Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek inconsistencies

Options
  • 31-08-2008 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭

Lets try and explain away as best or as worst we can, the multitudes of inconsistencies in star trek. I believe star trek is real, so if anyone could help me resolve these inconsistencies I would be greatful.

1. Why are there no seats except for the three at the front on the 1701d in TNG, surely Worf and everyone else would get tired standing for hours on end. This would also apply to voyager.

2. Why are the computer graphics in TNG in the 23rd century not anywhere near as good as what we have now or even in 1999?

3. Why in one particular episode of TNG when Geordi and Ro get turned into ghosts does the romulan agent explode dramatically when he is sent into space? This doesn't happen when you're sent out unprotected into space.

4. Again the space deal, captain archer in one particular episode jettisons himself out into space unprotected before being beam to the enterprise where he is seen with icicles coming out of his hair. Now unless the surrounding oxygen had something to do with it I can't see how he could be covered in snow after spending 10 seconds in space as you don't freeze rapidly in space as there is nothing to conduct the heat away from you.

If anyone has any more inconsistencies to contribute please do so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Also,

Data, a sociopathic android, would you really trust him to be in the crew??? I mean he killed his own brother, and tried to kill the collector dude before being beamed up. He then subsequently withholds the truth from Riker, saying something happened in transit.

Troy got random hallucinations which incredibly everyone believed

and Worf constantly ignored starfleet regulations when it suited him because of his klingon heritage.

And Wesley zipping off around the universe with an old dude just seems a bit gay.

Janeway was a psycho aswell, completely illogical in most of her command decisions. Like when she ran through a wall of fire just to look tough, justifying it under the rationale that it was the only way to save the ship, she wasn't thinking hard enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

How about Spock smiling broadly in "Where no man has gone before"?

he was part human, maybe he lost himself for a few seconds...

heres another one, in TOS the romulan space cruisers had the exact same design as the klingon ones.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

And Wesley zipping off around the universe with an old dude just seems a bit gay.
    LOL :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I will try get started on some of those....

1. Why are there no seats except for the three at the front on the 1701d in TNG, surely Worf and everyone else would get tired standing for hours on end. This would also apply to voyager.

All the stations at the back have seats, as do the con offices.. actually security is on the only one without a seat.... maybe he needs to be alert....

2. Why are the computer graphics in TNG in the 23rd century not anywhere near as good as what we have now or even in 1999?

the displays are functional , I don't see any need for them to look good...

I think its more strange that nx-01 is covered in our current plasma tv's....

3. Why in one particular episode of TNG when Geordi and Ro get turned into ghosts does the romulan agent explode dramatically when he is sent into space? This doesn't happen when you're sent out unprotected into space.

a human in phase with us would not exploded , but have you ever thrown a romulan that has been shifted into a different dimension into space ?

4. Again the space deal, captain archer in one particular episode jettisons himself out into space unprotected before being beam to the enterprise where he is seen with icicles coming out of his hair. Now unless the surrounding oxygen had something to do with it I can't see how he could be covered in snow after spending 10 seconds in space as you don't freeze rapidly in space as there is nothing to conduct the heat away from you.

you got them there , the water should boil , not freeze....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

he was part human, maybe he lost himself for a few seconds...

heres another one, in TOS the romulan space cruisers had the exact same design as the klingon ones.

it was because of a short livewd klingon/romulan alliance. Romul;ans wanted more advancved ships and got some D7's from the klingons while the klingons gained cloaking tech, enterprise kinda ****ed up that contunituiy tho

Actually in star trek 3 - search for spock the klingon bird of pray in the orginal script was a capturaed romulan prototype. but they cut that out of the story to shorten the movie.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

jhegarty wrote: »
    a human in phase with us would not exploded , but have you ever thrown a romulan that has been shifted into a different dimension into space ?
    Well, now that you mention it... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

Did he explode? I thought he just floated off through space. Although this gives rise to another question:

Why don't Ro, Geordi and the Romulan drop through the decks of the ship and into space?

Ciaran B wrote: »
    Why don't Ro, Geordi and the Romulan drop through the decks of the ship and into space?

the artificial gravity must have made it through to that phase....

the big one is everyone is missing about that though ... where did the air for them to breed come from..

