Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boarding kennels near tipperary?

Options
  • 31-08-2008 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭

Hi all, my mum, who lives in north tipperay, is going away for 10 days and wants to put her two dogs into a boarding kennel [I don't have a big enough space to take them and my two cats would not be happy] One of the dogs is a dalmation/lab mix around 2 years old. He is really strong and hyper and the last place she used she felt didn't excerise him enough. Does anyone have some rec's of a good boarding kennel? she doesn't mind travelling a bit to bring them there if its a good place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

There's the kennels in Holycross they are advertised in the Tipp Star most weeks. Haven't been there myself but they seem to be popular. If she wants to she could always give them a ring and ask to see the kennel before bringing the dog there. A good kennel will let you see where the dog will stay but important to make an appointment as kennels can be busy between out walking dogs, cleaning, feeding etc.

There is also Rowlands kennels on the way to Freshford they do a collect and delivery service but last time I phoned them (few years back mind so things might have changed) they said they didn't walk the dogs. Which I found a bit pointless in a kennel.

Just remembered I think there is a dog minder in Templetouhy not sure if she travels but could be possible to have a dog sitter call to the house instead.
    There's some numbers on the notice board at Brittas Vets in Thurles.

Most kennels can only walk a dog once or sometimes twice a day depending on how many dogs are there at a time.
    If the dog is hyper perhaps your mum could do some work with the dog before and after going to kennels to get the dog more calm and behaved. Also sometimes high protein dog food can make them a bit lively (aparently) so she could chat to the vet about a more suitable food should the food he's on atm be a little high.
    Your mum could give the kennel a few dog toys to keep the dog busy in the kennel, things like kongs that the kennel could fill with some of the dogs food or fill and freeze the kong to make it last longer. Worth talking to the kennel about.

Advertisement