Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving before obtaining a Learner Driving Permit

Options
  • 31-08-2008 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Quick question,

My wife recently passed her theory test. We've send off the test cert and application for a Learner Driving Permit and are currently awaiting receipt of it. In the mean team, assuming adequate insurance is obtained, can my wife drive as a learner driver (L-plates, correctly accompanied), on the basis that she's passed her theory and awaiting receipt of the Learner Driving Permit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

No. Your wife must be in possession of here actual Learner Permit before being able to drive. And she must be accompanied by a fully licensed driver in the relevant category who has held his/her license for at least 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

No. Your wife must be in possession of here actual Learner Permit before being able to drive. And she must be accompanied by a fully licensed driver in the relevant category who has held his/her license for at least 2 years.

Cheers. Maybe next weekend then. Or the weekend after.. :p

It usually only takes a couple of days to receive a license after applying in the motor tax office, shouldn't have to wait all that long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

benifa wrote: »
    Quick question,

My wife recently passed her theory test. We've send off the test cert and application for a Learner Driving Permit and are currently awaiting receipt of it. In the mean team, assuming adequate insurance is obtained, can my wife drive as a learner driver (L-plates, correctly accompanied), on the basis that she's passed her theory and awaiting receipt of the Learner Driving Permit?

some insurance companies (not all ) ask to see the license or permit

• Registered Users Posts: 65,444 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Moved from Motors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Like other have said. She needs to physically have her learners permit and have a suitably qualified driver with her. If she was really keen to get driving she should have presented her cert in person at the relevant centre and she would have got her learners permit there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If she was really keen to get driving she should have presented her cert in person at the relevant centre and she would have got her learners permit there and then.
    Very few MTOs give Learner Permits/Driving Licences 'over the counter'. Most insist on posting it even if the applicant applies in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Very few MTOs give Learner Permits/Driving Licences 'over the counter'. Most insist on posting it even if the applicant applies in person.

Really I must have got lucky. I had to go to naas to get a duplicate full license for my bike and decide to get a provo for the car and got them both the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It usually only takes a couple of days to receive a license after applying in the motor tax office, shouldn't have to wait all that long.

lol, try two and a half weeks. <SNIP> in mullingar.

lol, try two and a half weeks. <SNIP> in mullingar.
    2 weeks would be the norm in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,922 ✭✭✭✭L1011

2 weeks for a postal application surely? Over the counter its only ever taken 2 DAYS at most for me - Naas and Lifford MTOs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

MYOB wrote: »
    2 weeks for a postal application surely? Over the counter its only ever taken 2 DAYS at most for me - Naas and Lifford MTOs.

I went in in person, handed everything in, and was told straight to my face 'you'll get it in 2 and a half weeks'..

I went in in person, handed everything in, and was told straight to my face 'you'll get it in 2 and a half weeks'..

It varies from place to place, i got my full license and provo a few years back in 2 or 3 days from nutgrove motor tax office. Not much you can do, only wait for it really.

Over the years, between renewals, duplicates and adding categories to my licences I've generally been informed that it will take about 2 weeks and I've always applied in person (usually at the now defunct River House in Chancery Street).

Advertisement