Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I Appeal, 1% away from an A

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Signature

I got 84% in History, 1% away from an A2. Should I appeal? I dont need more points but I worked more for History than any other subject and was aiming for an A. Should I appeal? Im I likely to go up to an A2.

Teachers' opinion welcome in particular. Thanks.

There's a chance of your marks going down. But if your points are safe above the level needed for your subject than I would say why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,941 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I had two different markings in my history script. One was in red pen and the other in green pen...does this mean that mine was picked outta the bag first and then checked again...Coz thank God for that second check, your wan with the red pen was taking marks off me left right and centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

pathway33 wrote: »
    you're already in an argument :D and the only way out is reverse gear ;)
    There wasnt an argument here when i started writing the post..
    and i have no reverse gear.. just plough through or go throught every post and knock it down til it doesnt have a leg to stand on!!
    there are quotas in the sense that if there are too few A's they will need to go through the B Papers to bring up the amount of A's and the opposite too..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

mars bar wrote: »
    I had two different markings in my history script. One was in red pen and the other in green pen...does this mean that mine was picked outta the bag first and then checked again...Coz thank God for that second check, your wan with the red pen was taking marks off me left right and centre!
    Red pen is the assistant examiner (the people who do most of the marking). Green pen is the advising examiner (the more experienced people who monitor the assistants and make sure they are on standard).

A script marked in green pen as well as red is therefore more likely to have been marked accurately, as it has been monitored by the advising examiner. it is therefore less likely to change on appeal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The red pen is the original corrector, the green is their advising examiner (usually someone who has corrected for years at many levels).

Your script could have been sent to the AE as part of the random sample of 20, or in a selection from one of the groups of 100s, or the original corrector may have wanted guidance on how he/she was correcting. Either way, it sounds like it worked out well for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

mars bar wrote: »

if thats the case then surely all your history classmates should view their scripts and if theres no green ink then appeal like crazy

sounds like you were pulled out of the bag unless it was the one marker and red just made them real angry and green made them normal :D

KatCookie wrote: »
    There wasnt an argument here when i started writing the post..
    and i have no reverse gear.. just plough through or go throught every post and knock it down til it doesnt have a leg to stand on!!
    there are quotas in the sense that if there are too few A's they will need to go through the B Papers to bring up the amount of A's and the opposite too..

sounds like you're sitting on the fence.....in my book that's reverse gear.......you lose.....go to bed and remember your defeat in the morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Your leaving certificate results are important for 5 days. From the wednesday that they come out to the monday that the cao comes out.

After that nobody cares what you got.

I thought this would be the case too I have to say and when I started to apply for jobs after college I had removed the leaving cert results from my CV at the time. I ended up putting them back on after a few queries about it. I was suprised at the level of interest but I suppose its a benchmark state exam /shrug

sounds like you're sitting on the fence.....in my book that's reverse gear.......you lose.....go to bed and remember your defeat in the morning :D
    No, its not its what i meant when i said quotas, and its only a slight difference in my opinion!
    and yes, i am on the fence as i havent had a script sent back, but in this case i would tell the OP to get it rechecked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I got my course, yet I'm still getting two, maybe three rechecked.

Why? Because I'm still unhappy with my overall LC results. As far as I'm concerned, I set myself a target at the start of the year of certain grades in certain subjects and for the majority of them I failed to reach that target. That why I'm rechecking them, because I still feel I should have done better.

The fact that I already received my first choice has absolutely **** all to do with that.

• Advertisement

No, its not its what i meant when i said quotas, and its only a slight difference in my opinion!
    and yes, i am on the fence as i havent had a script sent back, but in this case i would tell the OP to get it rechecked!!

oooouuuukkkkaaayyy......crystal clear :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

deise59 wrote: »
    I got my course, yet I'm still getting two, maybe three rechecked.

Why? Because I'm still unhappy with my overall LC results. As far as I'm concerned, I set myself a target at the start of the year of certain grades in certain subjects and for the majority of them I failed to reach that target. That why I'm rechecking them, because I still feel I should have done better.

The fact that I already received my first choice has absolutely **** all to do with that.
    To me that means you have to work harder next time.

oooouuuukkkkaaayyy......crystal clear
    Ah stop that!
    i know what your up to!
    :)

Ah stop that!
    i know what your up to!
    :)

see you make less mistakes with simple sentences :D

see you make less mistakes with simple sentences :D
    Stop.Going.Off. Topic

Short enough for you?

Stop.Going.Off. Topic

Short enough for you?

yes short and sweet.

i don't think a lesson in pwoper english can be considered off topic :D

maybe if OP had used shorter to the point sentences they might have got an A1....Very on topic i'd say :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

if you care enough to post here then do it. history is a bitch of an exam anyway plus even if they do mark you down its not going to be enough to drop your grade. All you may loose is your recheck fee. DOOO ITTT!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,500 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Out of curiosity, how much does a recheck cost?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

I got 84% in History, 1% away from an A2. Should I appeal? I dont need more points but I worked more for History than any other subject and was aiming for an A. Should I appeal? Im I likely to go up to an A2.

