Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A word of advice to new sixth years...

Options
  • 31-08-2008 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

Just thought I'd share this since it's something which everyone has heard but very few actually believe when starting sixth year:
    This will very likely be the best school year ever. LC aside, there's more craic in sixth year than you can possibly imagine. And if you can manage to keep on top of what you're doing and not let it stress you out or consume every minute of your time, you will more than likely surprise yourself and have an unbelievably fun year.

So if you're one of those people who is approaching this with overhanging dread, just stamp on it and tell it to **** off. The leaving cert is one black cloud on an otherwise tropical-looking skyline.

And don't worry a bit if you still don't know what you want to do, most of my year hadn't made up their minds until after the LC (and many still aren't entirely sure).

There's always the chance that you won't get what you want at the end of the day. As it happened, I got 310 despite missing almost of all of fifth year from being sick and having operations and stuff, which was enough for my first choice. But I always thought of it like this. You can do the leaving cert as many times as you need until you get what you need. But you'll never get to relive your last year of school. You and your friends will never turn 18 again, and you'll never have another Pre Debs or school graduation. It's not worth throwing all of that away over something which, despite its importance, is ridiculously and unbelievably hyped up to much, much more than it ever should have been.

_______
    (The opinions expressed in my post may represent a slightly deranged and warped view of the world. These opinions in no way reflect the opinions of Boards.ie, and are purely my own opinions. ~hatrickpatrick)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I'm sure 6th year is great fun if you like to drink. As a non-drinker I can't see myself having too much fun. :pac:

6th class will always be the best school year I've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I don't drink either!!! :P
    Not drinking has the major advantage that you get to remember all your nights out and even better, you'll also remember any scandal you see or hear, and can subsequently incorporate this into any blackmail you need to take part in.

(I didn't actually do that, I'm just saying the option is definately there :cool:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 darraghc

Davidius wrote: »
    I'm sure 6th year is great fun if you like to drink. As a non-drinker I can't see myself having too much fun. :pac:

6th class will always be the best school year I've ever had.

:P Well, i'm a non drinker and I thought the craic was mighty in LC..you'll have no bother at all with it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Kids, don't listen to this man. He is wrong and irresponsible and possibly a murderer.

6th year is about relentless hard gruelling work. If you have any "craic" it's a sign that you're not studying hard enough and you will FAIL MISERABLY.
    Now back to your study, all of you. Those Shakespeare quotes won't learn themselves. SHOO!
    You and your friends will never turn 18 again, and you'll never have another Pre Debs or school graduation.
    Or in some cases, not at all.
    I turned 18 half way through 1st year of college, stop making me feel bad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Not gonna lie to ye,the Leaving is hard work,but there is certainly great craic to be had along the way.Open days,graduation mass,debs etc.Believe it or not,it is actually possible to get along well with teachers and they really do treat ye with a bit of respect in 6th year.The night of our grad mass,they all went out and got locked with the students!:cool:And yes,it is possible to have fun and not drink,just go out for a meal to celebrate,that's what my friends did.Then,if you want to get hammered afterwards,off into town with you.:PA pretty good system imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Imallin9989

This is going to sound strange but apart from all the study and **** sixth year will be your best year in school. Enjoy the laugh with your friends because when your sitting down at your Grad mass i'm telling you will be thinking, God I'm going to miss this.

Also hard work does pay off!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 36 snowflakes

Thanks for that hatrickpatrick. I was dreading this year. A lot of people scare you with their depressing lc stories, but that was beautiful! A1 material!

I'm gonna try to enjoy my final year at school- lc or not..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I agree with the OP totally :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Funnily enough, I don't doubt you one bit. I'm going to have fun this year and do well. That is a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

OP, what the hell are you doing?

How dare you try to take away THE FEAR? They can't know that sixth year has good points. They need to believe they're in for months of hell.

I demand that this thread be deleted right now, lest this forum become a light-hearted, happy place rather than merely a cold source of comfort for tortured souls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

NOOOOO!!! It's too late. Too many people have already read this thread (wow, talk about unintentional rhyming ;) )

To incoming sixth years - You see these boardsies would like to shut me up. Oh yes - close the thread, ban me, who knows? But I'd like you to send them a message. IF they shut me up..
    Who'll take my place, eh?
    Who's going to take my place?!
    I can't hear you!!! Who'll take my place?
    WILL THEY SHUT YOU UP?
    *Cue riot squad*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I can't hear you!!! Who'll take my place?
    WILL THEY SHUT YOU UP?

Yes. We shall silence you and all who subscribe to your "positive outlook"

6th Year = DOOOOOOOOOOM! MWAH-HA-HA-HA

mrburns.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Can't say I felt the same about sixth year really. It just felt like whatever to me. Then I knuckled down and really improved myself in two of my weaker subjects. The debs was really just a bug ripoff. Everyone went to the same spot and you hung around with your crowd. The late bar was the only plus. Then back for cans at a friends. 14 of us turned into about then down to 4 who went to the pub at opening time. everyone was out for the count after their first drink one in the local the morning after except me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Donnchadha

Anybody doing their leaving cert this year or even next year, one piece of advice.

Don't be afraid.

Although it is a stressful year and there is panic and stress involved. What you need to do is start working NOW. I don't mean 3-4 hours a night. I mean do your homework and learn your homework (not off by heart, but so you know the gist).

This will come in so much use once May comes because at that stage you will not need to panic because you will be revising instead of learning. Start Doing maybe 2-3 hours a night once January hits. Try and do well in your mocks so you shorten the amount to learn after them. I went up 170 points from my mocks till my actual leaving cert

Any other questions just ask and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Ack, so many advice threads!

Megamerge ahoy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Lizzy_Twist

6th year is about relentless hard gruelling work. If you have any "craic" it's a sign that you're not studying hard enough and you will FAIL MISERABLY.

haha i didnt 2 anything in 5th year and i didnt study a thing in 6th year got 415 points on my LC !!! it depends wa subjects u do 2 be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

argh i dont know how you people manage it.
    i do all my homework and dont let it build up on me and its still around 3 hours a night.god help me when i start studying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ScreenName

I don't drink either!!! :P
    Not drinking has the major advantage that you get to remember all your nights out and even better, you'll also remember any scandal you see or hear, and can subsequently incorporate this into any blackmail you need to take part in.

(I didn't actually do that, I'm just saying the option is definately there :cool:)

I FCUKING HATE when people tellvme what I done on a night out!!!

Advertisement