Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incredible Hosting Bill

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

AARRRGH wrote: »
    You should consider moving to a host like The Planet in the US. They are about half the price of an Irish host, allow a huge amount of traffic (I think I get 4000 gigs a month), provide super support... and unless you have a very ping sensitive website (such as hosting an online game for Irish people) you won't notice any speed differences.

http://www.bytemark.co.uk/page/Live/hosting/virtualmachine/

Bytemark rock, way cheaper, full machine for your usage too ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

The Planet have plenty of their own issues (like 7-10 days downtime in their last power issue, like a completely inability to communicate anything, like CSRs that continually get poor reviews, etc.). With The Planet, you get what you pay for, just don't rely on them!

craichoe, that Bytemark link isn't to "full machines" it's to virtual servers. Blacknight VPS, and Digiweb, compare favourably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

cgarvey wrote: »
    The Planet have plenty of their own issues (like 7-10 days downtime in their last power issue, like a completely inability to communicate anything, like CSRs that continually get poor reviews, etc.). With The Planet, you get what you pay for, just don't rely on them!

craichoe, that Bytemark link isn't to "full machines" it's to virtual servers. Blacknight VPS, and Digiweb, compare favourably.

Well I've been using various hosting companies for about 10 years or so and The Planet have been dramatically superior overall. And their prices, come on, they are extremely low compared to Ireland. :)

And their prices, come on, they are extremely low compared to Ireland. :)

Agreed, and they always have been.

However, since becoming The Planet, the standard of care and network availability has dramatically decreased I, and many others, have found.

Anyway, a move to dedicated servers just for some FTP space & shared hosting is probably not viable. Irish shared hosting compares reasonably well (especially when you factor in the value of support). With you all the way on dedicated servers being vastly cheaper and better provisioned in the US, for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Hey guys, once this is sorted I'll seriously consider moving host as I really don't want to have to go through this again. One of my friends recommended blacknight- do you guys have any opinions on them? I'll keep you posted with regards to how I'm getting on with 365.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

And their prices, come on, they are extremely low compared to Ireland. :)

I used to be off the same opinion. However, over time having suffered speed / ping issues to the servers in the states and the fact that when problems occur you can't physically go down there and get things sorted ASAP I've completely changed my tune.

For a very slight saving over a 12 month period you really do save yourself a world of hassle when things go wrong. For example can you imagine if the OP has to go legal with this for any reason but the host was in the states??? You think his experience is bad now it would be nothing compared to a US host.

I'm STILL 2 years later trying to get a US based host to delete my CC details from their system as even though I cancelled my account years ago they still occasionally bill me with an "automatic upgrade" meaning I've the hassle of having to do a chargeback with the CC company :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

miju wrote: »
    when problems occur you can't physically go down there and get things sorted ASAP I've completely changed my tune.

What % of customers would realistically go to Hosting 365 themselves to sort out their problem?
    For a very slight saving over a 12 month period you really do save yourself a world of hassle when things go wrong.

I have halved my (dedicated server) hosting costs since moving my websites to the US. Also, in my experience, the support provided by the likes of hosting 365 is beyond terrible. My experience with The Planet has been excellent.
    For example can you imagine if the OP has to go legal with this for any reason but the host was in the states???

Absolutely, that is an issue for me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Correct, but i meant full machine as in full install of my own flavour of whatever.Didn't mean Physical Hardware. Been using them since 2001 and no issues whatsoever

Hey guys, just to keep you all posted, Register365 issued a full refund during the week, after I'd exhausted all non-legal routes and was prepared to escalate the matter (ie legal action). I'm currently in the process of moving to Blacknight, their CP does not have the same functionality and I've run into some very weird DNS issues (my domains are still with R365, it really wasn't as simple as pointing the DNS servers elsewhere) but Blacknight support is very responsive. Hopefully no issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

C.D. wrote: »
    Hey guys, just to keep you all posted, H365 issued a full refund during the week, after I'd exhausted all non-legal routes and was prepared to escalate the matter (ie legal action). I'm currently in the process of moving to Blacknight, their CP does not have the same functionality and I've run into some very weird DNS issues (my domains are still with R365, it really wasn't as simple as pointing the DNS servers elsewhere) but Blacknight support is very responsive. Hopefully no issues!
    I have moved some websites from register365 to blacknight no problems. Just lower the TTL on the A records and change the name servers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

great to hear you have the issue sorted CD. was any reason given at all?

