Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to buy airfix

Options
  • 30-08-2008 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi. I'm looking for some airfix models for my son but not sure where to buy. I came across a website called Marks Models. is this a reputable site? They don't use paypal so I was not sure about entering credit card details. Or is there anywhere in the Galway area that I could buy them directly? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 alfaspud

Hi,

Marks models have a few shops in Dublin, but I find them a bit expensive. I've seen some kits for sale in some of the big toy chainstores, but again, I think they are a bit pricey.

Ebay is great, there are lots of online shops that are fairly cheap for kits, they nearly all take paypal, but beware of shipping costs, some retailers will rip you off for shipping.

I buy most of my kits from a company in Hong Kong. Their site is luckymodel.com. Even with shipping costs included they are a lot cheaper than the shops here. They don't take paypal but they do have a secure credit card payment system. You have to set up an account with them, and its straightforward. They take about a week to get here. If you do buy from them, make sure the kit is 'in stock', otherwise they have to order it from their suppliers and it will take longer to get to you. I have been buying from them for a couple of years now and have never had any problems.

I take it when you say airfix models, you are using it as a generic term for model kits, because if you specifically want kits made by Airfix, the site mentioned above don't sell them. But check out their range of 'Academy' kits, they're very cheap and good quality. Hope this helps!

P.S. It's great to hear of a kid interested in our dying hobby! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 maireadH

Thanks for that. I'll check out that site. I didn't know there were other brands but I'll have a look at them. My son picked up a couple of airfix models in a closing down sale in a shop in spain and loved them so I thought I'd try and get a few more for him. All I could find locally were pre-painted ones or cars. He's into war planes really, particularly WW2 so that's what I'm looking for. If you've any suggestions I'd be happy to take them. My sole knowledge of this is my brother doing it 35 years ago so it's all a bit hazy:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 alfaspud

Hi,

There are literally hundreds of kit manufacturers worldwide. Airfix is a uk company, thats why they are/were really popular here. I reckon Tamiya or Hasagawa, two japanese manufacturers, make the best kits, but they can be quite expensive. Revel and Italeri make nice kits too, and aren't very expensive.

If your son is into WW2 warplanes (like me :)) he'll know what he wants, let him search that site. There are photos of the planes and product details. But remember, make sure they have it 'in stock', or you'll have to wait a while for the kit to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Hi,
    I found this a good place to buy from http://www.moduni.de/index.php?cPath=35000000_35300000_35302000&sort=2a&filter_id=970482

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Did you try Modelworld, in Liosbaun Ind Estate, in Galway ?

(he lives in Craughwell, and they regularly practice RC stuff and Mother Hubbards on the Dublin Road)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 maireadH

Thanks. I'll have a look at those options.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭goldwing

is modelworld not closed down?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 keeneraboy

maireadH wrote: »
    Hi. I'm looking for some airfix models for my son but not sure where to buy. I came across a website called Marks Models. is this a reputable site? They don't use paypal so I was not sure about entering credit card details. Or is there anywhere in the Galway area that I could buy them directly? Thanks.

you should try argos or the website airfix.com

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dun79

This thread is 2 years old, Please don't drag up old posts.

Advertisement