Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to get my dog back!

Options
  • 31-08-2008 4:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi,

About a year ago, my Mam gave our dog into the local shelter (without my opinion on the matter, of course), and we got a new dog. I was told that's just the way it was, and I kind of put up with it, even though the dog was my absolute best friend. She completely understood me, and she knew what to do just by looking at me. I was upset for a while, but I just bottled it, and tried to like the new dog instead (the new dog is a lab, my Mam wanted to get an outdoor dog instead of an indoor one), but he's just not the same, no matter what I do.

Recently, as in the last week or so, I've been thinking about my dog even more, and I want to try and find her. I've tried ringing the shelter after school every day last week, but there's never an answer. If I went to the shelter, would they have records of whom the dog went to? I don't even know what I'd do if I was able to find the dog, but I just won't feel right until I do find her...I'd love to be able to take her home again, but if she's been rehomed and is happy there that probably wouldn't happen :( I also read that surrendered dogs have 1 day to be rehomed, or they are destroyed. How likely would it be that she'd been rehomed in a day?

If you can give me any advice I'd be really grateful, I'm sort of in bits over my dog...Thanks

Comments

Shelters don't kill dogs.
    The pound gives them something more like a week, but I know my local pound won't kill an animal unless they have a problem, or the kennel is overcrowded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

OK, that's a relief anyway. I'd hate to think a healthy (and young) dog would be put down after a day...Thanks for the info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

if a dog is surrendered to the pound, the dog can be pts immediately - if a dog is surrendered to a shelter it is different - if you would like to pm the details of where your old dog was sent to I'll let you know (if I can) which the place is

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

If it was a well behaved healthy dog there is a very good chance that it got rehomed. As for looking to get it back, if it was surrendered to the pound or a rescue your mother may have had to sign the dog away which means you have no right to ownership any more.

Even if she didn't after a year and a day you no longer have any claim on the dog by law. Also, if the dog is in a new home think how they would feel if the old owner came along after a year saying "Actually I've changed my mind, I'd like my dog back". They will presumably have bonded with the dog and it will now be their dog, it also could be very upsetting to the dog to be suddenly uprooted again and brought back to the home that abandoned it.

You may have been against the dog going, but the best thing for everyone is if you learn to accept that what has happened has happened and cannot be changed. It is unlikely that this will be the first time in your life that you will wish you could go back to a certain point in your life and change something :rolleyes: . It's called character building and makes you a stronger and better person if you deal with it the right way.

Yea, you're right, and I know it, but the dog meant the world to me, and I'd do anything to get her back...the new dog likes me just as much, but he's no replacement...I suppose I just have to let it go so :(

Thanks for the replies anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

That reallys sucks that your mum gave your dog away and then replaced her!
    If she gave her to an SPCA or private shelter she wouldn't have been put down unless she was dangerous.

I know, what's really getting me is that I could've done something at the time, but didn't. And that because of that, she could be in a much worse home...It's not so much that I want to try and get her back at all costs, I think if I knew she was in a good home I'd be happy...

She definitely wasn't dangerous, but she did bark at anything in sight :rolleyes:

Where did she take her to? Maybe you could go there and try and find out who adopted her and try and contact them just to arrange a visit or even just to ask them about her if you think seeing her would upset her too much.

I think it's awful that your mother just dumped the dog instead of trying to figure out and fix whatever was causing the barking problem (usually boredom) but I hope you can find out about her, good luck! :)

also, you could go to petsireland.invisionzone.com and maybe post her details and a picture if you have it, you never know, somebody on there may know of her. (there are a lot of dog rescuers on there)

It was the new Mungret shelter she was left with (well, it was new back then). I've been calling them to see would they even have those kinds of records, but there's been no answer. I'm going to go there this week hopefully, and try and get some info. I really don't want to just let it go, I won't feel right until I do something (even a rough address of the owners would be good, so that I know she hasn't gone to one of the worse Limerick areas, or put down), as it's my fault it's gone this long. I was even there when she was dropped off, but there was nothing I could do :(

The barking itself was sheer boredom, she never got outside unless I took her for a walk. But with doing my Junior Cert, I didn't have much free time...I'm not trying to put my mother into a bad light either, what she did was terrible (for me at least), but she thought it was best.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

First let me preface this by saying I feel really bad for you having your dog taken away from you when you had bonded so closely. It must hurt so badly.

