Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Master timing belt

Options
  • 31-08-2008 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm having a few issues with my van at the moment... One of the is to do with the alternator and I can understand that problem.... The main problem is that I'm loosing a major amount of coolant... When I say major I'm talking about a liter for every five miles of driving.... I stopped driving yesterday after I filled it up twice with a liter of water as an emergency as all the car parts shops were closed.. I got my mechanic out to me first thing this morning as the battery died in the van just as I pulled into drive way (related to the alternator)

Any how I looked for an obvious leak in all the pipes, looked right under the van as well and there wasn't a single sign of a leak from any of the pipes.. The mechanic thinks its the water pump.. Don't know how so much water would get out of without me noticing it when I was underneath the van but hes the expert I'm not..

My question to all you guys out there is would it be worth me changing the timing belt on it if hes going to b replacing the water pump? I'v read before to change the pump when your changing the timing belt.. The timing belt was last changed at 190,000miles and there is now almost 240,000miles on the clock..Or should I leave it for now????

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Hi I'm having a few issues with my van at the moment... One of the is to do with the alternator and I can understand that problem.... The main problem is that I'm loosing a major amount of coolant... When I say major I'm talking about a liter for every five miles of driving.... I stopped driving yesterday after I filled it up twice with a liter of water as an emergency as all the car parts shops were closed.. I got my mechanic out to me first thing this morning as the battery died in the van just as I pulled into drive way (related to the alternator)

Any how I looked for an obvious leak in all the pipes, looked right under the van as well and there wasn't a single sign of a leak from any of the pipes.. The mechanic thinks its the water pump.. Don't know how so much water would get out of without me noticing it when I was underneath the van but hes the expert I'm not..

My question to all you guys out there is would it be worth me changing the timing belt on it if hes going to b replacing the water pump? I'v read before to change the pump when your changing the timing belt.. The timing belt was last changed at 190,000miles and there is now almost 240,000miles on the clock..Or should I leave it for now????

Thanks in advance

Well if the coolant isn't leaking out of the vehicle, then it is being lost inside the engine. Is there any evidence of excess steam from the exhaust??? This is a possible head gasket problem. Check the oil filler cap for signs of a scummy like pepper sauce substance. Just be 100% sure that the coolant is not leaking outside the vehicle and take it from there. Don't let the engine warm up while your checking this...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

See what's advised in the manual for timing belt change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

cant check it as it's in the garage now.. I'l ring the head mechanic mon afternoon to see what the story is...

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

for piece of mind if your replacing the water pump replace the timing belt and all other belts etc maybe the oil pump as well as theres big mileage on the van and the life of big mileage is regular servicing and maintaince etc
    alos check tat its not the head gasket gone and the water isnt mixing in wit the oil cause it has to be going somewhere if its not coning out underneath the van

would it cost much extra to get the timing belt done in terms or labour? These guys charge me 50bucks and hour for labour... Also any ide how much an oil pump would be roughly? If the head gasket is gone will I have to get the head skimmed level? I couldn't afford to get that done if I have to get it skimmed..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

If the timing belt has to be removed to access the water pump, you'd be as well to replace it - once you remove a timing belt, you're not supposed to reuse it. In terms of labour costs, it should'nt cost much extra - the majority of the labour is in the stripping and rebuilding, which could include the timing belt anyway!

Assuming the water pump located behind the timing cover, you wouldn't be able to see any coolant coming out of it - but you should see it dripping off the bottom of the engine.

See what the mechanic says - if the belt has to come off, he'll probably recommend a belt change anyway.

well I didn't stay under the van long enough to see was it dripping as it was almost dark when I got home... I probably will end up changing the timing belt.. Might as well if there going to be changing the water pump... I suss it out tomorrow...

Advertisement