• Advertisement

perhaps they underwent a transformation like Quinn Dexter, a character out of a sci fi trilogy called Nightsdawn. I know that when he underwent that transformation from going to sub levels of reality he didn't need oxygen. His biological processes were suspended effectively. I would say the same happened to ro and geordi.

Heres another one, do you know the episode where time is slowed down by aliens who live in singularities and basically picard, data, geordi and troi investigate the enterprise where everyone is trying to stand perfectly still badly? Im not well up on my physics but when Picard moves Worfs arm would it not take him ages to do so, or how did that work given that worf is on a much slower timeframe whereas picard is on a normal one. Would his arm disintegrate by being simply being moved so fast?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

User45701 wrote: »
    it was because of a short livewd klingon/romulan alliance. Romul;ans wanted more advancved ships and got some D7's from the klingons while the klingons gained cloaking tech, enterprise kinda ****ed up that contunituiy tho

Actually in star trek 3 - search for spock the klingon bird of pray in the orginal script was a capturaed romulan prototype. but they cut that out of the story to shorten the movie.

damit i wanted to say all that , i also think i read somewhere the real reason was either that the klingons d7's looked better on camera and that the orignal romulan bird of prey from balance of terror was lost in a fire ( i know they used stock footbage to have it in a later esp (the deadly years))

the esp where the romulans are using d7s was Enterprise Incident , and in the remastered esp that changed one of them to a bird of prey , which i thought was cool.

see the remasterd bird of prey in Enterprise incident
    http://trekmovie.com/2008/04/03/first-images-from-the-enterprise-incident/

they also replaced the stock footage in dealdy years with new sfx

http://trekmovie.com/2007/11/09/the-preview-for-remastered-the-deadly-years-never-gets-old/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Rascal77

How did the enterprise get back to it's normal time at the end of first contact?At the end it just creates it's own vortex.Didn't think it could do that especially without a deflector dish.

Heres another one, do you know the episode where time is slowed down by aliens who live in singularities and basically picard, data, geordi and troi investigate the enterprise where everyone is trying to stand perfectly still badly? Im not well up on my physics but when Picard moves Worfs arm would it not take him ages to do so, or how did that work given that worf is on a much slower timeframe whereas picard is on a normal one. Would his arm disintegrate by being simply being moved so fast?

the arm-bands created a bubble of normal speed time around them , so the air around them , or the arm went into their speed

jhegarty wrote: »
    the arm-bands created a bubble of normal speed time around them , so the air around them , or the arm went into their speed

which is what I was thinking, but if one half of the arm moves at an incredibly faster speed than the rest of the body as it exists in slow space, would it not be amputated as a result?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

On Earth with our pathetic 21st century shoes, yes, but in space with their artificial gravity, and 23rd century (or is it 24th) technology in footwear, no one ever gets tired!
    Because starfleet are too cheap to pay for decent graphics!
    I don't remember him exploding, but I suppose Romulan bodies behave differently from human bodies.
    That's not an incosistency, it was consistent with the overall gayness of the Wesley character...
    where did the air for them to breed come from..
    They were breeding? The one I saw they were just hugging!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

Rascal77 wrote: »
    How did the enterprise get back to it's normal time at the end of first contact?At the end it just creates it's own vortex.Didn't think it could do that especially without a deflector dish.
    Excellent point, just a bit of a plot hole there. I would expalin it away by saying the chronometric field could be produced with the nacellles as a subspace field? :clutch at straw:

which is what I was thinking, but if one half of the arm moves at an incredibly faster speed than the rest of the body as it exists in slow space, would it not be amputated as a result?

well there is only one way to find out... we only need a galaxy class start ship , a romulan war bird, a runabout , some time speed-e-upie armbands and a volunteer who doesn't mind having his arm removed....

hmmm, the only reason I can think of which is unconvincing is that the field extends to an area sufficient to also encompass Worf. In fact come to think of it that would make sense for Geordi to program in a field of that size given that the crew member may inadvertently walk into their comrades in slow time which would make them explode. But heres another thing...why do the people in slow time move ever so slightly as if they were pretending to stand still...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

hmmm, the only reason I can think of which is unconvincing is that the field extends to an area sufficient to also encompass Worf. In fact come to think of it that would make sense for Geordi to program in a field of that size given that the crew member may inadvertently walk into their comrades in slow time which would make them explode. But heres another thing...why do the people in slow time move ever so slightly as if they were pretending to stand still...

Because it is slow time and they move but in slow movements?