But I also have to say that you do not deserve your current dog. You have an extremely loving and kind natured breed of dog that, from what you say, loves you unconditionally. It's really sad that your dog was taken from you but nothing you can (read: should) do will get the dog back. Getting him back would be cruel. You have to move on. Love your new dog for the dog it is. This is a new dog with his own personality, quirks and his own life. Don't think of him as a replacement as that's cruel to the dog. If your lovely pet is mad about you, love him back, play with him, walk him and bond with him. Stop trying to make him into a dog he's not. Dogs need love and affection as well as their physical needs catered for. If you're letting your pining for your old dog get in the way of bonding with and caring for your new dog then you're clearly not responsible and mature enough to be an animal owner. Sorry if I come across as harsh but your attitude is all wrong and this sort of selfishness really annoys me. Your new dog is a living being with a mind of its own - it's not an object there purely for your pleasure. :mad:

• Advertisement

The new dog wasn't my idea. I'd have preferred to have no dog, as no other dog can replace her. But nobody here listens to my opinions, so the new dog was got. I do care for the new dog, and do what I did with my dog, but my heart isn't in it. He is a replacement no matter what way I think of it, my parents got him to replace my dog they got rid of, as they want a dog for security.

It's not that I'm being selfish for wanting my dog back, but it's the thinking that she could have ended up in a much worse home than ours, and that I could've stopped that. If it did turn out that she was happy in her new home, I'd probably be happy enough at that and let it go. But you know how bad most of Limerick is these days :(

Sorry if I came across as a spoiled child wanting my dog back, that's not the case. I just want to know that my dog is happy, really. If she isn't, and is in a bad home, I don't think it'd be cruel to want her rehomed. It's my fault wherever she's ended up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭celticcutie

I feel really sorry for you. That's a terrible thing that happened. I can understand why you're finding it hard to bond with your new dog. Give yourself time. It's ok to feel what you're feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

There's not much you can do about it now. By your inaction you already made that decision for your dog and sealed it and it's highly unlikely a shelter will rehome a dog to a bad home - or an unloving one. You'll only cause the dog heartache. You made a bad call. NOTHING you do will change that so move on. It's best for all involved.

So the new dog is a replacement but you seem to be seeing it as a personal replacement when clearly he's not. No matter what you do your first dog will always have a special place in your heart so try to accept that you can keep him dear to you in your heart but that he has moved on for good. You loved him and cared for him and made a bad choice but you were a kind owner. Take comfort in that and use it to move on. If your heart isn't in it I'm quite sure the dog will sense it. And for the record, that labrador will lay down his life for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

It was the new Mungret shelter she was left with (well, it was new back then). I've been calling them to see would they even have those kinds of records, but there's been no answer. I'm going to go there this week hopefully, and try and get some info.

The facility at Mungret is not a shelter. It's the dog pound for Limerick City and County. They used to have the highest PTS rate in the country, but I have heard things have improved slightly. I don't know what kind of records they keep of the dogs they've rehomed - I believe they are obliged to keep a register? They're not the most helpful people in the world however in my experience. The phones are only answered up to 10.30 in the mornings.

To my best understanding, when the dog was surrendered to the pound, it became the legal property of the local authority, and your family no longer have any claim to him.

I'm sorry, it's harsh but true. I know this wasn't your decision. If something similar ever happens again, or say, you or your mum finds a stray, contact Limerick Animal Welfare, not the pound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

It was the new Mungret shelter she was left with (well, it was new back then). I've been calling them to see would they even have those kinds of records, but there's been no answer. I'm going to go there this week hopefully, and try and get some info. I really don't want to just let it go, I won't feel right until I do something (even a rough address of the owners would be good, so that I know she hasn't gone to one of the worse Limerick areas, or put down), as it's my fault it's gone this long. I was even there when she was dropped off, but there was nothing I could do :(

The barking itself was sheer boredom, she never got outside unless I took her for a walk. But with doing my Junior Cert, I didn't have much free time...I'm not trying to put my mother into a bad light either, what she did was terrible (for me at least), but she thought it was best.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out ;)

I'm sorry to say that far as I am aware there is no dog shelter in Mungret. That's the dog warden kennels or the pound :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

OP, to be honest, I would leave it alone. How much worse will you feel if you succeed in getting through to someone at the pound, only to find that your dog was put to sleep?

I think at this point your energies would be best used trying to educate your parents about what constitutes responsible dog ownership. I have to say, I'm absolutely appalled that they got rid of one dog in order to get another. That makes no sense whatsoever. And you should tell your mother that there's no such thing as an "outside dog". A dog that's left outside 24/7 for security is just going to be bored and lonely, not a loyal protector of a family and home that do nothing for him.