Teachers' opinion welcome in particular. Thanks.

Might as well go for it. You won't lose the B1 (or at least it'd be very surprising if you did).

On the other hand, you don't need it and by the time you get the result back, you won't care about it anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how much does a recheck cost?

I think it's about €37.50 per subject (refunded if you get awarded a higher grade) but I may be wrong about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

jmccrohan wrote: »
    To me that means you have to work harder next time.

Next time?

I already said I got my first choice :confused:

Back on topic, if you really feel you can get bumped up a grade, then by all means go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Wow 51 replys in one day! Thanks for the comments. :)

First off, I got my first choice and am happy with the ammount of points I got in the LC as a whole. I am not happy with a B1 in history however as I was aiming for an A all through 5th and 6th year. History was/is my favourite subject (got an A in it in the JC :p) and I put a huge amount of work into it. I wasnt expecting an A1, but I dont think a B1 was a fair result .

I know I wont go down a grade, but I dont want to lose the €37 if it remains the same.

A lot of people are saving the LC results dont matter once you get your course, which is a fair point, but my History grade matters to me.

I remember hearing on the radio that if you were 1% or 2% out from a higher grade, then dont appeal because the corrector would have already tried to find you those extra couple of marks...

my History grade matters to me.

therein lies your answer.....appeal.....even if you don't get upgraded the peace of mind will be worth €37 i reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 cellardoor36

if you've got your course and there's no risk involved, then defo go for it

the 'not knowing' about history will haunt you forever while on the plus side it will only take a few years to get over losing €37

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

the 'not knowing' about history will haunt you forever while on the plus side it will only take a few years to get over losing €37

:pac: good point! Think I'll appeal it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Definately. I got a B1 in chemistry myself I was really expecting to do better. My boss wouldn't give me the day off when the papers were out for inspection. I regret not pulling a sickie that day even just to see how I was amrked down.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Wow 51 replys in one day! Thanks for the comments. :)

First off, I got my first choice and am happy with the ammount of points I got in the LC as a whole. I am not happy with a B1 in history however as I was aiming for an A all through 5th and 6th year. History was/is my favourite subject (got an A in it in the JC :p) and I put a huge amount of work into it. I wasnt expecting an A1, but I dont think a B1 was a fair result .

I know I wont go down a grade, but I dont want to lose the €37 if it remains the same.

A lot of people are saving the LC results dont matter once you get your course, which is a fair point, but my History grade matters to me.

I remember hearing on the radio that if you were 1% or 2% out from a higher grade, then dont appeal because the corrector would have already tried to find you those extra couple of marks...

Forgetting the whole 'grade' aspect of the exam for the moment, because at the end of the day it's only a letter written on the front of your script to show what band of results yours falls into for points purposes.... will it really make you happier to see 85% on the front of your script instead of 84%, because that's what it really comes down to and there really isn't much difference between the two.

Most posts from people I've seen over the last few days talking about rechecks usually mention something along the lines of 'I feel I deserved more/I got As all year, etc etc' Now while that may be true, maybe what you wrote (and this is for all students considering rechecks not just the OP) only deserved 84 and therefore gets marked as a B1. Because students who are at the bottom end of a grade eg 80%, know it's highly unlikely they will be brought up 5% to get into the next band, but why should the grades that are 1% away not be accurate at all just because they are 1% away from the next grade? Someone has to score 84% by the law of averages

i do realise that mistakes can be made with scripts... in correcting such a large volume of papers in a short time mistakes can happen and correctors are human but I would ask the following questions before sending back the script for recorrection
    • Are the marks added up correctly?
    • Was there any part of my script not corrected at all?
    • Was there any part of any answer I gave correct according to the marking scheme but not awarded any marks?
    If the marks are totalled incorrectly or the answer is yes to either of the other two questions, then yes maybe there are grounds for an appeal... which of course could be of benefit if you are borderline for a higher grade. If the answer is no and you are just chancing your arm for a grade you probably won't be upgraded... examiners just won't look at a paper and go 'oh, they're really close to an A, sure we'll bring them up'

I viewed scripts with three students on saturday and I had the advantage of having corrected the subject this summer. All were considering appealing their grades in the subject... all B1s by the way... two students did not in my opinion have any grounds for appeal, the third had a few things in her script that would merit marks according to the scheme, and marks were not awarded and does have grounds for an appeal, these she was able to pick out herself without my help and had done so before I checked over the paper to confirm it.

So again, ask yourself do your answers merit more marks according to the scheme before appealing just for the sake of it. If they do, good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Ventura

I was in a similar position this time last year. I was less than 1% off an A1 in history and decided to appeal. I wasn't upgraded in the end. My situation differed slightly as i was 5 points off my course, so my motivation was different in that respect. I got upgraded in another subject[thank god]and got my course in the end. I appealed 4 subjects in total, all of which were boarder line like history, of which only 1 was upgraded. Bear in mind your unlikely to be upgraded based on sympathy. Best of luck though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭annie19

i am in the same position for Higher level business. all i need is 2 marks for an A2. i deserve it man

Advertisement