Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

team pezula

Options
  • 30-08-2008 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

is there any truth in the rumour that pezula cease to exist after the t o i?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

yes this was announced a few months back as sponsors can't afford to keep the team going

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

It's true and you might have noticed a lot of the Pezula team making breaks on the TOI, I'm guessing to get noticed / make a name in the hope of getting a contract for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

At yesterday's stage podium interview, O'Loughlin said ' on sunday I am out of a job'.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

My understanding that there is another sponsor already there. Pezula have been told they can wear their existing kit until he end of season. Odd I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

shapez wrote: »
    My understanding that there is another sponsor already there. Pezula have been told they can wear their existing kit until he end of season. Odd I know.

i think that sponsor who whises to remain anonymous stepped in about a month or 2 ago to cover the cost of the tour of ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

The other sponsor, who I have been asked not to name was just to keep the team going through the end of the TOI, in order to give the lads a chance to get some exposure and hopefully a new contract.

If we had any sense over here, O'Loughlin would be paid full time to move to Newport or Manchester and start training for London 2012. He would have been very close to the medals if he had matched his PB in Beijing, not bad for a lad who had only gotten on the Track bike for the first time about 18 months earlier. Power is 32 this month, but he is still a class rider. Perhaps the An Post team would be interested in adding a bit of experience to the roster, right now they have a few Belgian and UK riders to act as mentors for the young irish, wouldn't it be great to have an Irishman doing that ? He has pretty good experience better than most if not all of the An Post team and he certainley would be a stronger rider than any of them - Giro, Olympics, Twice Ras winner, Lots of race wins and an awful lot of top 10's - 2 in the Giro in 2000 for example. Anyway, we shall see what happens. The rest... well I expect the likes of Irvine, Burke etc... to be back in the Irish domestic scene again, perhaps with a sponsor type arrangement such as the ones that Myhome and Eurobaby have with some of their riders (Bike, Kit and maybe some expenses).

Its a tough time to be in a team thats folding, theres not a lot out there right now. I hope it works out for the folks in question, they are a good bunch of lads. Can't have been easy to motivate themselves this week. Ireland needs more pro teams, not less !

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Just goes to show what a tough game it is. They were an incredibly strong team and can't even get a new sponsor.

Advertisement