I think you should print this and stick it on your fridge for your folks to read:

"1. The Outside Dog
    by the Humane Society of Silicon Valley
    PDF brochure for downloading at http://www.hssv.org/LIBRARY/PDF/Behavior/backyard_dog.pdf

Perhaps the biggest and most widely held misconception about dogs is the belief that they will be healthy and happy living only in the backyard. However, nothing could be further from the truth. Current studies in dog psychology show that dogs isolated in backyards are highly likely to develop serious behavioral problems that often result in euthanasia for the animal.
    WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW:
    DOGS ARE PACK ANIMALS THAT THRIVE ON COMPANIONSHIP. Much like their wolf ancestors, dogs are very social. In fact, dogs are more social than humans and need to be part of human families. When you own a dog, you become the dog's pack and he wants to be with his pack. Forcing a dog to live outside with little or no human companionship is one of the most psychological damaging things a pet owner can do to a dog.
    DOGS ARE ALSO DEN ANIMALS, meaning they like to have a safe, quiet, and secure place to sleep, rest, and hang out, such as your house. Your dog has a wonderful ability to learn and therefore to be housetrained. A dog who resides more in your house than in the yard is a much happier, content animal, because of the security of a den and your companionship.
    BACKYARD DOGS HAVE MORE BEHAVIORAL PROBLEMS. Since all your dog's instincts are telling him it is not good to be left alone or isolated from his pack, your dog can become very stressed or anxious. A dog exhibits stress by digging, barking, howling or whining, chewing, escaping, and exhibiting hyperactivity. These problems can become so troublesome that your neighbors may complain about the barking, howling, property destruction, or your dog escaping.
    BACKYARD DOGS ARE HARDER TO TRAIN. Considering a backyard dog does not develop a strong bond toward your family, he is harder to train than a dog allowed to be in the house with your family. This also makes him less responsive to commands.
    BACKYARD DOGS MAKE LOUSY GUARD DOGS. As a dog becomes naturally protective of where he lives (his territory or turf), he will only defend the place he lives in. If he is never allowed in the house, then the house will not become a place to protect. Most people keep their valuables inside their houses, so why wouldn't you want your dog to protect the inside of your house? Unless allowed to live inside, your dog will not develop that sense of territory. He will not sound the alarm when someone tries to invade your house. It is not uncommon to hear stories of families being robbed while their backyard dog snoozed through the whole episode.
    BACKYARD DOGS HAVE HIGHER RATES OF EUTHANASIA. Backyard dogs are more often given up than house dogs because they were never looked upon as family by their human pack. Sadly, that means they are easier to dispose of. Backyard dogs do not have the opportunity to become socialized to people and other dogs, and may become so fearful or even vicious that they may have to be euthanized.
    WHAT CAN YOU DO:
    KEEP YOUR DOG WITH YOU! At a minimum, your dog should have access to your living space whenever you are home, including sleeping inside your house at night. You do not have to spend every waking moment actively playing and talking to your dog; just the fact that your dog can lay quietly at your feet while you watch TV, work at your computer or sleep, is very important to his mental well-being.
    NEVER TIE OR CHAIN YOUR DOG UP OUTSIDE. Dogs that are tied up or chained outside suffer extreme frustration which can result in hyperactivity and/or aggression against you, your family or friends. Dogs that are tied up cannot escape from other animals or people who mean to do them harm. They can also easily become entangled and do bodily harm to themselves. It has been a sad tale to hear of a dog tied outside because he was a fence jumper, only to hang himself while trying to do so! If you must keep your dog outside, provide a secure, high fence or an enclosed chain link dog run, with a top for those fence jumpers or climbers. Panels of chain link (that can be easily bolted together to provide a dog run) can be found at reasonable prices at your larger home supply stores, such as Home Depot. Provide a top with shade, a dog house for rainy weather, items to chew on, and plenty of fresh water. A dog should always be exercised before being left for the day in an enclosed area, such as a dog run or even your backyard.
    THINK ABOUT HOW MUCH TIME YOU'LL DEVOTE TO YOUR DOG. People who keep their dogs outside constantly rationalize it. They insist that they do spend time with their dogs, they do feed them, they do walk them. Spending an hour a day with your dog is not enough for his mental welfare. Be realistic! What about when it is rainy, windy, cold, or just plain too hot? Are you still spending that hour daily with your dog no matter what? Making the backyard your dog's only home does not make him a real part of the family.
    DO YOU FIT THE STATISTICS? Our lives have changed. It used to be that most people did spend a lot of time in the yard; playing, working, gardening, and socializing. Now with the age of computers, televisions, and hectic schedules, we actually spend about 75% less time outdoors in our yards, and therefore less time with our devoted friend, the dog.
    TRAIN YOUR DOG! If your dog is untrained, take him to training class so you can develop better communication skills and teach him how to act appropriately in the house. If you have a young puppy, get him into a puppy training and socialization class as soon as he turns 12 weeks old. Don't wait until he is six months old and has already acquired a taste for tipping over the garbage can or chewing on your rug. If you acquire an older dog, training him as soon as possible will help him adjust to his new household and your family (his new pack).
    GIVE YOUR DOG A CHANCE TO BE YOUR BEST FRIEND! Don't kick him out because you think he is untrainable, unruly, or because it is good for him to be outside. Instead, take the time to make him a part of your family, a part of your pack.
    2. Why Dogs Should Be Indoor Pets: Outdoor Risks, Solving Indoor Problems
    When people ask, 'why shouldn't dogs be kept outside' and 'how do I teach my dog to be an indoor dog,' share this good advice, which contains guidance from 'The Great, Awful Outdoors' by canine behavior expert and author Pat Miller, published in Your Dog newsletter.
    Dogs like living indoors with their family. They are by nature pack animals, so keeping dogs outside denies them a place in the family pack. According to author and trainer Pat Miller, the reasons given for keeping dogs outdoors fall into two categories:
    * Inappropriate dog behavior that can be managed and/or modified (example: 'the dog's not housetrained'), and
    * People's preconceived notions, which can also be modified (example: 'dogs should be outside in the fresh air').
    Certainly, dogs benefit from spending some time outside. But this time should consist of play sessions in the yard and walks around the neighborhood, not solitary confinement outdoors.
    Problems that result from leaving dogs outdoors:
    * Dogs kept outdoors are deprived of human companionship and have more trouble bonding with human family members. They have more trouble learning to interact properly with humans. And without adequate supervision and guidance from their owners, dogs can and will develop undesirable behaviors.
    * Bored dogs left in yards often bark at every sound or movement to occupy themselves ... dig holes ... fence-fight with neighboring dogs and other animals ... chew and damage fencing, siding, decks and outdoor furnishings ... dig under fencing ... and climb or jump over fences. And when the owners do visit the dog in the yard, the dog is often out of control, having been starved of human companionship.
    More risks:
    * Escape from the yard, which can lead to being hit by a car, lost in the woods, hurt by people. Also: they can frighten and even bite people out of confusion.
    * Taunting and cruelty from youths or adults on the other side of the fence.
    * Theft.
    * Poisoning.
    * Neighbor complaints and threats; visits from animal control officers.
    * Accidental release by a passerby, meter reader or service technician. And any resulting bites.
    * Frustration from wanting to visit with passing dogs and humans, which can lead to barrier aggression, which fuels aggression towards other dogs and humans.
    * Illness and chronic health problems from being out in hot, cold or wet weather.
    * Sunburn or heatstroke.
    * Flystrike on ears and other body parts, which can lead to open wounds and maggot infestation.
    * Electrocution when digging up or chewing on wiring outside the house.
    * Development of obsessive behaviors such as tail chasing, fly snapping and self-mutilation as a result of boredom and frustration.
    Creative solutions to inside-out problems, courtesy of Pat Miller:
    * Good manners don't just happen. The owner needs to take responsibility for helping his dog learn good behavior and house manners. That means spending some time each day in training the dog, being sure to reward him for appropriate bathroom and other behaviors. Remember that dogs are continually looking to their people for cues, so owners must provide, look for and take opportunities to reward positive behaviors and to discourage negative ones. (Example: many owners accidentally reward dogs for jumping up by pushing the dog off. Seemingly unpleasant gestures such as pushing the dog off typically encourage repeated jumping, since the dog is just looking for attention.)
    * Enroll in a good training class that focuses on praise and other means of positive reinforcement.
    * Provide exercise each day. A tired dog is a well-behaved dog. Throw a ball with the dog. Go for long walks. Give the dog a good exercise session before you leave for work in the morning.
    * Provide the dog with lots of opportunities to display good behavior. And praise him whenever he does the right thing. Positive reinforcement leads to repetition of desired behaviors.
    * Until the dog learns good house manners, confine him in a dog-safe room, puppy pen or crate inside the house when you're not there to supervise. Baby gates as well as doors can be used to control access to various parts of your house. Be sure to leave him several safe, interactive dog toys, such as a Kong toy stuffed with some treats and a little peanut butter or cream cheese. Make sure the dog has access to fresh water, especially when you're gone for a long period. When first using a crate, teach the dog that good things happen in the crate, and reward him when he displays calm behavior.
    * Never use the crate for punishment, since that will cause the dog to develop a negative association with the crate. You can use the crate for a time-out, but keep things cheerful -- for example, if the dog gets revved up again after an exercise session ends, you might say 'Oops! Time out' and instruct him to go to the crate in a calm, upbeat voice. Miller suggests an indoor, portable tether as a good alternative to a crate for time-outs when you are home to watch the dog. A time-out should be a short, pleasant interlude for the dog.
    * If you have to be gone from the home longer than the dog can hold his or her urine, arrange with a dog walking service or neighbor to take the dog out. Some people have taught dogs (usually small breeds) to use a box containing commercial dog litter or Astroturf that can be hosed off.
    * Avoid leaving food, garbage and debris in areas that your dog can access. Clear off counters and put trash and garbage cans in closets, or use cans with tight-fitting lids.
    * If fleas are a problem, use a good, modern form of flea control, such as the easy-to-use topical treatments that include Frontline and K9 Advantix.
    * If someone in the house has allergies to animals, the best moves are to see an allergy specialist and to follow practices for reducing the chance of allergic reactions. These include vacuuming, keeping the dog off human furniture, washing hands after touching the dog, etc. You can find free allergy tips on the web.
    3. Outside Dogs: Why Protection is No Excuse
