Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housetraining & walking tips please!

Options
  • 31-08-2008 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭

I'm at the end of my tether with smelly carpets! I have a 7 month old bichon-yorkie cross who I can't seem to housetrain. I think the only way to go is crate-training. I have a crate already, but can anyone give me any tips as to how to do it! I think my main problem is that I feel cruel putting her into a cage:( but I think its the only way at this stage.

I also have a lab-cross who was house-trained within a week-he just took to it like a duck to water(he also likes ducks in water). There was no need for crates with him.

Re-walking. How do I stop the little dog barking at everyone and their dogs when she is off lead? Also-there is a place where I take them both for walks off lead and they are very bold! They won't come back when called to get their leads back on when I see some-one approaching and lab-cross goes mad around other dogs, little one goes mad around people-jumping and being over friendly. Most people don't mind as it is mainly other dog owners with dogs off lead but its not fair on other people(esp the dog phobic woman who is terrified by little doggie!)

I'm thinking obedience training classes for both(and myself) I know there are classes run in Glanmire, Cork. Anyone know if these are good.

Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

We have a little cocker pup, 4 months old.
    He sleeps in the kitchen, in a baby's play pen, half taken up with his bed, the other half has a water bowl a couple of toys and enough space for him to walk around.
    He's only had about 3 mistakes since we got him 2 months ago, and could hold it all night pretty much immediately.
    Got the play pen in Smyths, cost €90, and its very sturdy. He jumps up, but it barely moves, and so far looks like there's no way he could topple it.

Thats what we found works, maybe worth a try.

As for worrying that its cruel, far from it, they love it as its their little den. She might be a little wary at first, but will get used to it.

Walking wise, we haven't tried our guy off the lead for the same reason you give - hasn't learned to return on demand yet.
    Have him lined up for training classes starting this coming week, so hopefully he'll pick it up.
    I'd say that's the best route, but don't have any idea of classes in Cork as I'm based in Galway.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Cheers for the advice. Guess I am going to have to bite the bullet and put her in the crate by night at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

You need to get her used to being in the crate and make it a nice place to be before you shut her in. Give her nice chews in there and encourage her to stay in with them. Start by closing the door for a couple of minutes while you are there with her and gradually build it up over a few days to where you leave the room.

Re the walking, you really should not let them off the lead in public until you get their recall 100%. You can get 10m training leads that can be helpful for training them to come when called. You should not call the dogs name more than once, so if they are on the training lead, if you call them and they don't come you can haul them in and then praise them and give them treats. You are going to have to work on this individually as you will not have their attention if they are both there. Coming back to you must be something that is associated with good things and fun. If they get put back on the lead and are bored by coming back to you then they just won't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Thanks for that-I never looked at that way before-why would they want to come back when I just attach a chain to their necks each time!! I guess its back to basics for me! Start from scratch again.

Advertisement