Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I Appeal, 1% away from an A

Options
  • 30-08-2008 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

I got 84% in History, 1% away from an A2. Should I appeal? I dont need more points but I worked more for History than any other subject and was aiming for an A. Should I appeal? Im I likely to go up to an A2.

Teachers' opinion welcome in particular. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

If you got your course then I wouldn't bother my arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Appeal imho. You've worked for around two years for the exam and if you think you've been marked unfairly then go for the appeal. It would be a nice thing to have, an A in LC History. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

K4t wrote: »
    Appeal imho. You've worked for around two years for the exam and if you think you've been marked unfairly then go for the appeal. It would be a nice thing to have, an A in LC History. :)

is an A2 really an A? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

pathway33 wrote: »

yes, it says so right before the 2

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Yes..

Appeal if you feel you deserved it and the marking wasn't applied appropriately. While it may be insignificant in the greater scheme of things, bad marking shouldn't happen, and you deserve a fair result based on the work you've done

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:
    jhegarty wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

well its not a B

OP i would if its important to you i mean they cant drop you THAT far down in a recheck they usually go up i believe

jhegarty wrote: »

i suppose the 2 means 'looks like you're not as perfect as you thought' :D

btw definiitely appeal.....it will nag you till your deathbed

well its not a B

OP i would if its important to you i mean they cant drop you THAT far down in a recheck they usually go up i believe

if its not really an A and not a B then it must be nothing :confused:

like finishing 4th in the olympics

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

If it really bothers you then appeal, once you get your course though, how you got on in the LC becomes irrelevent. Ye won't loose marks anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,500 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

if its not really an A and not a B then it must be nothing :confused:

like finishing 4th in the olympics

It's the Leaving Cert. It's like finish 4th in the special olympics.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Teachers' opinion welcome in particular. Thanks.

This teacher says unless it makes a difference for your course leave it be. Thank your lucky stars you got an A2, there are plenty kids in the country who try their absolute best and get a D3 in Ordinary Level and are thrilled with it.

YOU know you did enough work for/deserved/should have got an A1. Part of being an adult is knowing these things and not needing a big sticker or badge to say so.

In a few years, nobody will care what you got in your Leaving. It doesn't mean a lot really, in the overall scale of things.

spurious wrote: »
    This teacher says unless it makes a difference for your course leave it be. Thank your lucky stars you got an A2, there are plenty kids in the country who try their absolute best and get a D3 in Ordinary Level and are thrilled with it.

YOU know you did enough work for/deserved/should have got an A1. Part of being an adult is knowing these things and not needing a big sticker or badge to say so.

In a few years, nobody will care what you got in your Leaving. It doesn't mean a lot really, in the overall scale of things.

doesn't matter if the whole world doesn't care, if OP cares then defintely appeal......part of being an adult is listening to your own heart and mind and not being influenced by the posse.

p.s please read the OP properly :D

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    It's the Leaving Cert. It's like finish 4th in the special olympics.
    :D Although if you fail the LC, you're not really a 'winner' are you?

p.s. I can't believe this has turned into a debate/argument. :eek:

:D Although if you fail the LC, you're not really a 'winner' are you?

p.s. I can't believe this has turned into a debate/argument. :eek:

yeah it was a simple enough question ..... say it might get pretty nasty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Go for it, if they realise that you are 1% away from an A2 then they might search for that extra couple of marks, the people who mark the papers arent going to disturb their quotas by bringing you down(they do have quotas, people say they dont but they do!)
    It will only matter to you in the end, but if you worked hard and feel you are justified the A2 then just do it. You wouldnt do down enough to lose your points if you are just 1% away from an A2!!

Thank your lucky stars you got an A2, there are plenty kids in the country who try their absolute best and get a D3 in Ordinary Level and are thrilled with it.

That's totally irrelevant.. Some people are delighted with a D3 because they feel that their work has paid off, they got what they deserve, and fair play to them.. For many, it's a great achievement.. However, others could be very disappointed with a B1 or A2, as they felt that they have not got what they deserve and that their work hasn't been sufficiently rewarded... So if you felt you deserved a higher grade, then you shouldn't "thank your lucky stars"

KatCookie wrote: »
    Go for it, if they realise that you are 1% away from an A2 then they might search for that extra couple of marks, the people who mark the papers arent going to disturb their quotas by bringing you down(they do have quotas, people say they dont but they do!)
    It will only matter to you in the end, but if you worked hard and feel you are justified the A2 then just do it. You wouldnt do down enough to lose your points if you are just 1% away from an A2!!

if no quotas are going to be disturbed then nobody would ever be moved up or down on appeal......money making racket :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are no quotas.

money making racket :confused:

:D lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You got your course. Why bother?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Your leaving certificate results are important for 5 days. From the wednesday that they come out to the monday that the cao comes out.

After that nobody cares what you got.

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Your leaving certificate results are important for 5 days. From the wednesday that they come out to the monday that the cao comes out.

After that nobody cares what you got.
    Here at Boards.ie, we care. :)

:pac:

There are no quotas.

so its just coincidence that completely different students in completely different years answering completely different questions get very close to the same grades ...... yeah theres no quotas :rolleyes: :D

so its just coincidence that completely different students in completely different years answering completely different questions get very close to the same grades ...... yeah theres no quotas :rolleyes: :D
    Complete and absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

if no quotas are going to be disturbed then nobody would ever be moved up or down on appeal......money making racket :confused:
    Well, it made sense when my teacher said it in class.My teacher is ancient and goes to that conference thingy every year
    There are no quotas.

i dont want to get into an argument, but when the Chief Examiners report comes out every year and they document the grades and percentages of people who sat that exam, and they compare it to the last few years, why is it that the results are always so similar? Ive seen a few examiners reports from www.Examinations.ie It seems too conincidental to have the results all the same...
    and i do realise that they look at a sample of all the papers and then change the marking scheme, Its not just thought up, written down and set it stone for that year

Complete and absolute rubbish.

if you're disagreeing with me check out the percentages getting each points bracket every year on www.cao.ie

if you're agreeing with me i love you :D

if you're disagreeing with me check out the percentages getting each points bracket every year on www.cao.ie

That is NOT the same as having quotas.
    I will leave it to someone who understands the whole area of statistics to explain.

There are no quotas.

KatCookie wrote: »
    Well, it made sense when my teacher said it in class.My teacher is ancient and goes to that conference thingy every year

i dont want to get into an argument, but when the Chief Examiners report comes out every year and they document the grades and percentages of people who sat that exam, and they compare it to the last few years, why is it that the results are always so similar? Ive seen a few examiners reports from www.Examinations.ie It seems too conincidental to have the results all the same...

you're already in an argument :D and the only way out is reverse gear ;)

• Advertisement

That is NOT the same as having quotas.
    I will leave it to someone who understands the whole area of statistics to explain.

There are no quotas.

no....i want you to explain statistics......i want a 4 page essay here in the morning :D

yeah the law of averages and the numbers involved 50,000+ says they will be roughly the same percentages but when you look at individual subjects like this years accounting which a lot of people found rock hard - will the percentage of grades be the same as previous years? i'd say so

Advertisement