    by Dennis Fetko, PhD
    www.drdog.com
    Unless you're medically intolerant of the dog (and therefore can't take care of him in a medical emergency, so you shouldn't have the dog anyway), making a dog stay outside is a costly waste.
    If he's for protection, what do you think I want to steal -- your lawn?
    When you leave, do you put your valuables and your kids out in your yard? Just what is the dog protecting out there? Most dogs kept outside cause far more nuisance complaints from barking and escaping than any deterrent to intrusion. Such complaints cause teasing, antagonism, release and poisoning. With your dog a helpless victim, it's no laughing matter.
    If I'm a crook and your dog is out, your fence protects ME, not your possessions or your dog. If I just open the gate, 9 out of 10 dogs will run off! I can safely shoot, stab, spear, poison, snare, strangle them, or dart through the fence and you just lost your dog AND everything I steal!
    If he's tied up and I keep out of reach, he's useless. He'll bark, but outside dogs bark so much, they're usually ignored. But let a dog hit the other side of a door or window I'm breaking into, and I'm GONE! I can't hurt the dog until he can hurt me, and nothing you own is worth my arm. Deterrence is effective protection.
    Protection and aggression are not the same. Protection is defensive, reactive, often passive, and threatens or injures no one. Aggression is active, harmful and offensive, threatens all and benefits none. Yard dogs often develop far more aggression than protectivity because everyone who passes by or enters has already violated the territory that dog has marked dozens of times a day for years. That's not protection, it's not desirable and it overlooks two facts of life today:
    First, property owners have implied social contracts with others in the community. Letter carriers, paper boys, delivery people, law enforcement, emergency medical personnel, meter readers and others are allowed near and at times on your property without your specific permission. And sure that ten-year-old was not supposed to jump your fence after his Frisbee; but neither you nor your dog are allowed to cause him injury if he does. Imagine this: A neighbor looks into your yard or window and sees you, your wife or child laying on the floor in a pool of blood. They call 9-1-1 and your dog prevents paramedics from assisting! Should they shoot your dog or just let you die?
    Great choice.
    Second, even if the intruder is a criminal, few places allow you or your dog to cause physical injury to prevent property loss. Convicted felons have sued the dog's owner from jail and won more in the suit than they ever could have stolen! Appalling? True.
    And don't be foolish enough to believe your homeowner's insurance will cover the loss. Now you see why many feel that an outside dog is a no-brainer.
    The more a dog is outdoors, the less behavioral control you have. It's easier to solve four or five indoor problems than one outdoor problem. The reason is valid and simple: The more you control the stimuli that reaches your dog, the more you control the responses. You've got a lot more control over your living room than you do over your entire county! When your dog is bored, but teased by every dog, cat, bird, squirrel, motorcycle, paperboy, airplane, firecracker and backfiring truck in the county, OF COURSE he'll dig, chew, and bark.
    Would you sit still all day everyday? Do you want unnecessary medical fees and parasites, especially as the dog ages?
    When a dog is alone indoors, you are still 30% there because your scent and things he associates with you, constantly remind the dog of you and your training. When he's out, your dog is alone whether you're home or not. Do you really expect him to keep YOU in mind while the entire world teases, distracts and stimulates him?
    The media is full of stories about the family dog saving everyone's life during a fire. How many people, including children, would be dead today if those dogs were kept outside? SURE -- you ALWAYS get up to investigate every time your yard dog barks. And I've got this bridge.
    An outdoor dog has an address, not a home. Dogs offer real value as companion animals. Stop behavior problems and start enjoying real protection and companionship. Bring your dogs inside.
    4. Make a Difference for the Backyard Dog
    You can use the other articles and links in this tipsheet to educate other dog owners and persuade them to let their dogs live indoors. But what if the neighbor absolutely refuses? You'll find guidance in this article, by cruelty specialist Judy McClain, and in the linked articles noted below about Helping Abused Animals and Chained Dogs.
    As Helen Keller said, "I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do."
    Your help is needed. You can make a difference. Most of our cruelty calls are for the backyard dog. If you know of a backyard dog, please check to make sure it has proper shelter. With winter approaching now is the time to be the voice for those that can't speak for themselves.
    The law requires that the outdoor dog has proper protection from the weather. Dogs can suffer from frostbite, exposure, and dehydration when water freezes.
    A doghouse should be large enough for the dog to stand up, lie down, and stretch out without touching the sides or top but not too large that it can't hold its own body heat. The doghouse should be waterproof and at least 2 inches off the ground. Also it should have a door flap or windbreaker on the entrance during the winter months. The doghouse should have dry bedding (straw or wood shavings are best because blankets and towels tend to hold water and can freeze).
    Water should be available for the dog at all times and it should be given adequate food, as dogs need more calories in the winter to increase their body heat. The doghouse should also be in a location where the dog has access to shade from the sun. The ideal situation for any dog is to be part of the family and live indoors, but some people, for various reasons, don't bring their animals inside. Please make a difference for outdoor dogs and make sure they have adequate shelter"

