Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek inconsistencies

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

In at least one TNG ep and in the fifth movie crew members face almost certain death while climbing / hanging around in immensely tall turbolift shafts.
    Why in the name of Jebus would you have the artificial gravity turned on inside a turbolift shaft :eek: ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,401 ✭✭✭✭noodler

No ships protecting Earth when the Xindi approach in the end of ENT season 3.

Yet at the start of season 4 (at the end of the two parter) there is a bloody armada of Star Fleet and Vulcan ships around Earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

noodler wrote: »

Yet at the start of season 4 (at the end of the two parter) there is a bloody armada of Star Fleet and Vulcan ships around Earth.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me??

Wah?

They got caught with their pants down before and 7 million (or something like that) people paid the price

So they decided to make sure that something like that couldn't happen again.

(EDIT)

Total and complete kerwaffle.... Read your original post as the end of S3 followed by a comment about the end of S4

• Advertisement

But I thought there were only 2 other ships in service (both non-warp).

I think it would have been so much cooler to see the pitiful star fleet army of the time try (in vain) to stop the Xindi onslaught at the end of season3.

I just thought of a way to explain it away, maybe when the Xindi were approaching earth at the end of S3, the TCW was already in full swing and earth was back in the 1940s?

Sure Ill make a stretch to save the Xindi arc cos I love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

But it did. In Generations, the enterprise-B is the only ship in the sector when the nexus arrives.
    The Breen can fire on Earth's surface, so presumably even at the height of the Dominion War Starfleet hasn't mastered security of the Sol system.

What do you mean Gatecrash?

karlr42 wrote: »
    But it did. In Generations, the enterprise-B is the only ship in the sector when the nexus arrives.
    The Breen can fire on Earth's surface, so presumably even at the height of the Dominion War Starfleet hasn't mastered security of the Sol system.

Presumably by the time the Enterprise-B was launched, the outer defences were reckoned strong enough to defend against any invading force.

In relation t the breen, with their shield/ship disabling weaponary the entire fleet could have been stationed in near earth orbit and not been able to do a thing about it

@ Noodler, i meant that i read your original post incorrectly. I thought you were referring to the end of season 3 then in the next line to the end of season 4, whereas you were referring to the end of the Season 4 opener

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

noodler wrote: »

Well the Xindi was a sneak attack , so star fleet where caught where their pants down.
    Which happens alot, see every movie and 2nd esp for more details.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schematics/prefed_ships.htm

1 Intrepid type.

2 Sarajevo type (looks like something that the vulcans helped them with)

3 Unnamed class II (Little triangle ships)

The Intrepid types and Unamed ones , both have warp nacelles so must be warp ships , just not warp 5 like the NX class. And in the dialog in Ent they talk about lot of other ships i.e. someone is captain of this or he served on that ship . so i think ENT was just a little Like TOS in that they wanted the enterprise to be like the ONE ship all the time. I get the NX Class was the first real deep space ships , but the must have some other class doing stuff . like if the Earth Cargo Service has ships flying around , starfleet or UESPA would have warp 2-3 ships for sure.

I mean according to cannon the Romualan war would have began in what ? ENT 5-6 Season , they would have needed a fleet by then , so it seems to be a cause that we just never saw alot of them at once. In fanfiction and stuff i know they say that other Coalition of Planets members (vulcan , andoria , tellarite ...etc) helped earth out by giving them resources and use of ship yards to build more NX ships to fight the romulans.

Cause i mean come on they built 2 bloody nx class ships in 4 seasons which is just a joke.
    Yes i know they keep saying one more was almost finished that must be the "Challenger" then , and 2 or 3 more where on the drawing board but what they hell does that mean , you think after the xindi attack they could have got them off the drawing board and into space, bulit most of them on the surface if you have to , or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

In the older ST films with kirk or even in some voyager episodes why are do they have cathode ray monitors instead of flatscreens, come on its the 24th century, surely they all have flatscreen at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

For the same reason that the Rooskies used vacuum tubes rather than silicon chips in some of their MiGs - they are not vulnerable to EMP.
    (As good a reason as any ????? ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

thats a good justification.

Ok Neelix's daily shipwide tv show, apart from being really unnecessary and the crew inexplicably tolerating it...why is the screen resolution so low for it, lower than what we have today on tv screens if its the 24th century with amazing technology? You can see the lines, it looks very mid 90s/cheap Hitachi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

gatecrash wrote: »
    Presumably by the time the Enterprise-B was launched, the outer defences were reckoned strong enough to defend against any invading force.

In relation t the breen, with their shield/ship disabling weaponary the entire fleet could have been stationed in near earth orbit and not been able to do a thing about it

@ Noodler, i meant that i read your original post incorrectly. I thought you were referring to the end of season 3 then in the next line to the end of season 4, whereas you were referring to the end of the Season 4 opener

The breen can cloak, i dont know why they didnt use it more often but was that not a reason given for the klingon fleet sent my empor Mocklor ? during the 2nd empire being defeated without ever being heard from?

Actually maybe not but im sure it was mentioned somewhere, i mean when you think about it those ships probbaly crosed 1000 lightyears of federation space before reaching earth

It may not be canon, but way back in the day, when i had was a win98 pc and Klingon Acadamey worked, it was mentioned in the game that a cloak was only truly effective at low (sublight) speeds, otherwise the energy output was just too high, and a ship could be detected that way.

it was referenced in season 3 of ds9 when the combined tal shiar/obsidian order fleet was traveleing at warp 6 because to travel any fast would have alerted the gemhadar

User45701 wrote: »
    it was referenced in season 3 of ds9 when the combined tal shiar/obsidian order fleet was traveleing at warp 6 because to travel any fast would have alerted the gemhadar

I thought the Jem Hadar had some method of detecting cloaked ships anyway? Or is it my memory playing tricks?

they intoduced the dominions long range tacylon scanner in season 6 "soldiers of the empire" (atleast i think thats the one) - the one with Kor.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

How come aliens look very similar to humans?

We came from our ancestors....gorillas.....was there a Romulan Gorilla? I know one TNG episode explained it, seeding, but all over the galaxy? How does one get ridges, what enviroment requires
    ridges, or spots.

How come aliens world had the same trees and plants?

.....Yeah. Bit of variety please!

How come every alien has the same timezone as Earth?

How many times did you hear an alien going 'I'll met you in an hour''....erm...

How come they all spoke English?

How does the universial translator work :confused: It can translate even if they haven't heard the langauge before...how....

How come their clothes sucked?

Seriously. Uniforms are good, normal clothes *puke* And what is with Picard pulling his jumper every 5 seconds!

Combadges - telepathic?

If Riker was on another ship or on a planet you would normally see him hitting his combadge ''Riker to Bridge''

But....you can hear that bit on the Bridge scene....HOW DOES IT KNOW? The combadge knows where its speaking to before he even says it! IE Picard to Engineering, Picard to La Forge

How come every panel has an explosive underneath it?

I'd wanna wear a helmet and thick gloves before touching a panel.

Why didn't the Borg assimilate animals?

A Borg Cow :p:p:p

How come security lockouts or overiding something don't work?

Yeah. Norton Antivirus would do a better job.

Sorry if I ruined star trek for you :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement