Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Meters in Ireland

Options
  • 31-08-2008 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Recently I have read multiple news reports and government press releases about imminent roll out of smart meters by the ESB in 25000 houses. I am interested in finding out where these meters are being deployed and also get some information on the type and providers of the smart meters themselves. Any information that people could provide on this would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I'm not 100% sure but I think this was rolled out some time ago. There might be some info on the SEI site.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Up to 21,000 electricity customers will get a Smart Meter installed in their home for free as they participate in the behavioural and technology trial to inform the national roll-out.

Eamon Ryan launched the National Smart Meter plan on September 15th. From that date, over 60,000 people will receive a letter inviting them to take part in the first phase of the national roll-out for smart meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tom Donnavan

unless you had a geothermal heat pump would you actually want a smart meter?
    Will Eamon Ryan advise people to turn the tumble dryer or any other such appliance on just before they climb in to their bed at night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

unless you had a geothermal heat pump would you actually want a smart meter?

There are many appliances that people would use at different times (off peak)if there was a financial incentive. These may include:

1) Washing machine
    2) Tumble dryer
    3) Immersion
    4) Geothermal heat pump

There are of course other loads that it would not be practical to do this with.

The role out of smart meters has an essential role to play as the energy crisis affects all of more and more. Anyone that does adjust their lifestyle accordingly will have even larger energy bills than is necessary.
    Will Eamon Ryan advise people to turn the tumble dryer or any other such appliance on just before they climb in to their bed at night?

This is almost correct. From what I have been hearing, the smart meter will do something quite like that.

It will mean that the meters will be able to send and receive information, such as when is the most economical time to use electricity.

The smart meter will also alert the ESB if someone has illegally connected a generator to their supply. This has led to dangerous situations in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there was a documentary on Channel4 the other night where they were showing people how to save money on their energy bills as well as trying to find out why bills have gone so high.

it was quite UK-centric, but they did visit a house that had a smart meter installed and it looked pretty cool. you get a hand-held remote unit that shows you exactly how much power you're using, and how much per hour it is costing you. they then went around the house turning appliances on and off to see how much the cost figure went up and down. its not just about when you run your tumble dryer, its about turning stuff off when not in use, and fitting efficient bulb and appliances.

(on the subject of tumble dryers, we virtually never use ours - partly because its a crappy washer\dryer affair, but mainly because we manage to dry everything on the line, or indoors on a rack. I don't see the attraction of them - they're serious energy-guzzlers).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭Heroditas

loyatemu wrote: »
    it was quite UK-centric, but they did visit a house that had a smart meter installed and it looked pretty cool. you get a hand-held remote unit that shows you exactly how much power you're using, and how much per hour it is costing you. they then went around the house turning appliances on and off to see how much the cost figure went up and down. its not just about when you run your tumble dryer, its about turning stuff off when not in use, and fitting efficient bulb and appliances.

The pilot here will use exactly the same principles.

Advertisement