Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Touring bike..... thoughts

Options
  • 30-08-2008 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭

I want to build myself a nice comfortable but still light enough bike for going on a few leisurely tours over a few days at at time.

What are peoples thoughts on what makes the best tour bike?

At the moment I'm leaning towards a road frame, a 105 group set ( derailleurs / cassette / chainset) hopefully matching this colour if I can get them. I don't want drops and decided on comfort, probably a set of light enough riser bars which leads me to controls. Was having a look at these break / gear levers.

Basically it's a hybrid, road frame / group set with riser bars for comfort and mtb controls and 700c wheels. Will probably finish it off with a nice brooks saddle and a bit of grip and bar end bling.

I'll be using it for trips around different parts of the country. Anything from all day cycles to week long trips with stop overs each night.

Any of you experienced heads got any advice. I'd like to stick with the frame and 700c wheels if possible. Also, at 5 11" what size in the principla frames would best suit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You would be a lot better off with drops for touring. If you want comfort go for a more relaxed position through the frame and stem. Drops give you a lot more flexibility as to hand positions which is important if you are doing long distances. You will appreciate them on your first headwind. If you think you will be looking to use the flats a lot get cross brake levers.

Have you toured before? Your plans at the moment seem just a little eccentric if you don't mind me saying, for the money you are looking at there you could get something quite nice, if you want quick and light I think I might be looking at audax frames or bikes. I have a Van Nicholas Amazon for touring but they have cheaper models (I wanted clearance for wide tyres) that take calipers, it is a lovely bike, would certainly recommend titanium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Echo blorg, I wouldn't get a touring bike with flat handlebars. There are other options to drops, moustache or butterfly bars for example. Really what you are looking for is something that gives flexibility with hand positions.

As for frames, it's really up to you. Depending on what kind of touring you want to do, you need to get something that ideally has braze ons for rear racks (this is optional but I wouldn't tour with a rucksack on my back). A frame that takes three water bottles would be nice too. For me, I would look at the Surly Long Haul Trucker - braze-ons for all of the above and a front rack and it even has braze-ons for carrying spare spokes. When built up with 700c wheels, it is by all accounts fast but sturdy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i don't much about touring but i would point out that that principia frame has neither mudguard eyelets nor rack mounts. it probably has fairly racy geometry and tight clearances too so you would be pretty limited tyrewise. in short, it's not a touring frame. at all.

i'd be looking at something like a salsa caseroll if i were you. solid. steel. could be set up as a single speed or fixie at some later date should you be into that sorta thing. (you should).

dem wheels have feck all spokes for loaded touring. just saying...

i share blorg's scepticism about the supposed comfort of flat bars. hand positions. it's all about multiple hand positions. drops are good mkay? but if you don't like 'em how about mungos? or midges bars? vey hip you know. brooks tape?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

As penexpers says you should not even be remotely considering something that would not take a rear rack! Also bear in mind that "racer" frames even if they do take a rear rack (and some, particularly entry level, do) may not handle great when loaded up with panniers. Again it does depend on how much you will be carrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭jefferson73

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Thanks lads. I knew that frame would get shot to pieces, just needed someone to do it for me. I've wanted it a while and was desperately trying to justify getting it.

Perhaps touring is the wrong word, I was thinking more of trips up to drogheda or down to wexford / killkenny ect. Staying over with friends and heading back the next day. No need for front racks or anything heavy duty.

I know you lot are drops mad on here but I do love the feel of riser bars when cycling. I wasn't considering flats at all. I realise I'll be caught out in a bit of wind with risers but was willing to take a few hits for the upright riding position. Perhaps some drops set in a high position?

Again about the wheels, I wont be bringing the kitchen sink with me, just a change of clothes and a few quid in my pocket. I realise they're lacking in spoke strength. Poor choice regardless. Can you recommend a cheap set, although now that I've put aside that sexy principla frame I suppose I can afford to spend a bit more on wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

this frame could take a rear rack and touring tyre - the bare minimum for anything that could be called a touring bike (which is actually what you're looking for right?). put a carbon fork on it and it would still be reasonably light - it's not a dedicated tourer though so handling etc. when loaded might not be brilliant, but if you're travelling light it'd be fine i'd guess. i'd still be tempted to go for steel though, for comfort and general resilience.

bars are up to you. if you leave the fork with plenty of steerer tube you could achieve a fairly upright position with drops, and the are some wide touring drops out there if you're more comfortable with your hands wider set. if you like risers, use risers. it's a windy country though... :p

for touring i'd get wheels made by a decent wheel builder. 32 spokes (36 if you're big or carrying a lot), mavic rims on ultegra hubs. they'd be solid, reliable and roll well.

Advertisement