Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reply to a reply, not the thread

Options
  • 30-08-2008 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hello

This would be useful for the likes of the personal issues forum.

Sometimes you want to say something which is not a part of the main thread, but also not really suitable for a PM.

For example, I am debating something with someone and I want to say "Let's take this to the humanities forum".

I don't want to reply in the main thread as it's kind of an off topic post, but I'd also like to publically announce my comment.

So it's sort of a reply to a reply, rather than a reply to the thread.

Does that make any sense?

It could appear like a tag at the bottom of the post, kind of like the way the thanks message appears.

What do you reckon?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'm a little confused.. you dont want to reply to the OP of the thread, but instead, a particular poster - not privately, but something that the public can see..

That's where the quote feature comes in..

Either in Quick Reply - clicking "Quote message in reply?" box - (quickreply.gif) or directly quoting the post (quote.gif).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If you multiquote multiquote_off.gif the post concerned, and then start a new thread somewhere, there is an option to include the quoted post in your new thread (with a valid link back to the original).

Then just post a link to the new thread in the original one.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement