Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling the Grand Canal

• 31-08-2008 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭

Hi I was wondering if anyone has ever cycled the Grand Canal far out of Dublin? Is there some sort of cycleable road or path along it all the way to the Shannon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

The path is navigable all the way to the Shannon. But it's not a tarmac towpath all along. Much of it is more like a single track and very overgrown. It would not be possible on a road bike but with a decent hybrid or mountain bike it is no problem.

I've cycled it from the Shannon back to the Liffey over two days (train to Athlone with the bikes). Although it's flat I found it fairly tough. My mate who's done the same thing with the Royal canal says that the Royal canal is the more scenic one.

There are tow paths along all the canals where the horses used to pull the barges.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ChipPanBuddha

I'm interested in doing something like this myself.
    I came across this book which looks useful.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Towpath-Tours-Cycling-Irelands-Waterways/dp/1903464757/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220199798&sr=8-1
    Although it was published in March '05 so I'm not sure how much of the information would be out of date by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

The Grand is the easier tarmac or trodden path all the way that was 5 years ago. The start is at the grand canal dock My first day was to the bridge after Sallins easy hop back to Naas along the opposite towpath. Next day to Shannon Harbour. The Royal Canal will test your fittness a bit more especially after Maynooth. You could possibly do the trip in three days. One word of caution on this route the section between Coolmine and Porterstown Bridge is very dangereous, this is at what they call the deep cutting. another one at Ballymahon, but it's very safe to ride alongside. For a novice start with the Grand. Suggested start for Royal, Croke Park /Dorset Street. Information leaflets on both canals can be optained from the Waterways Irl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

That's good to hear, though I don't see why you would need a book about the cycling along the Canals of Ireland... with a map it is surely straightforward. My main interest is due to a visit I intend to make to some friends living in Daingean in the next few months. I would probably use the canal path part of the way.

A little research before setting out on a canal e2e makes for a very interesting adventure. There are lots of snippits of historical interest along the routes. Now I think both canals are fully signposted as to which side is open. This on the Royal was a problem on some stretches where you faced the option of two paths with one perhaps a dead end further on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

I took a spin on my bike out to Sallins on saturday morning.
    There is a good path as from the city centre to Clondalkin, (actually change sides of the canal at Clondalkin) just outside it turns to longish grass, there is a track, but is mostly overgrown, slower and a bit more tiring that tarmac, but it is still handy enough. There are few spots where is is very muddy, but not many. Also one spot where I had to lift the bike over a gate. There are some firm gravel tracks and better surfaces.. but if the grass is wet.. you will have wet feet..

The section the other side of Sallins is tarmac.. and I know there is a good stretch of tarmac around Allenwood, but would not recommend trying it on a road bike.

Took me about 3 hours to get to Sallins, but then I was stopping a looking at things, a lot. Could probably do it in 2. So you should make Daingean in a day, even with a good lunch break and a few rest stops.

I actually turned of , to go to Naas, and you need to go back, and around through a housing estate and duck through a hedge, to get on this side of the canal.

It's terrible that the towpath was allowed to get into such bad state. Is that muddy section just before Sallins it was the same 5 years ago. Did you go as far as Digby Bridge 8 Km from Sallins Bridge. Thats where I finished day 1 on way to shannon harbour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

yes.. the muddy bit is just outside Sallins.. you can see a few of the barges in the back round. Suppose it gets a lot more walking and cycling traffic. Its a realative short stretch, suppose it would not be too hard to give it some kind of gravel surface, but there is a lot of maintenance needed along the canal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

I was just wondering have they done up the route since this thread was created. I am cycling to work at the moment and I was thinking this would be a nice route and as a bonus I would be away from the traffic.

So does anyone know what the route is like now????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

• Advertisement
Advertisement