Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alistair Darling

Options
  • 30-08-2008 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/aug/30/economy.alistairdarling

Ok, bear with me on this one, I'm rambling because I don't know where I'm going yet.

But basically......

Darling says situation in grave, world economy is fecked up on a large scale, nobody knows how bad it will get, especially the people in charge who we trust to sort these things out for us.

Wow, a politician told us the truth, times are difficult, we'll try to ride it out.

Huzzah!, you might say.

But.......

All day he has been lambasted on the news channels. How will this restore confidence? The markets are built on confidence, he will feck things up even further. Consumer confidence will never recover if they know that they will never pay back the money they borrow to prop up the markets.

What does this say about the current state of capitalism and world markets? Is our illusion of prosperity about fooling the plebs into spending money they don't have? When it all goes @rse over t1t they, will be counted as inevitable casualties? But, who cares, confidence will have been restored.

Is it any wonder the stock of politicians is so low when we're told we need to be lied to and and the truth with-held? Telling the truth is the absolute wrong thing to do.

In the national interest, of course.

Discuss.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Don't mind the news channels and their pundits. Since when did we look to them for wisdom?

In a healthy economy there is no need to "talk things up". Confidence is important but it needs to be based on reality rather than hype.

Advertisement