Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooler box - refund?

Options
  • 31-08-2008 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hello forum,

I recently bought a cooler box which is supposed to keep ice for five days, (once enough ice is placed in the box). I had four large ice packs in the cooler - no more would fit around sides, and it had melted after two days. I bought it from a well known camping supplier on the outskirts of Dublin city. I like to get a refund as I want one that will keep meat safely for five days min. Will i get a refund ? Anyone returned similar products? Any help/info much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Aren't you supposed to put Ice Packs rather than Ice in them?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_pack

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

never heard of putting ince in these, only ever heard of putting ice packs in cooler boxes...sure with ice you'd end up with water everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Isn't the OP making the point that having packed the box with 4 ice packs that it only kept stored ice frozen for 2 days rather than the advertised 5 days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Maybe the OP needs colder ice.

It also depends on the temperature of whatever he was trying to keep cool when he put it in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I'm moving this over to Consumer Issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

The OP said ice, but ice packs contain more than just water.

OP did you just use ice or the proper ice packs??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

This is Ireland, leave the lid off. It'll stay colder longer:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Bring it back to the shop and say that you bought it as a 5 day cooler box and it didn't keep cool for 5 days. Under sale of goods act it doesn't do it's job. Be calm and polite and they should give the money back. If they tell you to sod off then threaten them with the small claims court.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I recently bought a cooler box which is supposed to keep ice for five days, (once enough ice is placed in the box). I had four large ice packs in the cooler -

Now did you buy a cooler box? ie keeps things cool or an ICE BOX (A Freezer) keeps things Ice.

I think the description cooler box is just to keep things cool, just because the packs have defrosted it doesn't mean the items in the box have warmed once the lid is on.

Here's a link to coolers I found

http://www.omearacamping.com/Accessories/coolers.htm

Even the most expensive says 5 Day cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭rameire

how many times did you open the box in the 2 days beofre the ice melted,
    that will affect it.
    also where did you store it to run this test,.
    check the instruction manual a it might say in small print somewhere that the bix itself will need to be kept in a cool area under a certain temp to have the ice keep for 5 days,
    just plucking at straws. but if nothing is mentioned anywhere about where to keep box for ice to last 5 days then i would expect as it doesnt do as it says on teh tin you have a claim for a refund.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

jgoodman05 wrote: »
    Hello forum,

I recently bought a cooler box which is supposed to keep ice for five days, (once enough ice is placed in the box). I had four large ice packs in the cooler - no more would fit around sides, and it had melted after two days. I bought it from a well known camping supplier on the outskirts of Dublin city. I like to get a refund as I want one that will keep meat safely for five days min. Will i get a refund ? Anyone returned similar products? Any help/info much appreciated.

Thanks

Point us to the product otherwise we cant really give an opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭10-10-20

There are hundreds of reasons why this may not have worked.

Ambient temperature, air-flow around the unit, temperature of the ice at the start of the test, temperature of the box at the start of the test, the surface upon which the box was placed, whether the amount of ice was sufficient to retain the temperature, whether the ice needs to be a solid block, whether the lid was opened... you get the point... :)

Let us know how you get on...

Oh - and a 5-day-cooler does not guarantee that ice will remain as ice after 5 days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I'm sure all those exceptions are all documented on the sales blurb. If not...

Advertisement