Or that the time pockets moved slightly causing them to shudder a bit.

Or the bloody actors were for once not as wooden as they always were?

• Advertisement

Because it is slow time and they move but in slow movements?

Or that the time pockets moved slightly causing them to shudder a bit.

Or the bloody actors were for once not as wooden as they always were?

yeah, the time pockets explanation is a good one, I think it was that, you know slight perturbations in the global time matrix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Good point ! Didnt worf or picard blow it up with a few borg on it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭DesignLady

The Trill race changed completely between their first apearance on TNG and becoming an established race on DS9.

Even within DS9 there were contradictions. In season 1 Jadzia is put on trial for a crime Curzon committed but later it's esablished that joined Trills can't be held responsible for crimes commited by previous hosts.

T'Pol. Just in general. The whole development of a charater was inconsistant with everything that had been established.

Troi's abilities. She could communicate telepathically with Riker in Encounter at Farpoint but that wasn't really brought up again.

The past. Voyager went back to Earth in 1996- what happened to the Eugenics wars?

The Voyager one can be explained by the everitt interpretation, as soon as they went back to 1996, they created an alternate universe.

Why are all the computer systems extremely similar in terms of interfaces on all the alien ships, basically touch screen with lighted symbols. I remember watching this on Voyager, Paris etc board the alien ship with the slipstream drive and can work out the interface relatively fast as its very similar to Voyagers and all the other alien systems in the star trek universe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

The Voyager one can be explained by the everitt interpretation, as soon as they went back to 1996, they created an alternate universe.

Why are all the computer systems extremely similar in terms of interfaces on all the alien ships, basically touch screen with lighted symbols. I remember watching this on Voyager, Paris etc board the alien ship with the slipstream drive and can work out the interface relatively fast as its very similar to Voyagers and all the other alien systems in the star trek universe.

Wasn't the Dauntless (the alien ship i think you are referring to) made look like a Starfleet ship, and therefore would have had normal Starfleet consoles. How Arturis, the alien chappie who built it, knew what a Starfleet console would look like is another thing.....

As for ships in the Alpha quadrant, maybe they decided to try and keep them all as generic as possible to allow for rescue missions (and also ship hi-jackings, captures etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭DesignLady

All the races stole or bought from other races or just spied on them to get the technology so that's how things are all similar??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

DesignLady wrote: »
    All the races stole or bought from other races or just spied on them to get the technology so that's how things are all similar??

Possible.

gatecrash wrote: »
    Wasn't the Dauntless (the alien ship i think you are referring to) made look like a Starfleet ship, and therefore would have had normal Starfleet consoles. How Arturis, the alien chappie who built it, knew what a Starfleet console would look like is another thing.....

I actually think nyarlothothep , might be confusing slipstream with a Coaxial warp drive, And was talking about the esp Vis à Vis , where paris is able to control and fly Steth's ship after like 5 mins .

DesignLady wrote: »
    The Trill race changed completely between their first apearance on TNG and becoming an established race on DS9.

Even within DS9 there were contradictions. In season 1 Jadzia is put on trial for a crime Curzon committed but later it's esablished that joined Trills can't be held responsible for crimes commited by previous hosts.

T'Pol. Just in general. The whole development of a charater was inconsistant with everything that had been established.

Troi's abilities. She could communicate telepathically with Riker in Encounter at Farpoint but that wasn't really brought up again.

The past. Voyager went back to Earth in 1996- what happened to the Eugenics wars?

Well o.k. i will give you the Trill one , but well maybe the orignal ones where a subspecies , or it is just a regional different , like the way asians have different facial features , or romulans and some of them having brow ridges .

What stuff are do you mena aout T'Pol ?, but if its about her being super emotional , well i put that down to her addictions to Trellium-D and if enterprise had gone on for another season , they where writing a script where it turns out T'pol has Romulan blood (like her father was a Romulan spy or something).

Troi's abilities .....well she was just lame , lets leave it at that.

And in 1996 the Eugenics wars where not really effecting America, the wars where mostly in the middle east and asia (thats where khan ruled)

• Advertisement

Hmm thats a really good one , but i mean a deflector dish is a really important part of a starship , if it breaks in deep space you would be screwed , they must have a spare or a back up , even just the parts to build a new one. Or maybe a Temporal vortex can be made by reconfiguring the shields generators

Advertisement