also , can take up to 24 hours till all servers point to the new one when you change DNS IIRC

Register365 were very adamant their bandwidth monitor was correct, but were unable to supply me with a breakdown of my usage (what site/FTP etc) or server logs. Apparently they delete them every month. I had actually contacted a solicitor (but only over the phone and had not initiated anything) and was told that if I'm being charged for a service, the onus is on the service provider to prove I used it, as opposed to the onus being on the consumer to prove they didn't use it. As Register365 had no server logs it was a bit of a prickly situation.

Yeah I know it can take 24-72 hours, the issues I was getting were very strange and not related to that! Anyway I think it was something backend on Blacknight's part as as soon as I submitted a ticket it was sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Small random question.. why do people not do it themselves? (the work Hosting 365, The Planet etc does)

Is it even more expensive to do it all yourself? Or even possible?

Save the bother on all these charges.. :S

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Chatmaster wrote: »
    Small random question.. why do people not do it themselves? (the work Hosting 365, The Planet etc does)

Is it even more expensive to do it all yourself? Or even possible?

Save the bother on all these charges.. :S
    Possible yes but most internet lines have a very limited upload speed with noticbly lower download/upload caps and you're not allowed to run a server on most providers. Add in to get an appropiate server with raid set up, back up functions etc. you would need to be quite IT savy (Linux Apache box etc.) and it is simply not worth the hassle compared to the cost savings.

Nody wrote: »
    Possible yes but most internet lines have a very limited upload speed with noticbly lower download/upload caps and you're not allowed to run a server on most providers. Add in to get an appropiate server with raid set up, back up functions etc. you would need to be quite IT savy (Linux Apache box etc.) and it is simply not worth the hassle compared to the cost savings.
    Not to mention the security risks of not knowing what you are doing.

Chatmaster wrote: »
    why do people not do it themselves? (the work Hosting 365, The Planet etc does)

Economies of scale. Especially with bandwidth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Wow - thats some bill.
    I have two sites. One is has .ie address and the other has a .com address. Both are hosted by the same company. They give me 150 gigs a month and only charge me 4 euro a month in TOTAL costs. Their servers are NEVER down. Have blistering speed and an absolute brilliant 24 hour backup service to date.
    They also have a class sitebuilder service built in too.

Pm me if you want to know what company it is.
    Won't say here, might conflict with the rules (will also give you links to my sites to show example of their VERY professional service).

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Nody wrote: »
    axer wrote: »
    Not to mention the security risks of not knowing what you are doing.
    Economies of scale. Especially with bandwidth.

Ahh, well all these points will help me if I ever decide to get my own sites! :P
    Biggins wrote: »
    Wow - thats some bill.
    I have two sites. One is has .ie address and the other has a .com address. Both are hosted by the same company. They give me 150 gigs a month and only charge me 4 euro a month in TOTAL costs. Their servers are NEVER down. Have blistering speed and an absolute brilliant 24 hour backup service to date.
    They also have a class sitebuilder service built in too.

Pm me if you want to know what company it is.
    Won't say here, might conflict with the rules (will also give you links to my sites to show example of their VERY professional service).

I'm sure you can name it.. there are a few named here.. :)

P.s. FastHosts.co.uk ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Just for the record, Hosting365 does not provide web hosting (nor has done since May 2008) - You are dealing with Register365.com in this thread (owned by www.names.co.uk) and it has nothing to do with Hosting365 in any way,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Just for the record, Hosting365 does not provide web hosting (nor has done since May 2008) - You are dealing with Register365.com in this thread (owned by www.names.co.uk) and it has nothing to do with Hosting365 in any way,

Anyone else able to confirm that this is the case? Might have to go back and change the names used in the thread if that is real situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Anyone else able to confirm that this is the case? Might have to go back and change the names used in the thread if that is real situation.
    Yes, he speako the truth.

Advertisement