Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Week Uno.

• 30-08-2008 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭

Best league in the world has started up again today ;);

Spanish La Liga - Week 1
    Saturday, August 30th
    Espanyol - Valladolid
    Valencia - Mallorca

Sunday, August 31st
    Athletic - Almería
    Atlético - Málaga
    Betis - Recreativo
    Sporting - Getafe
    Racing - Sevilla
    Numancia - Barcelona
    Osasuna - Villarreal
    Deportivo - Real Madrid

Buena suerte amigos!

With Spain triumphing at Euro 2008, and producing some of the most impressive players in the world at the moment will only make this year better. Peoples opinions on who'll win? Real Madrid are overwhelming favourites, do any of the outsiders have a chance? Atletico, Sevilla, Valencia, and Villareal?

IT'S FINALLY BACK!

Sky are showing Valencia against Mallorca at the Mestalla. It'll be interesting to see how Mallorce do without Guiza, Ibagaza and to a lesser extrent Jonas. It'll also be good to see how Emery handles managing one of the biggest teams in Spain. Will Villa and Silvas choice to stay at the Mestalla pay off...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

FT Espanyol 1 - 0 Valladolid
    FT Valencia 3 - 0 Mallorca

Valencia looked good, mata played very well and scored.

Disappointed with Mallorca tho didnt strenthen much close season and looked it.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

The Valencia match was far better than any of the 6 or so premiership snorefests Ive watched so far this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

bohsman wrote: »
    The Valencia match was far better than any of the 6 or so premiership snorefests Ive watched so far this season.

Lets not incur the wrath of 98% of the board my friend. =P

I agree though. Even though Valencia won 3-0, I was still impressed with the quality of some of Mallorcas attacking moves, especially without Jonas, Ibagaza (their best player last season) and Guiza (Pichici). Villa and Mata both looked excellent today, Villa first touch was excellent, and so were his darting runs.

Real Madrid have to go to Deportivo tomorrow, and they haven't beaten the Galician outfit at the Riazor in 17 years. However, Madrids team this year looks phenomenal, and with Deportivo losing Colochini, they might lose that record in spectacular fashion.

Barca are away to Numencia, and even though we haven't had a good record there in recent years, we should be looking to get a good start to the season, so I'm hoping for a solid 3-0 win. I hope Keita and Toure start in midfield, that'll give us the necessary grunt for tough away games.

P.S - F*ck Juventus, I'm sick of our promising youth players leaving us to join other teams where they'll still won't make the first team. Falque you d*ck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

For me, only Villareal can be the 'outsider'. A good start for them and who knows? It was a bad Real side won La Liga last time. Villareals form in the second half of the season was championship form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

bohsman wrote: »

Of course it was.
    The style of football played in Spain is far easier on the eye.
    They try to keep the ball on the carpet .
    When the lesser teams play the bigger teams they still try to play attacking football when given the chance,unlike so many of the weaker teams in England that try to put 10 men behind the ball for 90 mins.
    The atmosphere at the big grounds in Spain is better too,the English grounds used to be buzzing but alot of them seem flat nowadays.
    Will be heading over to the Nou Camp for a match later in the season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Can't wait to see both Barca and Real in action later on tonight.

Love the La Liga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

SantryRed wrote: »
    Can't wait to see both Barca and Real in action later on tonight.

Love the La Liga.
    Yup roll on the spanish footie, Barca for me all the way come on Pep!!!

Mr. X wrote: »
    Yup roll on the spanish footie, Barca for me all the way come on Pep!!!

Are Barca your first team? If so, thats great news, I thought I was the only one!

Lads, lets start a La Liga fraternity on boards, we can be those bitter foreigners that can't embrace the British climate, and refuse to enjoy their food. We shun all of these things, and instead we embrace siesta's, and paella! :pac:

Forca barca y viva la liga... Hahaha.

Good stuff, seems to be plenty of Barca fans around here at least, definitely my 2nd team, try to get to a game whenever Im over there and should get to watch a lot more games this season with the dodgybox working properly aswell.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Are Barca your first team? If so, thats great news, I thought I was the only one!

Lads, lets start a La Liga fraternity on boards, we can be those bitter foreigners that can't embrace the British climate, and refuse to enjoy their food. We shun all of these things, and instead we embrace siesta's, and paella! :pac:

Forca barca y viva la liga... Hahaha.
    Their mine team in Spain, Man U in England, Ajax in Holland and Barca in Spain for my love Johan Cruyff since I was a kid.