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You also have a big barrier in your way - Data Protection.

If you do actually find the correct place and they keep records of what dogs went where, they cannot give you the information. The best they could do is contact the other people on your behalf and ask them if it's OK for you to contact them about the dog.

You may better off just leaving it alone. Assume that your dog was given away to a nice family and is now living happy and contented. If you start lifting up stones to look under them, you might find things you don't want.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

i think you should move on and give the new dog a good life .i feel for you .

Thanks for the posts, I am just going to move on now. I felt I could do something for her, but you guys have convinced me otherwise. Thanks, I couldn't have talked to my parents about it anyway :)

@ Honey: Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to show my parents the post (not the whole thread though!). He isn't as bad as that though, during the day the back door is open and he can come and go as he pleases. He isn't chained at night, he has a kennel in the shade of a tree at the side of the house. The other reason he sleeps outside is he's a big lab, and we have a fairly small house. Also he'd probably destroy the kitchen if he spent the night inside, he's still only ~13 months and loves chewing.

This also isn't the first "changeover" of dogs, we've had 4 dogs in the past. The first one was a huge lab we had when I was a baby, but after 10 years he got severe arthritis, and had to be put down. A year later we got a Springer, but after 18 months he bit a visitor in the ankle, and she threatened to sue if the dog wasn't put down, so we had to. We then rescued a Jack Russell from the shelter (the old Mungret one, it was privately run), but he turned out to have been seriously abused, and had a go at several people. We gave him back, as we had children in the house, and he really couldn't be trusted. As far as I know though (my Dad checked up on this about 6 months ago) he was rehomed, and has been living with an elderly couple since then. Then we got the Jack Russell that got surrendered, we had her for 2 years before she started barking at night, and the car got broken in to and she didn't even bark for that. She was an inside dog though. Then we rescued this fella, a neighbour of my Grandparents found a litter abandoned in a ditch, and we offered to take one. And he's been here a year, happy out.

Thanks for the sympathy all, I certainly wouldn't get any 'round here :rolleyes:

I hope you can get to bond with your current dog as much as your old dog, maybe you could just call the shelter and find out if she was re-homed or pts and leave it at that, just for closure if nothing else.

as for the dog you have now, as he's still young, you could look into taking him for training classes which are great for sorting out all sorts of obedience etc, walking on a lead properly etc. He's also more than old enough to be neutered if that hasn't been done already. good luck :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement