Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Wierd DNS problem on home network

• 31-08-2008 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Have a home network like this:
                     DSL Modem / Router / DHCP Server
                                     |
                                     |
                    WiFi Router (running in switch mode only)
                                     |
                                     |
                  PC's some connected by ethernet, some WiFi

There is generally 3+ pc's on the network, two desktops and a laptop are always there. One desktop is on Ethernet to WiFi router and has no problems.
    The other laptop and desktop are connected wirelessly, these are the two pc's that have the problem. At seemingly random intervals they fail to resolve addresses for a few seconds (anywhere from 10seconds - 1 or 2 minutes) Pages wont load etc... I'm sure this is DNS related as any other active connections continue working fine (such as downloads etc), but just to make sure I did test it by trying to establish new connections to IP's which works, and trying to establish new connections to domain names which doesn't work.

I tried changing DNS server on the Wifi pc's too other DNS servers but the problem remains, so I figure it might be some wireless settings on the WiFi AP but I have no idea on how to configure the more advanced settings.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

One you have network connectivity then there should not be a problem.

Have you performed a "ping <DEFAULT_GATEWAY_IP> -t" to see if it a network connectivity problem?

Try 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 as your name servers to see if it makes a difference.

You could also download netstumbler to see if your wireless channel is being used by anyone else.

It could also be spyware causing the problems since they often mess with DNS settings or latch onto the tcp stack.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

firefox uses it's own dns cache
    NTL dns has been a bit flaky recently

www.opendns.org if you suspect a problem with ISP

use nslookup at the command prompt

Advertisement