• Advertisement

Jesus Christ, after watching Chelsea draw 1-1 and Liverpool's 0-0, I want to gouge my f*cking eyes out. Thank god La Liga is on in 5 minutes. Even if it's 0-0, at least it won't be hoofing vs hoofing.

Already a shot on target:D

Hahaha, Abidal still looks woeful. Jesus like, why but Cacares if you're never going to play him infront of the incompetent Abidal. Some nice passing moves from both sides there.

Gerry Armstrong though Messi scored the winner in the olympic final, bless his heart! =P

Whats the story with these matches? Sky show it delayed live?

1-0 Numancia! Excellent EXCELLENT strike. I'm not worried yet though, we have been doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

13' Numancia 1 - 0 Barcelona

We are starting to batter their goal now. Should be a good game, both sides attacking. Nice to see. La Liga's back baby! :D

I noticed you are big fan of barca,is that the only club you are supporting?

Yes of course. A Cule till I die.

I feel you can only truly support one club anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

On a side note where is the main presenter Rob Bolton gone ?
    I liked him as a presenter .
    I hope he hasnt been dropped in favour of that guy who does the Football League,he is brutal.
    Why do Sky have to change a winning formula just for change sake ?

• Advertisement

Theres a goal coming, Barca finally looking dangerous.

I dunno, this is looking very very like Rijkaard part 2 to be honest. Very disappointing.

It's just been one of those nights. BUT, will it be one of those seasons.... Clinically depressed... :pac::pac:

This is so poor :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

I dunno, Alves is underrated defensively because he is so good going forward. The goal was definitely Abidals fault, he wasn't involved in the attacking play that broke down, yet he was nowhere near his marker. Tosser. It was a good game to watch, but when you have 30 shots on goal, you expect one to go in!

:(

That was hard to watch as the game went on. Taking up where they left off last year by being sub standard away from home. Barca started off quite well but the goal rattled them and they looked less likely to score after the goal. May i add that it was an excellent strike. The amount of over hit crosses was shockin. I hope this doesnt set the tone for the season. That said, Messi's excellent free kick at the end goes in and its a different story.

But opening day defeat to a newly promoted side isnt title winning stuff.

Deportivo 2-1 Real Madrid.

15 minutes left.

Both Depors goals from corners.

Great game, Madrid are so jinxed at the Riazor...

Atletico smashed home 4 goals in their win, Villareal and Sevilla both drew. So it's early days yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

just caught the second half of the madrid match, very poor stuff. didnt control the game at all. pretty over-run in the midfield. good reactions from rvn for his goal, looked very sharp.

I thought it was a good game though, end to end stuff, I'm just delighted those **************** lost... ;)

I thought it was a good game though, end to end stuff, I'm just delighted those **************** lost... ;)

agreed. you see any of the barca game at all? just saw the clip of numancia's goal. alves and toure with bad control giving them possesion it looked like. good finish though

Ya, Alves settled down though, and looked good. It was Abidals fault for the goal, and alot of the breaking up of play. He looks NOTHING like he did at Lyon. I think Lyon were laughing all the way to the bank when they got rid of Malouda and that other crock of sh*t. He even looked good for the first 6 months at Barca.

We had about 30 shots on Numancia's goal, with about 6/7 very good opportunities to score, Henry looked our brightest attacker to be honest. We hit the post twice iswell. So it was disappointing, but again as Limp Bizkit say, 'it's just one of those days'.

The round results;

Espanyol 1 - Valladolid 0
    Valencia 3 - Mallorca 0
    Atletico 4- Malaga 0
    Numancia 1 - Barca 0
    Osasuna 1 - Villarreal 1
    Betis 0 - Recreativo 1
    Bilbao 1 - Almeria 3
    Sporting 1 - Getafe 2
    Racing 1 - Seville 1
    Depor 2 - Real Madrid 1

something to take from the game then. hopefully get that rub of the green against racing. maybethe robinho situation will have a bit of a berbatov effect at real, get a bit of a headstart on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

A breath of fresh air were those 2 games yesterday evening in comparison to the tripe with preceded them from The Premiership.

It really did look like nada has changed with Barca, but its day one. The league is neither won nor lost on day one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

it was disappointing, but again as Limp Bizkit say, 'it's just one of those days'.
    You hope... lot of those days last year. And I'm not sure the playing staff has changed as much as Guardiola would have liked, especially given the fact that Ronaldinho was very much on the periphery last year already so it's more his off-the-pich attitude that's been shipped out rather than his sub-par performances on it.

Having said that, I think it could take time to really gel the team the way Guardiola wants to so no need for doomsday predictions just yet :)

i know its early but so far it looks like Atletico Madrid will rock this year

Advertisement