Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily Mail Article - Irish Puppy Farmer

Options
  • 30-08-2008 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

I quote:
    When asked whether the chihuahua was sick, the shop assistant replied: 'No, she's fine.'

The assistant was unable to give accurate ages for any of the puppies on display, when they had arrived in the shop and which paperwork related to which dog. There was only one thing he could say for certain: they came from Ireland.

Also mentioned: a puppy farmer in Ireland
    The identity of the breeder on such documents as there were was unreadable, but it was likely to have said 'John Boland'. Or someone very much like him. John Boland Jnr runs Ireland's - possibly Europe's - biggest puppy farm with his father in County Offaly, off the main road between Dublin and Galway.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1050747/How-tiny-handbag-dogs-bred-conditions-horrific-cruelty.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It is a crying shame, that in this day and age nobody in the legislature could be bothered to close the loophole in the law that allows these practices to continue right under their noses and in their full knowledge.

Most puppy farms (and puppy farmers) are known to the authorities, as are their despicable practises ...and nothing can be done to stop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I have repeately asked the ISPCA to check out his premises as he is not far from me. I have now forwarded them the link via email. Maybe NOW they will at least check him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

It's awful that they know exactly who and where he is and still nothing can be done. The "law" is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 nite11owl

Your right it is a shame that the law in 2008 is as it is, the basic animal leglastion is that of 1911 with some basic ammendments in 1986 THAT IS IT..... The ISPCA is a charity and there fore has to follow the same rules as every one else, (they can not break the laws just as you and I can not) Most in the ISPCA wish they coul do more but untill the government drag the animal welfare legislaton out of the dark ages their hands are tied and can only try to make the animals as well of as the law allows which in some cases better than nothing even if not an ideal solution.

The only way it will change is if people stop trying to blame all the charities trying to do some thing and voice their anger at the people who make OUR laws(and the only nes who actually can change things) This means put pressure on your TD and ask him to raise it in the Dail.

Come off your high horse re the ISPCA, they are not the only animal welfare charity in Ireland - the rest of us is very well aware what the laws are but even for puppy miller apply minimum standards ie water, food etc. And the ISPCA in conjunction with the Gardai has raided Puppy Farms before - so what exactly is your point? Also, many pounds are ISPCA run and as far I am aware the ISPCA does NOT have a non-kill policy.

The so eagerly awaited new Animal Welfare Bill was supposed to have come out ages ago. I have made submissions to it as they were taking public consultations.

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animal_health/AHWBill_PublicConsultationPaper280508.doc

Have you?

• Advertisement

Only about 6 pounds are operated by the ISPCA out of what 20 something counties...
    And yes the ISPCA does have a poicy that no healthy animal that comes into its rescue centre will not be put to sleep.

The law is the law not for us to break... but if thats what you want to do that is up to you.. on one of your other posts did you involve the gardia when you removed that white terrier???? and did a vet attend and advise it was suffering????? did you find an owner to prosecute????

ohh and the new bill, yeh I put in my tuppence worth.
    Hopefully it will make all welfare organisations be able to do more.

and with that said I hope you did take a gardia with you when you got that white terrier as only them and the dog warden has the authority to enter on to a property to execute there dutie..

But then if your well aware of the law you knew that.

nite11owl wrote: »
    ohh and the new bill, yeh I put in my tuppence worth.
    Hopefully it will make all welfare organisations be able to do more.

and with that said I hope you did take a gardia with you when you got that white terrier as only them and the dog warden has the authority to enter on to a property to execute there dutie..

I never took in a white terrier :D - but if you are refering to the Wheaten Terrier then yes, he was surrendered to me, signed and all :D. You ARE stalking my posts - I take that as a compliment :D

And Gardia sounds like a disease .
    Only about 6 pounds are operated by the ISPCA out of what 20 something counties...

ONLY 6 pounds in which dogs are killed just like in any other pound are run by the ISPCA? ONLY? I wonder to how many dead dogs a years that adds up to.
    And yes the ISPCA does have a poicy that no healthy animal that comes into its rescue centre will not be put to sleep.

NOT true and I have that from an ISPCA inspector myself. Anything that looks remotely like an APBT is pts'd regardless of its temperament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

I was only eating the DSPCA manager last week and told them I was sick of their attitude and sick of doing their job for them, I had to remove 40 cats and four dogs from a hoarders home a few years back and couldn't get any help from them what so ever, I told them I was a small rescue and only had a small three bed house to which to look after them they still wouldn't help, you can ask why ? because they weren't getting publicity for it as the cats had already started to be removed they thought I would get the publicity so ignored me (I told them to take it, I didn't care about that). But thanks to cat Aid and cats protection I manage the bills as ten had to be put to sleep, and they helped me rehome the rest along with my fantastic vets.

They said they can not enter a premises unless they are invited to, the officer who was with him at the time almost laughed when I said the warden can get police involved if they think there is animal cruelty or neglect going on no matter what animal it is I got the impression they didn't want to work with him either and last time I was at the pound and told them I had given the SPCA a dog to care for, (by pure luck they had a space) they said the SPCA make there job more difficult because they don't inform them were these dogs come from so they can't investigate any cruelty from were the dogs have come.

They seem to be a law onto them selfs (a******s) if they can't gain entry to the farmers with out the warden and police how do they expect to close them down it is the wardens that hold the power to take animals away if they believe are in danger.

All I can say is support ANVIL TO HELP CHANGE THESE LAWS. We are still working of 1918 laws.

Me, you and everyone else have more rights than the SPCA have, I asked them if I come across this again and could get them excess or get the animals out would they help, they gave me there card but I don't hold out much hope, even offered to help them out if they can't gain entry to these home's they come across and was pretty much dismissed, if thats the way they want it then so be it they will get no support from me in the further if their prepared to walk away from a major hoarders home.

They will not work with other rescues I know this for a fact and lass out at any that might get soom descent funding also know this as a fact.

I don't put them down for the good work they do just wish they would coperate a little better with other rescue's working from the same hyme sheet instead of trying to be no. one all the time I work quielty from home and don't want media attention they can have it all they want I'm to busy.

• Advertisement

EGAR wrote: »
    I never took in a white terrier :D - but if you are refering to the Wheaten Terrier then yes, he was surrendered to me, signed and all :D. You ARE stalking my posts - I take that as a compliment :D

And Gardia sounds like a disease .

ONLY 6 pounds in which dogs are killed just like in any other pound are run by the ISPCA? ONLY? I wonder to how many dead dogs a years that adds up to.

NOT true and I have that from an ISPCA inspector myself. Anything that looks remotely like an APBT is pts'd regardless of its temperament.
    No Not stalking your post, just that you seem to hae a bit of a beef with the ISPCA.
    Have you ever seen the figures for individual pounds???
    you might find that the ISPCA ones find a lot more homes for dogs than the council run ones.. ok dogs still pts but it comes down to supply and demand not enough people want older dogs which most strays are, and if you fill all the pounds up and then what happens to those still on the street? when the pounds are full of stray dogs and no room????? you will get people then complaining that dog wardens are not doing their job because they cant pick up a stray dog...

I wonder which inspector said that????? as a matter of fact a staffie was only rehomed a while back...

Ahem, there is a difference between a Staffie and an APBT but since you work in Animal Welfare you surely knew that :p. Yes, I know about the white Staffie in Longford, I had a chat with Chris about Staffies ;).

I know the pound figures, I also know that no GH makes it out alive of Ennis pound as there is a deal between GH owners and the pound. They can surrender their GH's but they are being pts'd and not put up for adoption. Ennis Pound has one of the highest destruction rates in the country and, correct me if I am wrong, is ISPCA run.

I have no beef with the ISPCA as a matter of fact I am on very good terms with Mark Beazley for example with whom I have just been on a Newstalk show and whom I met again at the launch of the Dogstrust Centre in Dublin. We had a nice chat about Mr. Boland and his puppy farm. Ask him, he knows me well :D.

I DO, however, have an issue with your aggressive posts and your overuse of exclamation and question marks.

Oh, and btw, you DO owe me an apology on the Grant thread ;)

Advertisement