Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What oil do you use ?

Options
  • 30-08-2008 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi can anyone tell me the recommended oil to use for a 2005 Passat . The oil level warning light came on today and when I checked the level it was a bit low . Im an absolute dime bar when it comes to cars so your help would be most helpful. I'm not going to a VW garage as I know they will charge me a small fortune for something which is probably very straight forward . Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

It should be printed in the owners manual. If not, your local Motor Factors will know. If you know absolutely zero about cars ask them to show you where to pour it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

try Champion oil, its about 6.99 for a litre of semi synthetic, or 10.99 fully synthetic (if you really love your car)

Its a cheaper option oil to the castrols and the other big brands, and its fully approved and accredited by VW, Merc, and BMW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Hi can anyone tell me the recommended oil to use for a 2005 Passat . The oil level warning light came on today and when I checked the level it was a bit low . Im an absolute dime bar when it comes to cars so your help would be most helpful. I'm not going to a VW garage as I know they will charge me a small fortune for something which is probably very straight forward . Cheers in advance.

not the answer you are looking for i know but i had a motto for my drivers back in the days when i ran a small haulage business

"A wrong oil is much better than NO oil"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

snowman707 wrote: »
    not the answer you are looking for i know but i had a motto for my drivers back in the days when i ran a small haulage business

"A wrong oil is much better than NO oil"

not true nowadays... op, what fuel type & engine type is the car???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Robin,

Consult your handbook, there will be a code something like 505.14 or such. Make sure you get an oil (most factors will know anyway) that matches the spec in the handbook.

VW are sensitive about their oils... officially its down to the extended service intervals. Personally (owning one) I think its more to do with their engines preferring to drink premium plonk rather than the regular stuff that everyone else gets along with... and they do drink it...

My next one will be a Peugeot... smoother, cheaper, more comfortable, reliable, sensible dealer prices, etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

i dont know wat oil is for your car but one word of advise dont start the car again till u get oil into it as u risk doing damage to your big end bearings and engine etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Hi Robin,

your questions is What oil do you use ?
    The ansswer is - The best i can afford - as cheap oil is a false economy.

Rule of thumb - use only the grade set out in the owners manual and buy that grade from a good brand (castrol etc)
    Then, if you're not sure where to put it - get a mate or someone to top up your engine properly.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Robin

check the back of the oil bottle your buying, a lot of them are accredited by the various manufactorers.

You'll see letters like MB (Mercedes Benz) VW Volkswagon etc. Your a safe bet to use an oil with these letters on the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Hammertime wrote: »
    Robin

check the back of the oil bottle your buying, a lot of them are accredited by the various manufactorers.

You'll see letters like MB (Mercedes Benz) VW Volkswagon etc. Your a safe bet to use an oil with these letters on the bottle.

You really need to know the recommended spec for your particular engine and stick with that. Manufacturers will have different specs for different engines so just because one particular oil meets a VW spec does not mean it is suitable for every VW engine.

Edit, its up to you to know this if you shop in a factor. Don’t expect a guy selling parts to be an expert and be aware that the info he has is not always up to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

+1 on all of Mr.Diagnostics post.

.....a lot of lads who work on trade counters in Factors are complete donuts - like i had a guy recently push accross the counter to me front brake pads for my BM when they should have been rears.....don't trust em'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 robin banks

Fishtits wrote: »
    Robin,

Consult your handbook, there will be a code something like 505.14 or such. Make sure you get an oil (most factors will know anyway) that matches the spec in the handbook.

VW are sensitive about their oils... officially its down to the extended service intervals. Personally (owning one) I think its more to do with their engines preferring to drink premium plonk rather than the regular stuff that everyone else gets along with... and they do drink it...

My next one will be a Peugeot... smoother, cheaper, more comfortable, reliable, sensible dealer prices, etc etc.
    Thanks for all the advice . I managed to decode the info in the owners handbook about what type of oil to use . Got my arse down to halfords and got the correct oil, no more lights on in the dash . Cheers for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Stick around sure, a lot to be learned and good help usually to be found here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

Now that you v topped up i d recommend you to check the oil level much more often for a while just to see whether the oil will be leaking or burning or something... so that you wont end up whit the same problem again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 gezas

Synthetic or semi synthetic oil. Or just call to any garage and they will recommend you what type of oil you can use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

question....
    which oil for a o5 passat 1.9 tdi....
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Look in the handbook.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement