you forget they are in your ears.

Mallards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

mallards wrote: »
    I got some of that guy when he was at Shanes Castle earlier in the summer. They were delivered in the post two weeks afterwards like they said they would. Used them for clays and the .22 and thought they were great. I like the way I can hear whats going on normally and after a short while you forget they are in your ears.

Mallards
    i have a guy coming to john lamberts on the 27 sep to do us with molded plugs at 5 pm were getting a good rate on them

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

I got a set of those once for work. To be honest I never found them that good and uncomfortable to boot. I find the cheap disposable type much better.

Just my two cents worth

Advertisement