Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda crx del sol sir

Options
  • 31-08-2008 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hey guys was wondering if anyone has had any experience with a honda crx del sol sir dohc vtec and what it is like??was thinking of getting one imported and would it be any faster than a honda civic vtec

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

it woulld all depend on wat engine is in the honda civic vtec as u have 1.5 sohc vtec 1.6 sohc vtec and 1.6 twin cam vtec;)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭frag4

Girlfriend had 1 a few years ago.
    It was the 1.5 sohc v-tech with about 110hp . Which felt a little bit underpowered for such a great little car.
    Go for the 1.6 v-tech which in Imho is the greastest 1.6 engine ever built . What a buzz.
    UK versions 160 hp .
    jap 170hp or is it the other way around.

Sold the car with 180k miles on the clock to friend who then put another 50k miles over the years with no problems.

All hail Honda

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭tooler7

it woulld all depend on wat engine is in the honda civic vtec as u have 1.5 sohc vtec 1.6 sohc vtec and 1.6 twin cam vtec;)

Yeah it would be against a 1.6 twin cam vtec i was thinking that the crx would be because it is a lighter car than the civic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

I thought the July 1st VRT changes had killed or at least crippled this sort of import ?You want to check your figures...

yeah i did its already cant remember what exactly it was but less than 900e it is only a 1.6

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

july will have made vrt more expensive but motor tax still the same

iirc the del sol is heavier than the civic - might be wrong tho

VH wrote: »
    july will have made vrt more expensive but motor tax still the same

iirc the del sol is heavier than the civic - might be wrong tho

Interesting i thought the del sol would be much lighter because its alot smaller and its only a two seater

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Its heavier than the Civic alright - especially with the transtop. Hence the reason why they're also known as the Del Slo

Had one a few years back and it was the worst car I'd ever owned - but that was more down to me buying a heap. The leaky roof is common on them up until the seal on the roof was redesigned (93 I think). They're actually really cheap in the UK compared to Civic's of the same age (VTi's & ESi's anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Hey what is the difference if any between the sir model and the 1.6 vtec

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

ottostreet wrote: »
    Hey what is the difference if any between the sir model and the 1.6 vtec

There are a few different models - all Vtec

On UK/Irish cars - the ESi is a 1.6 SOHC Vtec with 130BHP or so, the VTi is a DOHC Vtec with 165BHP or so.

On Japanese cars, the initial release was a 1.5 SOHC Vtec (VXi) and a 1.6 DOHC (the SiR). The 1.5 version was replaced with a 1.6 SOHC around 1995 I think and it was rebadged as a VGi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I had the 1.5 dohc model.
    Worst car I have ever owned by a long shot.

Handling was terrible, it was noisy and the body flex was just shocking in it, to the point where I could get a big enough gap between the roof and the front screen to let water in on a tight roundabout.

Its a real posers car - good to look at terrible to drive. Buy an MX5 - its 10 times better at least.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I had the 1.5 dohc model.
    which one was that?

mx5 is a grand car but fierce slow

which one was that?

mx5 is a grand car but fierce slow

sorry - it was an sohc, my mistake, anyway the engine wasn't the problem the problem was it was a crappy fwd family hatch chassis with the roof chopped off.

My MX5 was the 1.8is model with lsd - there really is no comparison as far as driving is concerned.

I have had around 35 cars - the CRX was the worst by quite a margin.

what power was that one putting out - they all seem to be different

i drove the 1.6 - was about a 1997 - i found it very slow - i owned a '94 Mirage 1.6 mivec at the time - no comparison

It wasn't a power issue with the CRX - I am much more into well sorted handling, as over the type of roads I like to drive the sorted handling will more than make up for the lack of power if needs be - the MX5 has good handling in spades and the Crx - none.

ok - would prefer a combination of both - so mx5 aint my cuppa tae

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Why bother with the del slo!? Get a Mk2. Much better IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

was actually a friend posting that up, not me.. im after a mirage mivec myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Never drove a mivec. Wonder if they are any good. Gonna get the usual high quotes for a car like that though. I hate not being able to shop around come insurance renewal time. (I'm driving the MkII CRX, 1.6 Vtec)

ottostreet wrote: »
    was actually a friend posting that up, not me.. im after a mirage mivec myself!

Can I ask why you'd not look for something with a bit more pedigree as a hot hatch ? Maybe a 106 gti, clio 16v etc.

Alot of the Jap stuff just goes for screaming engines and horses than any sort of handling finesse - which is much more enjoyable to drive and alot less likely to have the rozzers after you.

there are some notable exceptions I might add - the CRX coupe etc.

• Advertisement

Can I ask why you'd not look for something with a bit more pedigree as a hot hatch ? Maybe a 106 gti, clio 16v etc.

Alot of the Jap stuff just goes for screaming engines and horses than any sort of handling finesse - which is much more enjoyable to drive and alot less likely to have the rozzers after you.

there are some notable exceptions I might add - the CRX coupe etc.
    have you driven a mirage mivec? what are your opinions on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

tooler7 wrote: »
    Hey guys was wondering if anyone has had any experience with a honda crx del sol sir dohc vtec and what it is like??was thinking of getting one imported and would it be any faster than a honda civic vtec

Yes i have exp wth them, no, there besically the same car, and unless your unsure about you sexuality, please for the sake of all that is manly dont import one...

also, since when are civics fast ? :rolleyes:

have you driven a mirage mivec? what are your opinions on it?

Sorry - I had a really long reply but my browser crashed.

In short no - but if they had remarkable handling I would fairly certainly have read about or heard about them and I haven't.

I make no bones about my dislike of most Japanese cars, with a few exceptions and I have driven enough of them to form my opinion myself.

I do think the biggest crime you could commit against yourself though is to ignore the euro hot hatches I mentioned previously and go straight to the Jap scrap heap to pick something up just coz it already has a big exhaust strapped onto it as a lot of young guys seem to be doing.

I do think the biggest crime you could commit against yourself though is to ignore the euro hot hatches I mentioned previously and go straight to the Jap scrap heap to pick something up just coz it already has a big exhaust strapped onto it as a lot of young guys seem to be doing.
    in fairness the euro hatches were to the europeans like the jap hatches were to the japanese - there were classics and lemons on both sides

i drive a european car now but i fondly remember my '94 mirage mivec - rock hard suspension, howling enigne with a red line at 8500 rpm and close ratio box - i think the problem with your crx may have been that you didnt get the top of the range model so it would have a softer suspension etc just like the non-mivec mirages/colts

in fairness the euro hatches were to the europeans like the jap hatches were to the japanese - there were classics and lemons on both sides

i drive a european car now but i fondly remember my '94 mirage mivec - rock hard suspension, howling enigne with a red line at 8500 rpm and close ratio box - i think the problem with your crx may have been that you didnt get the top of the range model so it would have a softer suspension etc just like the non-mivec mirages/colts

Perhaps - but I bet you a keg to your pint I could better my time round a track in my Dads bottom of the range 106 XN than I could in the CRX - a good chassis is a good chassis - a sh*t one is sh*t.

It was a spin in the 106 XN after having the CRX that thought me that.

Perhaps - but I bet you a keg to your pint I could better my time round a track in my Dads bottom of the range 106 XN than I could in the CRX - a good chassis is a good chassis - a sh*t one is sh*t.
    and what about the top of the range versions of both cars? :)

edit - just been speaking to a friend who knows hondas and he says that unless the del sol you had was the vti/sir version then it will have been a few mm taller, softer, and most importantly he says it will have been missing one or both anti roll bars - he reckons it actually had no anti roll bars but isnt 100%

my mirage was lowered 40mm by the previous owner - but it was as flat as a pancake through corners

and what about the top of the range versions of both cars? :)

then there is no contest - give me a 106 gti anytime 1000%

by the way - my point was, the standard 106 is a great drive because the chassis is just good - the basics of the crx are sh*te its ****e

Anyway - its not the car your after so there is mo point in debating it all day.

by the way - my point was, the standard 106 is a great drive because the chassis is just good - the basics of the crx are sh*te its ****e
    I get your point and I don't disagree that the base 106 has a better chassis than the base crx - I havent driven either of them

my point is the OP is looking for the top of the range model - your experience is based on a lower model only

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

I currently own a del sol SIR i had a 106 gti previously and i had a 1.1 106 before that and i agree the 106 gti is a far superior handling car the del sol is nowhere near as bad as u are making out i find it great fun to drive you had a 1.5 not an SIR totaly different driving experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭rogue.goofball

Handling was terrible, it was noisy and the body flex was just shocking in it, to the point where I could get a big enough gap between the roof and the front screen to let water in on a tight roundabout.

I think you must have had one that had been in a fair smack. They are know to leak a bit at the rubbers - but they are near 15 year old cars. I have one reconditioned rubbers not a drip anywhere. If it was leaking that bad, then the panels werent fitting together right, and the fact you mention body flex makes me think that the chassis of the car was damanged.

Advertisement